• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Distance from K-12 school grounds?

milton.sheaf

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
nova wrote:
As for the 1000ft rule, I don't think it's ever been enforced on anyone other than people who were already going down for other charges. Still, it's in the books and there's always the risk, no matter how small.
Accessory charge.

I doubt that, say, a Virginia Beach cop would give you any trouble over this, but a Fairfax patrolman might.
Fairfax? I've heard of it. Dunno if I've been there though. Must be one of those towns *outside* the beltway. I normally don't venture out that far. ;)

nova

imported post

milton.sheaf wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
nova wrote:
As for the 1000ft rule, I don't think it's ever been enforced on anyone other than people who were already going down for other charges. Still, it's in the books and there's always the risk, no matter how small.
Accessory charge.

I doubt that, say, a Virginia Beach cop would give you any trouble over this, but a Fairfax patrolman might.
Fairfax? I've heard of it. Dunno if I've been there though. Must be one of those towns *outside* the beltway. I normally don't venture out that far. ;)
haha about the only time I go inside the beltway is for the VCDL meetings in Annandale.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

The federal law clearly states that you are exempt from the so-called 1000' zone radius if you have been issued a "license" to carry a firearm.

"(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;"

Notice, it does NOT say you have to be carrying the "license".. only that you have been licensed to carry the weapon. There is nothing in Virginia code that adds anything to this that I could find for those off of school property. So you may carry your arm, open or concealed, as you take a walk around your neighborhood within the 1000' perimeter.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

nova wrote:
milton.sheaf wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
nova wrote:
Accessory charge.

haha about the only time I go inside the beltway is for the VCDL meetings in Annandale.
Mornin' Nova. Question for you.

Can you carry into the Patriot Center for non-school events when classes are not in session (concerts, graduations, etc.)? I was there last night and noticed that no one ran any wands over myself of my wife. So is this allowed there?

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
The federal law clearly states that you are exempt from the so-called 1000' zone radius if you have been issued a "license" to carry a firearm.

"(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;"

Notice, it does NOT say you have to be carrying the "license".. only that you have been licensed to carry the weapon. There is nothing in Virginia code that adds anything to this that I could find for those off of school property. So you may carry your arm, open or concealed, as you take a walk around your neighborhood within the 1000' perimeter.
Is a concealed handgun permit a license to carry a firearm?

Is there a gun license in the commonwealth of Virginia?

nova

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
nova wrote:
milton.sheaf wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
nova wrote:
Accessory charge.

Mornin' Nova. Question for you.

Can you carry into the Patriot Center for non-school events when classes are not in session (concerts, graduations, etc.)? I was there last night and noticed that no one ran any wands over myself of my wife. So is this allowed there?
Me? no, university policy (separate from the administrative code ban) prohibits me having ANY firearms on ANY university property. As for the administrative code gun ban, the Fairfax circuit court upheld GMU's ban in administrative buildings, residence buildings, dining facilities, and at events.

As for metal detectors, the patriot center does in fact have them. When I graduated from FCPS we had our graduation at the patriot center. We were herded in one of the lower level entrances by the loading dock, and they had full-blown airport/federal building security stuff down there they had us walk through.

I've been thinking of writing a kind letter to the university president, asking him to consider removing the university policy gun ban, and (for now) leaving the administrative code ban. That way there is only one 'rule' for students to follow, only one that GMU police have to worry about, and would allow students and faculty to traverse campus with firearms, or allow others who carry outside of campus to leave them in their locked vehicles while at class.