• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Promotion at work and ...

AbNo

imported post

gis wrote:
While I would love to issue a policy protecting the right to carry and even go a step further and utilize our legal CCW folks in the ER plan....
1. Any legal backlash if something goes down?

2. Would the be considered security guards by the city/state in that case?

gis

imported post

AbNo wrote:
gis wrote:
While I would love to issue a policy protecting the right to carry and even go a step further and utilize our legal CCW folks in the ER plan....
1. Any legal backlash if something goes down?

2. Would the be considered security guards by the city/state in that case?

1. Legal backlash from whom? If something goes down, there will be law suits no matter what happens. If the company does nothing to pretect employees, someone who got hurt could sue the company for failing to protect them. I would definitely do that, as a matter of principle,if I was prohibited from carrying. I would hope that the company accepts civil liability for lawful actions of its employees. The law suits would probably be against the company anyway, as they have deeper pockets than individual employees.

2.I do not believe so. They are not bodyguards (not protecting named individuals) and are not guarding property/building. They would simply be acting in their own defense andcoincidently in defense of others who happento be in the vicinity of the threat occuring on restricted access private property where they are employees. To me this is the same as if you and your brotherworked fora 7/11 and planned/trained for how you would respond in a coordinated fashion if, for example, and armed robbery takes place. I would argue that training and planning makes such a response safer and more effective, and therefore more defensible from a liability standpoint.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I picked up a book a couple of years ago that basically is a carry policy for a business. Unfortunately, I can't locate it right now (if you saw my bookshelves.....). Will try to locate and post info. Point is, exemplar policy exists.

gis

imported post

Tess wrote:
I picked up a book a couple of years ago that basically is a carry policy for a business. Unfortunately, I can't locate it right now (if you saw my bookshelves.....). Will try to locate and post info. Point is, exemplar policy exists.
Thanks. I would be curious to read the wording and see the source. I know of at least one major company with a carry policy. A friend works there. It's a private security and armored car company in Texas. Any office employee can carry provided they pass the same qualification course of fire as the security guards, which unfortunately isn't much. They are also limited to the list of carry guns thatguards carry. Most people that carry there are CHPs or former LEOsqualified under 218.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Found it.

"Guns in the Workplace"
"A Manual for Private Sector Employers and Employees"
(C) 2006
by Chuck Klein, edited by William M. Gustavson, Esq.
Merril Press
ISBN 13: 987-0-036783-49-9
ISBN 10: 0-936783-49-4

gis

imported post

Tess wrote:
Found it.

"Guns in the Workplace"
"A Manual for Private Sector Employers and Employees"
(C) 2006
by Chuck Klein, edited by William M. Gustavson, Esq.
Merril Press
ISBN 13: 987-0-036783-49-9
ISBN 10: 0-936783-49-4
Thanks Tess. Will see if I can order it on Amazon on my company credit card of course. :D