• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legislative Help Needed NOW

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I just posted this on www.handgunlaw.us

NEW MEXICO - [01/31/10] SB 40 has still not been scheduled to be heard in the Senate Judiciary Committee. I spoke with the committee Chairman, Sen. McSorley and requested an early hearing to give us time to make it through the House. He replied he is taking the bills "in order". That now does not seem to be the case.

Please get on the phone and start contacting Sen. McSorley and request he set a hearing ASAP to help us get this much needed legislation passed.

Contace Sen. McSorley - http://legis.state.nm.us/lcs/legdetails.aspx?SPONCODE=SMCSO

Thanks.

Steve Aikens

snoball

imported post

Thanks again Steve. It is very clear you are spending a great deal of time to help all gun owners in NM. I sent the Senator another e-mail...here it is.

Sen. McSorley,

As of today, I understand that SB 40 has still not been scheduled to be heard in the Senate Judiciary Committee. I would like to request an early hearing to give time to make it through the House. Similar legislation almost made it last year but ran out of time. There is much support for this bill and I believe if you schedule it early it will pass this year.

Please set a hearing ASAP to help us get this much needed legislation passed.

NOTE:[/b] I previously e-mailed you the following on January 28, 2010:

Subject: Senate Bill 40

I am writing to ask your help in getting Senate Bill 40 (Introduced by Sen. Munoz) passed this year. I am a law abiding retired businessman that has complied with all state laws, but I am not allowed to carry my licensed handgun into a restaurant that serves liquor.
The way our law reads now, someone who goes to an Olive Garden Restaurant has to leave any gun in the car, even if that person is licensed to carry a concealed weapon, because diners can purchase alcoholic beverages along with their meals. This leaves the customer unprotected if assaulted in the parking lot…..That's exactly what happened in California, when a customer leaving a restaurant was accosted by an armed robber, turned over his wallet but was shot anyway. Had this man had the ability to carry a concealed weapon into that restaurant, or his wife did, that man might be alive today. Of the 48 states that license for concealed carry in the U.S., only 7 states currently prohibit licensees to carry in restaurants - NM, LA, SC, NC, OH, MT, ND. If this bill passes, there will only be 6 states.

We believe that all citizens who may lawfully carry a concealed handgun should be allowed to carry concealed in ALL restaurants in the state of New Mexico.
1. Every individual has the right and responsibility to defend them self against unjustified threats of death or serious bodily injury.
2. The Constitutions of the United States and New Mexico guarantee the right of individuals to keep and bear arms.
3. Criminals are not deterred by rules, regulations, and laws forbidding the possession of weapons. A man bent on mass murder will not be stopped by a rule forbidding him to have a concealed gun.
4. Violent criminals know that restaurant patrons are defenseless prey.
5. Law-abiding citizens may be at risk not only at dinner, but when walking to and from their car in a dark, secluded parking lot.
6. Law-abiding citizens may be forced to unnecessarily handle and unsafely store their loaded firearm in an unattended vehicle while in a restaurant.

7. Forty-three other states with over 4 million permit holders do not have this "restaurant ban" and have not experienced any problems.

8. It makes it very confusing to comply with the current law; which ones sell liquor, and which ones do not?? Can you carry or would you be in violation of the law?

For the foregoing reasons, I feel that all citizens who may lawfully carry a concealed handgun should be allowed to carry concealed in restaurants and clubs even if they sell alcoholic beverages for on premises consumption.

Creary

imported post

Well I got on the phone right away. But I didn't double check the number I was calling and called his home phone number. I spoke with a very nice lady who suggested that I send an email -- very embarrassing. Just shows my inexperience with contacting legislative representatives.

But anyway ... thank you snoball for posting your example emails. After apologizing for my faux pas I followed your outline very closely.
============

Sen. McSorley,

First off, I was the person who unintentionally called your home number this morning. Please pass my apologies to the lady I spoke with on the phone (I presume she is your wife). I thought I was calling your office number and would be leaving a message for you to hear the next business day. I didn't mean to bother you or your family on a Sunday. Again I apologize.

As for the reason I was calling, I wish to request that you schedule an early hearing for SB40. This is to allow time for it to make it through the House, so that time does not run out on the bill as it did with very similar legislation last year. My wife and I, along with many of my neighbors and co-workers strongly support this bill and believe it will pass if given the time to work through the legislative process.

So please schedule a hearing for SB40 as early as possible.

Thank you for you time,
============