• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry

Gundude

imported post

PincheOgro1 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I'm a new gun owner, and new here too. I just wanted to tell everyone about my brief and uneventful UOCjourneys I've had the past two days. First off yesterday when I got off work (I work at night), I strapped on my holster, S&W .40, with an empty magazine in the well, and a loaded magazine in the pouch and went to a little convenience storein my neighborhood. (just to buy lotto tickets). I was polite asked for the tickets, no one said anything to me about my side arm. Next I went to Home Depot, walked around there looking at stuff, and I bought some potassium for my water softener. No one said anything to me about my side arm. After that I went to the car dealership in my town (PERRIS,CA.) to set up an appointment for an oil change. Once again no problems, and no one said anything to me about my side arm. Though when I walked out the door I think they cracked a joke about "not wanting to make me mad" (I would guess because of the gun) BUT... I was very polite and respectful at all stops.

Today I was UOC ALL DAY. I stopped at the Chevron in Perris to fill up, and wash my truck. After that I went to the "CROSS ROADS GUN SHOW", at the Orange County Fair Grounds. It was UOC there as well. I walked around all day with my side arm. After that, on the way home, I stopped at the KFC in Sun City, Ca. to buy dinner. Once again NO ONE said anything to me about my side arm. MAYBE I just had a lucky day, and no problems to report. I thought it was kinda funny though at the GUN SHOW, they wouldn't allow me to take my camera inside... but they allowed my gun. LOL

I hope you know about the GFSZ (gun free victim zone) In case you don't, don't carry within 1000 ft of K-12 school property.

Carry on

oc4ever

imported post

PincheOgro1, you are not doing your homework very well. The crossroads gunshow is less than 200 feet from a elementary school on Vanguard street(the fence behind the fairgrounds!)in Costa Mesa. Though there is an exemption for being at the gun show, I doubt the parking lot, or ajoining area of the fairgrounds or streets are going to help you if stopped. The fairgrounds is State property with state employees present, that means going into any of the other buildings than the hall where the gun show is occurring is a 171B violation. The Costa Mesa Police station/City Hall is just across the street on the other side of the fairgrounds, you are playing with fire OC'ing this area.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Also, carrying a firearm at a gun show while at the same time possessing ammunition which can be used in the firearm is illegal.

Code:
12071.4(g) No person at a gun show or event, other than security
personnel or sworn peace officers, shall possess at the same time
both a firearm and ammunition that is designed to be fired in the
firearm. Vendors having those items at the show for sale or
exhibition are exempt from this prohibition.
But you didn't have ammo on you (you didn't, trust me), so that's totally fine.

dirtykoala

imported post

you will probably notice that not many people notice your gun for a while. it took me months to have my cherry popped.

i wanted a cop to pop my cherry so badly, it happend, but it took a while, and i had a few people with me when it happend.

Nopal

imported post

PincheOgro1 wrote:
OC4EVER,

LOL. Hey boss. I emailed the CROSS ROADS GUN SHOW and ASKED THEM if it was OK to UOC. They said.... ABSOLUTELY.

No disrepect, but don't tell me I DIDN"t DO MY HOMEWORK, before you ask. OK?

:)

Oh, and I got out of my P/U with the gun strapped to my hip, walked right past an OC sheriff with it, and a couple of crusers idling.
It doesn't matter if the organizers of the show gave you the green light. Depending on where you parked, etc., you can potentially still be charged. Realistically, I very much doubt you will be, but it's stillbetter to carry your firearm in a locked container until you enter the gunshow's doors, just to be safe.

Gundude

imported post

PincheOgro1 wrote:
Gundude,

Even before the 11 day waiting period was up, I was reading penal codes, and california firearms law. I have found out where all the local schools are and plot my driving routes accordingly when UOC. You can go on to google and pull up k12 schools in your area.
Well done!! One thing about those google maps, some are as old as 2006 and 2007.

dirtykoala

imported post

PincheOgro1 wrote:
dirtykoala,

I don't go out LOOKING for trouble.

i didnt say you do.

why are you being so defensive toward everyone?

i wasnt saying that i was looking for trouble, i was saying that it was getting frustrating to not know what a LEO encounter would be like after carrying for so long.

dirtykoala

imported post

PincheOgro1 wrote:
dirtykoala,

I didn't mean to sound defensive. I just have a tendency to get to the point. Sorry if it sounded that way. I have talked to several LEO's, and am around them quite often and have asked them what I could expect IF an echeck happened. I just hope it aint raining when I have to get down on my belly. LOL
i would refuse to prone out until i was tazed.

dirtykoala

imported post

PincheOgro1 wrote:
dirtykoala,

well, there ya go. If that's not ASKING for trouble, I don't know what is. LOLOLOLOL

how is that asking for trouble? i think its more like standing up for your rights, you are new and you might not be aware of this, but the "UOC movement" is about standing up for your rights (not just the second one). i have no reason to go prone while doing nothing illegal.

why would you lay on the ground when you have no reason to?

oh, because the man in the blue costume told you too.

now, stfu with your sly comments and learn something.

dirtykoala

imported post

PincheOgro1 wrote:
dirtykoala,

heh..... never mind. Not worth the effort

lazy too huh? By your logic, uoc is asking for trouble. Your name isn't brady is it?

oc4ever

imported post

PincheOgro1, I clearly stated that OC'ing inside the gun show was OK. However that private show does not control all the other buildings and property on the fairgrounds or the parking lot. They just are in control of only that building that they rented for the duration of the show. I am sure Costa Mesa PD is mellow with this show, but OC'ing in the parking lot, or anywhere out of the building is a technical violation because the elementary school is a stones throw from the fairgrounds.

Do you want to be the test case? You can just tell the judge and jury that you got permission to commit a felony from a minimum wage employee of the gun show(who I am sure you don't have the name of), and see how it goes. Good luck. I mean no disrespect, but you better think this out a little more. The GFSZ act does not allow an OC exemption for gun shows, just 171B, so a LEO/DA looking for a violation may make you a test case. Ask Theseus about how clear the law is. If you loose that game, you are a convicted felon, and forget ever touching a gun for the rest of your life(legally) once you are released on parole from jail. Of all the places to OC, is this really a good one? Is it worth the risk-benefit?

I just want to make sure your OC experience is not brief, and financially ruinous. Other than that, have at it. Just because those deputies you walked past did not arrest you, did not mean that they could of. Most LEO's don't even know much about the GFSZ law; I hope you don't run into one that is up to speed on it, because your new home address will be the OC Jail(and OC does not stand for open carry!).