• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is anyone writing to local law enforcement agencies to try to get their official position on OC?

RightGuy

imported post

Is anyone writing to local law enforcement agencies to try to get their official position and policy on OC in their jurisdiction?

I haven't heard of this but it seems like a pretty good idea to me. If one had in their possession a copy of the official position on OC for the local agencies that were pertinent to them and their travels, they could present it to any overzealous or uneducated officers. I mean, from some of the posts I have seen on this site, there is not always consensus on the course of action on the part of the officers doing compliance checks. To me, the important thing is that law enforcement respect our rights without excessive harm to us and our immediate freedom. (Well, that and the responsible actions of those of us citizens that practice OC.)
If it were considered a good idea by the users of this forum, the next logical step would be to keep a database of these "official positions" on this site for education and personal use of the site users.
Just a passing thought. Maybe it's naive on my part to think that the law enforcement agencies would cooperate with such a thing. But I'm willing to write a few letters.

AdnanShahab

imported post

I actually called a number of local police departments, the California Highway Patrol, Alameda County Sheriff's Office, Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms, and my local District Attorney's Office with regards to UOC. DOJ and DA told me that they can't give any advice or guidance and to that I should read the pertinent statutes and consult an attorney for advice. The local police departments and CHP didn't have any definitive policies in place and were leaving it up to officer discretion (strongly erring on the side of "officer safety") on how to deal with open carriers. I was told by a Sgt. at the Sheriff's Office that they had a policy manual regarding what the law was with regards to open carry. I figured that manual might also have guidelines on how to deal with open carriers, but I was told that the public isn't allowed to have access to a copy of that manual.

Basically, I made an effort to talk law enforcement agencies, and I didn't receive much concrete help from any agency. I hope you have better luck than I did.

RightGuy

imported post

Thanks for the reply. I'm new to this whole concept of OC. I was, as are many others, misinformed on the issue. It is to me a breath of fresh air that we can have a measure of protection with regard to our constitutional rights on the issue of firearms.
I have you to thank for it, as it was the article in the Santa Rosa Press Democrat about you and your friend in the other day that shed light on it for me. Well done, and on behalf of myself and others like me, thank you. In this environment of disappearing rights that we live in today, it's the courage of men like you that gives one hope.
I have much to learn, but it is my goal to find out as much as possible on the issue. I plan to draft a letter that can be used to send to multiple agencies asking their policy on this issue. Anything that I find out will be gladly shared.
[line]

Gundude

imported post

RightGuy wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm new to this whole concept of OC. I was, as are many others, misinformed on the issue. It is to me a breath of fresh air that we can have a measure of protection with regard to our constitutional rights on the issue of firearms.
I have you to thank for it, as it was the article in the Santa Rosa Press Democrat about you and your friend in the other day that shed light on it for me. Well done, and on behalf of myself and others like me, thank you. In this environment of disappearing rights that we live in today, it's the courage of men like you that gives one hope.
I have much to learn, but it is my goal to find out as much as possible on the issue. I plan to draft a letter that can be used to send to multiple agencies asking their policy on this issue. Anything that I find out will be gladly shared.
[line]
Save your stamps. You won't get a straight answer out of any of them about a MWAG (man with a gun) call.

RightGuy

imported post

Well, like I wrote before, it is probably naive of me to assume that there would be any cooperation. But at least I will have tried, and I will have a record of such if there is no reply, one of non-commitment or outright refusal to grant the request of information.

And as far as the old joke that " Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity", I think that is a poor analogy. I think it's more like cooperating for lawfulness.

Unfortunately, the "law" is not apparently interested in cooperating for lawfulness on this issue. But sheep we are not, or we would not be here talking about it. The fact that law agencies refuse to offer their policies to the public is a testimony to their lack of respect for our rights, and the fear that they have for their perceived loss of control. It speaks volumes, don't you think?

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It wasn't until UOCers started encountering LEOs that any LEAs had any policy at all. It has been through our efforts that they even know that OC is legal. The various memos are a history of their education. You could ask your local agency if they are aware of the legality of OC, and even help by offering them other department's memos.

coolusername2007

imported post

When I first started doing my research I called the local PD, spoke to the Sgt in charge of training, sent him an emailwith an edited version of a letter that was passed around at that time along withall the availablememos at that time. Iwas never contacted in return by email, snail mail, or phone call.

And they wonder why there is an us vs them mentality...because they foster it.