Thread: New meat

Post imported post

Just found this site and saying hello. I am retired.

Post imported post

Hello and Welcome.

Post imported post

Welcome from Springville

Post imported post

bogus bill wrote:
    Retired from what? Welcome to OCDO!
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

bogus bill wrote:
    Welcome to the forum, BB.

Post imported post

Welcome tell us more about yourself
    Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

Post imported post

Just a old geezer. Done 35 years as a lockheed guard in california. Moved here to utah. Have my permit. I am a old gun collector, I favor revolvers over autos. But then thats all I carried daily for a lifetime. Not that I havent had autos, I have a highly worked over 1911 remington - rand by packmyer too. In reality I dont carry as much as probley most of you. Lets say I rely on my nose and profile. I did a lifetime of it in a more dangerous part of the country and dont quitefeel the need to pack in this tame town. Our thing is rideing the trails in better weather on our ATV and of course, I always pack in the boonies and on road trips. I consider myself very knowledgable in the gun field as hundreds have went through my hands as it has been my passion since a kid.

Post imported post

Welcome, enjoy
    Utah Certified Concealed Firearms Permit Instructor
    NRA Pistol Instructor & RSO

Lover of Freedom

Post imported post

bogus bill wrote:
    Just a old geezer. Done 35 years as a lockheed guard in california. Moved here to utah. Have my permit. I am a old gun collector, I favor revolvers over autos. But then thats all I carried daily for a lifetime. Not that I havent had autos, I have a highly worked over 1911 remington - rand by packmyer too. In reality I dont carry as much as probley most of you. Lets say I rely on my nose and profile. I did a lifetime of it in a more dangerous part of the country and dont quitefeel the need to pack in this tame town. Our thing is rideing the trails in better weather on our ATV and of course, I always pack in the boonies and on road trips. I consider myself very knowledgable in the gun field as hundreds have went through my hands as it has been my passion since a kid.
    I wouldn't betoo sure about that.

Here at OCDO, some people OC, some don't. Some people CC, some people don't.

Some people never OC, some seldom OC. There are some members who do not own a gun....and even a few members who cannot carry a gun by law or order of a court.

The only requirements for membership are an interest in matters 2A or guns, a willingness to register and compliance with the Forum Rules posted by jpierce.

Glad you're a revolver guy, BB. This place is wayyy mostly of semi-auto orientation.

Post imported post

Well, I sure own a pile of revolvers. I mostly own S&Ws followed by colts. My top choice is .44 specials. Own 6 of them. Heres the group picture of them, if my pictures work! I also own quite a few .45 colts, 357s, 38s, and a .44 mag and others.

Post imported post

By the way when I do occasionaly carry concealed, its most apt to be this old S&W model 40 in .38 special.

Post imported post

If things get a little more serious it might be this old nickle 2 1/2" python.

Post imported post

Very nice. Very nice collection.

Is that a pre-24 with the diamond grips in the first pic?

Post imported post

Okay, for you auto lovers, here is my old worked over remington rand. Some thought old man pachmyer did the best custom work on .45s in the 50s. He was the top guru back then and did this one.

Post imported post

Here is a S&W 66-3 .357 mag I am fond of. It is ported, night trilijon sights and rare as it is one of 300. It is just about the ultimate.

Post imported post

Early years on my job I favored colt troopers. Here is a couple.

Post imported post

For a revolver man, these old S&Ws M&Ps or later known as the model 10, are hard to beat for money and availability. .38 special.

Post imported post

I like a gun that looks like it's been used! That's why I buy guns, to use them not much of a collector.
    Utah Certified Concealed Firearms Permit Instructor
    NRA Pistol Instructor & RSO

Lover of Freedom

Post imported post

Hank T, yes, if you meant the 6 1/2" target on bottom left. I misplaced the original magnas it came with. The top left started out as a heavy duty. I found a .44 special barrel off a 21 and had the clyinder rechambered. The triplelock top right was sent back to the factory 1n 1950 and had factory adjustable sights added. The 7 1/2" colt saa started life as a 44 wcf in 4 3/4" in 1906 and was sent to the copper queen mine at bisbee arizona. It later was converted by king gun works and old gun writer tommy bish to .44 special. The 4" 24-3 I bought new as I did the 3rd generation colt saa 4 3/4".

Post imported post

Love the old Colts. I've got a first generation in .45 and used to have a third generation at one time.

