• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question for first time oc

imported post

hello ever one,
im from fayetteville and im a first time gun owner. 2 days now. i realy love my new ruger sr9. im sorry if the question is stupid but id rather be sure then sorry later, lol.
i would really appreciate some advice and tips on OC. i know with just a t-shirt on its no problem because you can put the side of the shirt behind the gun holster and the gun will be in plain sight, but if your wearing long jacket or a coat? i guess what im asking is how do you guys OC, and any other tips will be great too. thanks to all.

Dreamer

imported post

If you're wearing a coat that would normally cover your holster, you have several choices:

1) get a Concealed Handgun Permit. Then it doesn't matter if it's covered or not...

2) get a holster that has a dropped mount, and hangs low enough off you belt so that your jacket doesn't cover the gun anymore. I've got 2 Blackhawk Serpa CQC holsters, and one is on the standard paddle mount, and the other is on a Blackhawk "drop loop" so that it hangs about 3" lower, which clears most of my winter coats (except my parka for when it's REALLY cold) Some folks use "drop-leg" holsters, but in Fayetteville, a drop-leg rig might draw unwanted attention and attitudes, between the proximity to Ft. Bragg, and the sometimes dubious nature of the FPD with regards to personal firearms.

3) if the coat JUST covers the butt of your gun a little, you can do what our brothers to our north call the "Virginia Tuck", and just tuck the bottom of the coat behind the butt of your gun so it's visible. Folks do that in VA when they are CC'ing in a restaurant that serves alcohol, because in VA, the law states that CC in such an establishment is illegal (but OC is perfectly legal...)

4) Don't carry.

If you travel out of state frequently, or spend a lot of time in your car locally, I'd suggest getting a CHP anyway, because it makes things easier if you ever get pulled over. Plus it allows you to wear your firearm on your hip in a holster while driving. That way, you don't have to take it out of the holster or take the whole rig off to place it "in plain view" while driving. Less messing with the gun while getting in and out of a vehicle is ALWAYS a good thing.

That's my opinion anyway...

CarryOpen

imported post

I 'Virginia tuck". I have two winter coats, one that is just right for OC and one that is perfect for CC when my permit comes through.