• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry

inkstr

imported post

is it true to carry a handgun under the shirt if it is not loaded in new mexico???

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Within the law, under most circumstances, yes. However, be mindful there are restrictions where alcohol is sold in any form and private party signs DO apply to unloaded firearms. For example, you may see a sign on the door of a restaurant that says "no firearms". Those signs DO apply to loaded or unloaded arms.

Otherwise - unloaded [that means no ammo in gun - period] semi-auto under shirt, loaded magazine in a pocket is legal in NM.

If you don't have a concealed carry license and want to carry an unloaded firearm however you choose to carry it - you're legal here. There's a lot of rhetoric regarding the value of carrying this way. My opinion is any firearm you have with you can save your life. The one you have locked in your safe can't.

Practice your carry method regularly. Learn what it takes to draw an unloaded firearm from under that shirt, fetch the loaded magazine, get it in thefirearm, load the firearm and get that first round on target.

PERFECT practice makes PERFECT! Practice, practice, practice.

Personally, I prefer a loaded firearm in a holster carried openly to an unloaded firearm concealed. There is no legal consequence to open carry in NM and the time needed to fully load a firearm from concealment is more time consuming than I feel comfortable with.

Hope this answers your question.

Steve Aikens

inkstr

imported post

thank you very much iread that u could carry concealed without permit i was wanting to make sure what u had to say was very helpful and im going to take ur advice on everything u said cause it makes alot more sence thank again are u in new mexico