• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun Gifting From Dad.

woodsboy

imported post

Im 20yrs old and Im wanting to get a Handgun since i Bowhunt.

(The gun would be backup for Wounded Game)

I have been searching Our SC gun laws for a few weeks and was wondering how I would go about owning this gun.

I am Legal To Possess and Handgun and would likeit to be in my name, but since Im not 21 I can't purchase it from an FFL, but! I want to buy "Brand New"

Would my Dad have to tell them he is gifting it to his son?

Can someone please enlighten me, Thank you

woodsboy.

hp-hobo

imported post

Since there is no firearm registration in South Carolina, the gun wouldn't be in anybody's name. It's just a gun.

As for your father having to tell the FFL that the gun is a gift for you, he doesn't have to tell the FFL anything at all. If he can lawfully purchase a gun, and you can lawfully possess a gun, he can buy it and gift it to you without anyone's knowledge or permission. It's nobody elses business.

South Carolina is not California, Illinois, etc.

hp-hobo

imported post

Hence the words gift and gifting... :quirky

That being said, if I purchase a firearm from an FFL (or anyone else) and my 25 year old son decides he likes it better than I do, it's entirely legal in South Carolina (along with many other states) for me to sell it to him, one day, one month or one year after the initial purchase. It is a private transaction which means it's nobody else's business. Especially someone on the other side of the country.

Unless of course you want everyone to believe that all private sales are a felony because every new gun sold in the last 30ish years originated from an FFL.

hp-hobo

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
I never said private sales were illegal, did I.
No, you just added your two cents that had nothing to do with the coversation at hand. Thanks for nothing.

Actually, come to think of it, nothing would have been better.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

woodsboy wrote:

Let's add into the mix that you cannot conceal the handgun (too young for a permit) and OC is not legal, so how are you going to legally carry one while bow hunting in SC, even if the game laws permit it?

Something is not adding up here - the original reason is not valid.

Gun transfer is legal if handled correctly.

The carry of the handgun by 20 yo in SC is however not legal.

Please explain.

Yata hey

hp-hobo

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Let's add into the mix that you cannot conceal the handgun (too young for a permit) and OC is not legal, so how are you going to legally carry one while bow hunting in SC, even if the game laws permit it?

Something is not adding up here - the original reason is not valid.

Gun transfer is legal if handled correctly.

The carry of the handgun by 20 yo in SC is however not legal.

Please explain.

Yata hey

Actually, the open or concealed carry of a handgun by a 20 year old who may lawfully possess a firearm with a valid hunting licensewhile hunting in South Carolina is absolutely legal.

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.
It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:
(4) licensed hunters or fishermen who are engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing while in a vehicle or on foot;

I'll make you guys a deal. I won't pretend to know the gun laws in Washington and Virginia if you'll do me (us) the same courtesy.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Uh-oh Grapeshot, now you are going to suffer the wrath of hp-hobo :)
And the problem is...................?

How better than to get another opinion?

Yata hey

hp-hobo

imported post

I find it incredibly ironic (or maybe it's just unfortunate, Alanis) that NavyLT joined this thread for the seemingly sole purpose of attempting to impress us with his vastknowledge of straw purchases, felonies and federal offenses. I think maybe it's because he hasa good bit ofexperience in the matter. At a minimum he has some 'splainin' to do, Lucy. Especially since he posted this on another forum;

"That might have been an identification requirement, however. If the military family had out-of-state ID documents, such as Driver's Licenses or state ID Cards, the military member could buy a pistol from an FFL with his ACTIVE DUTY military ID card and orders to that state. The military spouse would not be able to without an in-state ID.

There have been many instances when my wife and I have went to a gun shop and shopped for handguns for her - she tries them all out, decides what she wants, and I have to buy it because she doesn't meet the identification requirement."

http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?p=5227406#post5227406

Sounds an awful damnlot like a straw purchase to me.

So by his own admission, "there have been many instances" when he knowingly (intent) purchased a gun for someone other than himself because that other person did not meet, for whatever reason, the requirements to purchase a firearm themselves. Perfect!

I wonder if the words pot, kettle and black have any meaning to him? That might also be ironic. I for one can't wait to hearhis tap dancing.

