• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

High Capacity Magazine

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

ComradeV wrote:
why is Utah so awesome?

Because the Pioneers whocame herewere kicked out, runned-out, bunrt-out of their homes, killed, raped, and the President of the the United States of America did nothing for these people(Mormon Church when it's leader went to WashingtonDC for help!:banghead:

The prosperity of those pioneers have not forgotten and have a written history ofwhat it is like to have "BIG Government" make your life a living hell!:cuss:

I am from NJ and I have no Pioneers in my family but I can appreicate their struggle for freedom in a "Free Country!" Don't Tread on UTAH!

rpyne

imported post

ComradeV wrote:
why is Utah so awesome?
It would take volumes to explain. To start with, if you take out Vermont and Alaska, it has some of the most permissive firearms laws in the nation along with an Attorney General that was willing to go to court against the largest university in the state to protect our RKBA.

Add to that one of the most diverse terrains anywhere, Utah has everything from desert sand dunes to white water rivers to red rock canyons to 13,000 foot mountains, all within a day's drive. I especially love the mountains, I step out my front door and look at the peak of a 9000+ foot mountain peak only about 2 miles away.

There is virtually every kind of outdoor activity you could ask for. You can go water skiing and snow skiing within 10 miles of each other. You can go from the farm to the opera in 20 miles. You can go from a monster truck rally to a symphony concert less than a mile apart. Utah is home to five national parks and seven national monuments two national recreation areas and six national forests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah

swillden

imported post

kdt1970 wrote:
I agree, Utah is a great state to live in.
Ssshhhh!

People all over the country can read this y'know...

On the other hand, it might be a good idea to attract all the gun-totin', freedom-lovin' folks we can, to balance out our continual influx of Californians.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

rpyne wrote:
if you take out Vermont and Alaska, it has some of the most permissive firearms laws in the nation
I don't know about that. Alaska, aside from not having a law that bans concealed carry, has some pretty restrictive gun laws.

The Brady Bunch has us tied with Alaska at a whopping 4 points, campus carry and "shoot first" law. (Utah's should really be 0)

* They have a weaker preemption than Utah.

* There is a duty to notify in Alaska.

* Alaska permit records are considered public information.

* Alaska's permit does not cover weapons other than firearms.

* Carry is not allowed in the following places:

• A public or private school for grades K-12, including the school grounds, parking lot or on a bus while used for a school sponsored activities, unless the person carrying the firearm has the permission of the chief administrative officer of the school or the school district.
• Any place where intoxicating liquor is sold for consumption on the premises, except a restaurant where the person carrying the firearm did not consume intoxicating liquor.
• Any licensed child care facility or licensed assisted living home for the elderly or for the mentally or physically disabled, if the facility is other than a private residence.
• Within a courtroom or office of the Alaska Court System, or within a courthouse that is occupied only by the Alaska Court System and other Justice-related agencies.
• Within a domestic violence or sexual assault shelter that receives funding from the state.
• Within another person's residence, unless the person carrying the firearm has first obtained the express permission of an adult residing there to bring the firearm into the residence.

(Source: www.handgunlaw.us may be inaccurate) :p

rpyne

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote
* Alaska's permit does not cover weapons other than firearms.
Thanks for the reminder. If HB 214 passes, it might not. It needs more eyes than mine to look it over, but it changes the references to "Weapon" to "Firearm".

swillden

imported post

YoZUpZ wrote:
yup, you're good to go... just don't take it to California... the XD subcompacts are illegal in Cali, and so is any magazine with more than 10 rounds (I think)
To get a solid answer to this, I asked over in the California forum. The answer is:

1. XDs are not illegal in California. The XDM is not on the roster, so it may not be sold new in CA, but you can take your XDM to CA. All of the regular XDs are on the roster, including the sub-compacts, so they can be sold new in CA and you can take yours into CA.

2. All magazines that hold more than 10 rounds are illegal in CA. You can take a high-cap mag to CA if you disassemble it and leave it disassembled while in the state, or if you permanently modify it to hold no more than 10 rounds.

Note that if you're just passing through CA, going to some other state where the magazines are legal, you can make use of the federal Safe Transport law. Unload the gun, lock it in the trunk and leave it there until you're out of CA. You can transport high-capacity magazines through CA that way.