• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Practical defensive handgun course near Suffolk

WhirlyGirl

imported post

My background:

I've been handling guns off and on since I was about 5. I hunted and shot targets through my teen years with my father. Early twenties, I learned how to shoot skeet for fun with my fiancee who later bought me my first personal handgun shortly after we married. My husband is active duty military and has to qualify yearly...my father is a retired corrections officer in PA. I have head knowledge from these 2 sources about some scenarios, but I have not practiced at the range in a LONG time. I have just begun OC'ing and applied for my CHP last Wednesday. (I'm a stay-at-home mother with 3 kids under 6 years of age.)

All that, for this: I know practice is my best friend should anything happen. Do you guys/gals recommend any local courses for teaching real-world applications (the stuff beyond gun safety)? When I asked in another thread what ranges people went to, C2 Shooting Center was brought up and as I looked at their website I noticed the applicable courses that I am talking about. Has anyone gone through their courses? Are they good? Is there something else offered in the spring/summer for women specifically that I may not know about elsewhere?

Thanks for any information!

Jeanette

Regular_Joe

imported post

Check out pat Goodale's Practical Firearms Training @ http://pgpft.com/pg.htm.

My wife (also stay-at-home mom of little kids) and I are heading to his WV range in April for Defensive Handgun I and II. Check out his site and contact him via e-mail - he is very responsive at answering questions. Ask him if he has a class coming up that has several ladies in it. (even better, there are still a few slots in the April class - you and your husband can join us!)

Closer, Dominion Shooting Range in Richmond has a Defensive Handgun night every Monday. We've been to Dominion several times, but never on a Monday evening - give them a call and see what they do on Mondays. My wife has commented that she feels comfortable dealing with the guys, and the occasional lady, working the counter.
http://www.dominionshootingrange.com/

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!