• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC State Parks

Colt4U2C

imported post

Hi everyone,

I will be traveling to NC this week, and I might visit Fort Macon State park near Atlantic Beach.I know you can't carry a weapon there, but my ? is, if I leave my weapon in my car locked up in a secured lock box and the ammo seperate,can I have my gun with me that way,because I dont want to leave it in my hotel room.

chiefjason

imported post

We have this for local parks, but state parks are a a bit different. And surprise of all surprises, they are vague on keeping it in your car.

14‑409.40. Statewide uniformity of local regulation.
(f) Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from application of their authority under G.S. 153A‑129, 160A‑189, 14‑269, 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, 14‑277.2, 14‑415.11, 14‑415.23, including prohibiting the possession of firearms in public‑owned buildings, on the grounds or parking areas of those buildings, or in public parks or recreation areas, except nothing in this subsection shall prohibit a person from storing a firearm within a motor vehicle while the vehicle is on these grounds or areas. Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from exercising powers provided by law in declared states of emergency under Article 36A of this Chapter.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-409.40.html

And this is from the state parks website.

Are firearms allowed in a state park?

All deadly weapons, including firearms, airguns, bows and arrows, sling shots, or lethal missiles of any kind, or other deadly weapon is strictly prohibited in all areas owned or operated by the NC Division of Parks and Recreation except for commissioned park rangers and other authorized personnel. Cap pistols and fireworks are also prohibited.

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/faq/main.php

I have heard that you can lock it in the trunk though. But can find no official mention of this. I would call the park and speak to a ranger. Make sure you get their name as well. And the national safe passage idea get sketchy when you are stopping somewhere and not just driving through.

Colt4U2C

imported post

I sent an Email to Fort Macon State Park asking about firearm policy and this was the reply I got back....

Under current state law, it is illegal to have a firearm in a state park, period--even secured and locked and in your vehicle. Hope you enjoy your visit to Fort Macon.

Cleta Buck

Office Assistant

chiefjason

imported post

Pretty goofy, but not totally unexpected on my end. Wonder where they want you to put it if your coming from out of state. :banghead:

ocgso

imported post

WOW, that is a GREAT idea (not extreme sarcasm).

What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" are the people in this country missing?

If the second amendment were protected by the masses and the media as well as the first, perhaps we wouldn't need these conversations........