• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Roseville Ordinance

MotorCity

imported post

After reviewing ordinances for the City of Roseville and seeing a reference to "gun possession" in city parks being illegal, I contacted the mayor and city council about it. I was inspired by the success I have read on this board by others that have worked to get local ordinances changed.

It took nearly four months but the issue was on this weeks agenda for city council. The new language is as follows:

[align=left]MACOMB COUNTY, MICHIGAN[/align]

[align=left]ORDINANCE NO. _[/align]

[align=left]AN ORDINANCE TO AMEND CHAPTER 215, SECTION 215-5(A) TO PERMIT THE CARRYING OR POSSESSION OF FIREARMS WHERE OTHERWISE PERMITTED BY LAW,[/align]

[align=left]TO PROVIDE FOR REPEALER, SEVERABILITY AND EFFECTIVE DATE.[/align]

[align=left]CITY OF ROSEVILLE ORDAINS:[/align]

[align=left]Section
1. Chapter 215, Section 215-5(A) is hereby amended to provide as follows:[/align]

[align=left]§215-5. Recreational activities.[/align]

[align=left]No person in a park shall:[/align]

[align=left]A. Hunting and firea1l11s. Hunt, trap or pursue wildlife at any time. No person shall use,[/align]

[align=left]carry or possess firearms of any description, except as otherwise permitted by law, air[/align]

[align=left]rifles, spring guns, bow and arrows, slings or any other forms of weapons potentially[/align]

[align=left]inimical to wildlife and dangerous to human safety or any instrument that can be loaded[/align]

[align=left]with and fire blank cartridges or any kind of trapping device. Shooting into park areas[/align]
from beyond park boundaries is forbidden.

I have bolded and underlined the change that was made to the original ordinance. The vote of the council was unanimous to make the change. I was unable to attend the meeting in person but my TiVo recorded it so I was able to watch it later. I found one part of the issue pretty funny when the mayor asked the city attorney to explain to the public the concealed weapons permit versus the open carry law. The city attorney said he was not that well versed in those laws and he directed anyone to visit the Michigan.gov web site to get their information. Both the mayor and mayor pro tem are ex LEO. The mayor kept in contact with me from the time I brought this issue to his attention until the ordinance was changed. Overall it was a very good experience.

I encourage everyone to continue looking through the local ordinances and working with local governments to have the old language changed. This is one way to continue to educate the public that legal firearm ownership and the right to carry them is a perfectly legal thing to do.

:celebrate