• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New meat

bogus bill

imported post

I have 4 colt saa,s and 3 clones. I also have a remington new model army that probley was in the civil war. That one was refinished before I bought it and a very old king post front sight with a red insert, also the hog wallow was squared up. I have shot it and it is accurate. Here are a couple more pictures.

remington120630.jpg

Guns147-1.jpg

bogus bill

imported post

As long as single actions were brought up and this is a concealed carry board, here is another option. It is a cimmeron arms thunderer. I havent worked this one out much, but if a person wanted to carry a viable single action, this should do it! It has two clyinders, 45 acp and 45 colt. A very short barrel, you would carry 5 with one chamber empty. But if you cant knock down a opponeit with 5 250 grain pills, you better look to see whats proping him up!

Now I am just guessing the majority of you guys too be young and brain washed into thinking hi capacity autos are the onlyway to go. I can, and maybe will, down the line, give some good reasons to pack revolvers. Even obsolete single actions! Do I claim they are better? No. But I do claim they have a few better points than autos, and should be considered. A revolver is simple to operate, no safetys to fumble, levers to confuse you, are more reliable and can shoot more powerfull and heavier bullets in some models. If a bum shell dont fire for whatever reason, just another pull on the trigger is needed. Try that on a auto! Also you can get a bum magazine on a auto.

I am not into useing garden hose style shooting. Something is wrong if you cant cancell a threat up close with 6 rounds and not 17! If the action is way out, you probley arent legal to start with! Just my 2 cents. I see autos as the answer for newbys that wont practice.

ubertiC012399.jpg

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

bogus bill wrote:
Now I am just guessing the majority of you guys too be young and brain washed into thinking hi capacity autos are the onlyway to go. I can, and maybe will, down the line, give some good reasons to pack revolvers. Even obsolete single actions! Do I claim they are better? No. But I do claim they have a few better points than autos, and should be considered. A revolver is simple to operate, no safetys to fumble, levers to confuse you, are more reliable and can shoot more powerfull and heavier bullets in some models. If a bum shell dont fire for whatever reason, just another pull on the trigger is needed. Try that on a auto! Also you can get a bum magazine on a auto.

I am not into useing garden hose style shooting. Something is wrong if you cant cancell a threat up close with 6 rounds and not 17! If the action is way out, you probley arent legal to start with! Just my 2 cents. I see autos as the answer for newbys that wont practice.

BB, you got a heckuva lot of nice guns. Thanks for posting the pics.

I encourage you to start a thread(s) about revolver carry and use. It should make for some useful (and lively) discussion.

You'll have to convince me that carrying a SA is a good idea when all manner of perfectly good DA revos are available. Carrying a SA is strictly for show (mostly of attitude)for the guys that do it, IMHO.

bogus bill

imported post

Your right, single action isnt the best. However I want to point out that you arent as hamstrung as most would have youbelive if thats all you own. It probley would be a .45 or .44 or maybe .357 if a person owned one. All top calibers. The only drawback would be reloading it fast. I doubt if many self defense gun fightsgo past 5 shots in real life. Many people will tell you nothing is as fast as a single action for the first shot, and that may be so for a well practiced shooter.

From my view, the ONLY advantage to a auto is high volume fire. Many trained people can reload a revolver as fast as a guy shooting a auto, albeit, the auto once reloaded will have more rounds up than a DA revolver. Odds are the auto is usualy a 9 mm, and the revolver guy at least a compareable .38 special, but more likely a at least .357 on up.

I have more confidence in the reliabilityin the revolver, the action of just pulling the trigger again if a bad round shows, over clearing a jammed auto. Autos encourage you to spray & pray. Newer shooters can learn a simple revolver easier than a auto and would have less tendacy to get confusedin a panic situation. I started with revolvers, actualy a single six, 50 years ago, then DA,s. I am more used to them, but also have owned a good number of autos. I am a tradionalist, and appriciate well fitted blue metal and hate plastic.

Just saying I belive new shooters should at least look and try out a few revolvers before decideing. Today I was at the gun counter at ace hardware when a young fellow wanted to look at autos for his very first gun. I talked up revolvers a little to him and the thought of a revolver had never even occured to him. He was looking right over a few at the autos like they never existed. I think it comes from the new generation movies and tv shows.