Beautiful firearms.

Welcome to OCDO.
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Him: "I carry my gun concealed"
    Me: "You're not very good at it"
    Him: "What do you mean?"
    Me: "I know you have a gun"
    End of conversation.

Post imported post

I have 4 colt saa,s and 3 clones. I also have a remington new model army that probley was in the civil war. That one was refinished before I bought it and a very old king post front sight with a red insert, also the hog wallow was squared up. I have shot it and it is accurate. Here are a couple more pictures.

Post imported post

As long as single actions were brought up and this is a concealed carry board, here is another option. It is a cimmeron arms thunderer. I havent worked this one out much, but if a person wanted to carry a viable single action, this should do it! It has two clyinders, 45 acp and 45 colt. A very short barrel, you would carry 5 with one chamber empty. But if you cant knock down a opponeit with 5 250 grain pills, you better look to see whats proping him up!

Now I am just guessing the majority of you guys too be young and brain washed into thinking hi capacity autos are the onlyway to go. I can, and maybe will, down the line, give some good reasons to pack revolvers. Even obsolete single actions! Do I claim they are better? No. But I do claim they have a few better points than autos, and should be considered. A revolver is simple to operate, no safetys to fumble, levers to confuse you, are more reliable and can shoot more powerfull and heavier bullets in some models. If a bum shell dont fire for whatever reason, just another pull on the trigger is needed. Try that on a auto! Also you can get a bum magazine on a auto.

I am not into useing garden hose style shooting. Something is wrong if you cant cancell a threat up close with 6 rounds and not 17! If the action is way out, you probley arent legal to start with! Just my 2 cents. I see autos as the answer for newbys that wont practice.

Post imported post

bogus bill wrote:
    Now I am just guessing the majority of you guys too be young and brain washed into thinking hi capacity autos are the onlyway to go. I can, and maybe will, down the line, give some good reasons to pack revolvers. Even obsolete single actions! Do I claim they are better? No. But I do claim they have a few better points than autos, and should be considered. A revolver is simple to operate, no safetys to fumble, levers to confuse you, are more reliable and can shoot more powerfull and heavier bullets in some models. If a bum shell dont fire for whatever reason, just another pull on the trigger is needed. Try that on a auto! Also you can get a bum magazine on a auto.

I am not into useing garden hose style shooting. Something is wrong if you cant cancell a threat up close with 6 rounds and not 17! If the action is way out, you probley arent legal to start with! Just my 2 cents. I see autos as the answer for newbys that wont practice.
    BB, you got a heckuva lot of nice guns. Thanks for posting the pics.

I encourage you to start a thread(s) about revolver carry and use. It should make for some useful (and lively) discussion.

You'll have to convince me that carrying a SA is a good idea when all manner of perfectly good DA revos are available. Carrying a SA is strictly for show (mostly of attitude)for the guys that do it, IMHO.

Post imported post

Your right, single action isnt the best. However I want to point out that you arent as hamstrung as most would have youbelive if thats all you own. It probley would be a .45 or .44 or maybe .357 if a person owned one. All top calibers. The only drawback would be reloading it fast. I doubt if many self defense gun fightsgo past 5 shots in real life. Many people will tell you nothing is as fast as a single action for the first shot, and that may be so for a well practiced shooter.

From my view, the ONLY advantage to a auto is high volume fire. Many trained people can reload a revolver as fast as a guy shooting a auto, albeit, the auto once reloaded will have more rounds up than a DA revolver. Odds are the auto is usualy a 9 mm, and the revolver guy at least a compareable .38 special, but more likely a at least .357 on up.

I have more confidence in the reliabilityin the revolver, the action of just pulling the trigger again if a bad round shows, over clearing a jammed auto. Autos encourage you to spray & pray. Newer shooters can learn a simple revolver easier than a auto and would have less tendacy to get confusedin a panic situation. I started with revolvers, actualy a single six, 50 years ago, then DA,s. I am more used to them, but also have owned a good number of autos. I am a tradionalist, and appriciate well fitted blue metal and hate plastic.

Just saying I belive new shooters should at least look and try out a few revolvers before decideing. Today I was at the gun counter at ace hardware when a young fellow wanted to look at autos for his very first gun. I talked up revolvers a little to him and the thought of a revolver had never even occured to him. He was looking right over a few at the autos like they never existed. I think it comes from the new generation movies and tv shows.