Hey, NavyLT. How does it feel to get caught admitting to multiple felonies on an online forum?

Over and out. ;)

hp-hobo

imported post

Don't get so worked up therelittle fella, I won't tell anybody. You're doing a good enough job advertising it for both of us.

"There have been many instances when my wife and I have went to a gun shop and shopped for handguns for her - she tries them all out, decides what she wants, and I have to buy it because she doesn't meet the identification requirement."

Maybe you need to learn that people who live in glass houses shouldn't be throwing rocks... Or in this case pointing fingers and accusing others of straw purchases.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Isn't federal law over 24 hours old now that they abide by State Law?
Now if he has a federal hunting license I am going to be so envious.
Just pull a POTUS and refuse to produce your birth certificate.:cuss:

woodsboy

imported post

Grapeshot, Think Before You Speak!

http://www.dnr.sc.gov |http://www.sled.sc.gov/

Thats like saying I cant go to the shooting range with a handgun.. Read Below, Please Mr.Grapeshot

"did i not say I researched!!!!"

Section 16-23-20 Unlawfull Carrying aHandgun; exceptions.

members, or their invited guests, of organizations authorized by law to purchase or receive firearms from the United States or this State or regularly enrolled members, or their invited guests, of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting or collecting modern and antique firearms while these members, or their invited guests, are at or going to or from their places of target practice or their shows and exhibits;

(4) licensed hunters or fishermen who are engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing while in a vehicle or on foot;

Alright!! Hopefully You can read that buddy.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

woodsboy wrote:
snip.....
Get off my thread if your telling me my story doesn't add up.
Obviously not knowing all of SC laws limited me. That is why I stated "Please explain." Sorry you find that unreasonable.

You would seem to have a lot of animosity - does that work well some places? IMO - poor manners doesn't work well anywhere.

There is no "sole proprietorship" of threads. People give and take, exchange ideas and share.

You have your answer, so what else is necessary.

Yata hey

woodsboy

imported post

Seriously grapeshot, I am sorry if I came off an ass.

but your right, that's whata forum is.

just please excuse me, I just Highly Dislike when someone says i did something i haven't done.

Just the south coming out my mouth.

woodsboy.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

woodsboy wrote:
Seriously grapeshot, I am sorry if I came off an ass.

but your right, that's whata forum is.

just please excuse me, I just Highly Dislike when someone says i did something i haven't done.

Just the south coming out my mouth.

woodsboy.
No personal offense taken - my apology if I gave cause. Shake?

Important thing for me is that I learned something new.

Yata hey

Gunslinger

imported post

woodsboy wrote:

I have been searching Our SC gun laws for a few weeks and was wondering how I would go about owning this gun.

I am Legal To Possess and Handgun and would likeit to be in my name, but since Im not 21 I can't purchase it from an FFL, but! I want to buy "Brand New"

Would my Dad have to tell them he is gifting it to his son?

Can someone please enlighten me, Thank you

woodsboy.

If your dad buys the gun and gives it to you with no money changing hands--and you are not legally disallowed the possession of the gun, it is a gift, pure and simple, and completely legal under Federal law. SC is a gun friendly state, so I doubt they have any law more narrowed than Federal, although some states do. What you meant to say is you 'want to own brand new' and isn't it nice your dad is giving you a present you really want. If I give your dad a bunch of cash to buy a gun for me, that is a straw purchase. A father buying a gun as a legal gift for his son is not, period.

woodsboy

imported post

yes gunslinger, "own brand new"

i figured you would understand what i meant, i didn't wantto recieveathird party or used handgun.

Feel Free to read the whole first page, we discussed pretty well :)

woods

woodsboy

imported post

Yea, well you can only believe half of what you read and none of what you hear!

But Your Right NavyLT, Nothing like allittle determination,responsibility, respect,can go along way with your parents. AND!! If it makes a Difference I leave for basic training, May 1st, 201011B (infantry) Ft. Benning, GA OSUT

But... previous to my Army Career Move, I was in College two semesters stuying Criminal Justice..

... we never learned anything about Section 16-23-20 thought? hmm

woods