Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: OT: Man kills intruder with a sword

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,048

    Post imported post

    No charge for Md. college student in sword slaying http://www.ap.org] [/url]Buzz up! By BEN NUCKOLS, Associated Press Writer Ben Nuckols, Associated Press Writer – ThuJan28, 7:01pmET BALTIMORE – Prosecutors say a Johns Hopkins University student feared for his life when he used a samurai sword to kill an unarmed intruder and they have decided not to file any charges.
    Baltimore State's Attorney Patricia C. Jessamy said Thursday that John Pontolillo will not be charged in the death of career criminal Donald D. Rice.
    Jessamy says a review of the evidence and witness interviews shows Pontolillo was justified in striking Rice.
    Pontolillo is a 21-year-old junior chemistry major from New Jersey. He killed Rice by creating a huge gash in his chest and nearly severing his left hand.
    On the night of the slaying, two laptops and a video game system were stolen from the home Pontolillo shared with three fellow students.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lewis County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    226

    Post imported post

    Aaron1124 wrote:
    Baltimore State's Attorney Patricia C. Jessamy said Thursday that John Pontolillo will not be charged in the death of career criminal Donald D. Rice.
    Damn! :shock:

    That's just.....Wow. Protecting his property no doubt. I'm a real fan of long blades too. I just can't picture myself doing the same thing though. A samurai sword? Who has the kind of money for hobbies like that? He must attract a lot of would be thieves. There has to be more to the story than that.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    174

    Post imported post

    You can get a serviceable sword for pretty reasonable money these days. Look here: http://www.musashiswords.com I've got one, it's cool. And sharp. Would easily do what this story described.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lewis County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    226

    Post imported post

    Uhh... I'm a fan of long straight blades. I can't handle a katana. The balance is too weird. I have a straight blade but like I said I can't picture myself doing what this other guy did. Given the chance, I'd probably just bludgeon the guy to death with the dull side. :?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    174

    Post imported post

    This site might be more to your liking then. http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com All types of swords, made for cutting, same price ranges.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lewis County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    226

    Post imported post

    Hey that's some good stuff.

    I just wish the competitive market would stick to really strong carbon steel instead of the cheap China crap. These days everyone is in a rush for profits when they don't give a damn about quality let alone the maintenance factor. Oddly enough, the sword I have is cheap Chinese quality but has an odd strength and balance to it. It's usable.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Metalhead47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Whidbey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,812

    Post imported post

    Whaaaat??? Where's the public outcry over this tragedy?!? Where's the Donald D. Rice & Police Protection bill in the legislature?? Will no one stand up to the bloated special interest sword lobby and ban these lethal assault swords, that belong only in the hands of trained guards & on-duty samurai??
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lewis County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    226

    Post imported post

    Hahahahaahahahaha! Guessing from the article I'm willing to bet Chump-gashly happened to steal the guy's electronics and tried again the same night. Probably why things ended this badly for him.

    He steals stuff, gets greedy and hits the same place again on the same day to cash in on something big. Never mind the possibility of confronting his really pissed off victims. Dear Diary, JACKPOT! :?

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yakima County, ,
    Posts
    506

    Post imported post

    Someone tried that in Yakima a couple weeks ago. Didn't turn out too well. I saw the guy on the news, he's real old- shoulda had a gun.

    http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories...at-yakima-home

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Poulsbo, Washington, USA
    Posts
    546

    Post imported post

    Are there any cheap classes around for learning how to use one of these for self defense? For the price of a low-end Glock, I could buy 4 of these swords. Not that I'd choose sword over gun, if I didn't already have too many guns

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Blaine, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,315

    Post imported post

    cynicist wrote:
    Someone tried that in Yakima a couple weeks ago. Didn't turn out too well. I saw the guy on the news, he's real old- shoulda had a gun.

    http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories...at-yakima-home
    How the heck do you disarm a sword wielding guy with a knife? I'd say the guy didn't hit him hard enough with the sword or it wasn't sharp.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Mech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    168

    Post imported post

    huh, this happened at my school a few months ago...surprised they're only bring it up juts now...
    students at our campus were very supportive of John; many felt that he was justified in defending his life. According to the report issued by the school that was the SECOND time in the SAME DAY the career criminal had come back to the house.
    Personally I would have just shot him, but to each his own heh?
    Glad John's not going to get charged with anything...

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1

    Post imported post

    Aaron1124 wrote:
    No charge for Md. college student in sword slaying ]http://www.ap.org] [/url]Buzz up! By BEN NUCKOLS, Associated Press Writer Ben Nuckols, Associated Press Writer – ThuJan28, 7:01pmET BALTIMORE – Prosecutors say a Johns Hopkins University student feared for his life when he used a samurai sword to kill an unarmed intruder and they have decided not to file any charges.
    Baltimore State's Attorney Patricia C. Jessamy said Thursday that John Pontolillo will not be charged in the death of career criminal Donald D. Rice.
    Jessamy says a review of the evidence and witness interviews shows Pontolillo was justified in striking Rice.
    Pontolillo is a 21-year-old junior chemistry major from New Jersey. He killed Rice by creating a huge gash in his chest and nearly severing his left hand.
    On the night of the slaying, two laptops and a video game system were stolen from the home Pontolillo shared with three fellow students.
    Seriously, anyone who gets stabbed with katana swords will surely lose a lot of blood. Poor intruder. He broke into the wrong man's lot LOL.

  14. #14
    Regular Member killchain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Richland, Washington, USA
    Posts
    788

    Post imported post

    cynicist wrote:
    Someone tried that in Yakima a couple weeks ago. Didn't turn out too well. I saw the guy on the news, he's real old- shoulda had a gun.

    http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories...at-yakima-home
    Happened with me a few months ago. Difference though was I had my .45. He never came back. Damn kid. Stole all of my buddy's stuff out of his house.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    174

    Post imported post

    alex_champ wrote:
    Seriously, anyone who gets stabbed with katana swords will surely lose a lot of blood. Poor intruder. He broke into the wrong man's lot LOL.
    Are these by any chance the swords you're advertising?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2EQWCpnIR8

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •