Thread: OT: Man kills intruder with a sword

Post imported post

No charge for Md. college student in sword slaying http://www.ap.org] [/url]Buzz up! By BEN NUCKOLS, Associated Press Writer Ben Nuckols, Associated Press Writer – ThuJan28, 7:01pmET BALTIMORE – Prosecutors say a Johns Hopkins University student feared for his life when he used a samurai sword to kill an unarmed intruder and they have decided not to file any charges.
    Baltimore State's Attorney Patricia C. Jessamy said Thursday that John Pontolillo will not be charged in the death of career criminal Donald D. Rice.
    Jessamy says a review of the evidence and witness interviews shows Pontolillo was justified in striking Rice.
    Pontolillo is a 21-year-old junior chemistry major from New Jersey. He killed Rice by creating a huge gash in his chest and nearly severing his left hand.
    On the night of the slaying, two laptops and a video game system were stolen from the home Pontolillo shared with three fellow students.

Post imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
    Baltimore State's Attorney Patricia C. Jessamy said Thursday that John Pontolillo will not be charged in the death of career criminal Donald D. Rice.
    Damn! :shock:

That's just.....Wow. Protecting his property no doubt. I'm a real fan of long blades too. I just can't picture myself doing the same thing though. A samurai sword? Who has the kind of money for hobbies like that? He must attract a lot of would be thieves. There has to be more to the story than that.

Post imported post

You can get a serviceable sword for pretty reasonable money these days. Look here: http://www.musashiswords.com I've got one, it's cool. And sharp. Would easily do what this story described.

Post imported post

Uhh... I'm a fan of long straight blades. I can't handle a katana. The balance is too weird. I have a straight blade but like I said I can't picture myself doing what this other guy did. Given the chance, I'd probably just bludgeon the guy to death with the dull side. :?

Post imported post

This site might be more to your liking then. http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com All types of swords, made for cutting, same price ranges.

Post imported post

Hey that's some good stuff.

I just wish the competitive market would stick to really strong carbon steel instead of the cheap China crap. These days everyone is in a rush for profits when they don't give a damn about quality let alone the maintenance factor. Oddly enough, the sword I have is cheap Chinese quality but has an odd strength and balance to it. It's usable.

Post imported post

Whaaaat??? Where's the public outcry over this tragedy?!? Where's the Donald D. Rice & Police Protection bill in the legislature?? Will no one stand up to the bloated special interest sword lobby and ban these lethal assault swords, that belong only in the hands of trained guards & on-duty samurai??
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Post imported post

Hahahahaahahahaha! Guessing from the article I'm willing to bet Chump-gashly happened to steal the guy's electronics and tried again the same night. Probably why things ended this badly for him.

He steals stuff, gets greedy and hits the same place again on the same day to cash in on something big. Never mind the possibility of confronting his really pissed off victims. Dear Diary, JACKPOT! :?

Post imported post

Someone tried that in Yakima a couple weeks ago. Didn't turn out too well. I saw the guy on the news, he's real old- shoulda had a gun.

http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories...at-yakima-home

Post imported post

Are there any cheap classes around for learning how to use one of these for self defense? For the price of a low-end Glock, I could buy 4 of these swords. Not that I'd choose sword over gun, if I didn't already have too many guns

Post imported post

cynicist wrote:
    Someone tried that in Yakima a couple weeks ago. Didn't turn out too well. I saw the guy on the news, he's real old- shoulda had a gun.

How the heck do you disarm a sword wielding guy with a knife? I'd say the guy didn't hit him hard enough with the sword or it wasn't sharp.

Post imported post

huh, this happened at my school a few months ago...surprised they're only bring it up juts now...
    students at our campus were very supportive of John; many felt that he was justified in defending his life. According to the report issued by the school that was the SECOND time in the SAME DAY the career criminal had come back to the house.
    Personally I would have just shot him, but to each his own heh?
    Glad John's not going to get charged with anything...

Post imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
    No charge for Md. college student in sword slaying ]http://www.ap.org] [/url]Buzz up! By BEN NUCKOLS, Associated Press Writer Ben Nuckols, Associated Press Writer – ThuJan28, 7:01pmET BALTIMORE – Prosecutors say a Johns Hopkins University student feared for his life when he used a samurai sword to kill an unarmed intruder and they have decided not to file any charges.
    Jessamy says a review of the evidence and witness interviews shows Pontolillo was justified in striking Rice.
    Pontolillo is a 21-year-old junior chemistry major from New Jersey. He killed Rice by creating a huge gash in his chest and nearly severing his left hand.
    On the night of the slaying, two laptops and a video game system were stolen from the home Pontolillo shared with three fellow students.
    Seriously, anyone who gets stabbed with katana swords will surely lose a lot of blood. Poor intruder. He broke into the wrong man's lot LOL.

Post imported post

cynicist wrote:

Happened with me a few months ago. Difference though was I had my .45. He never came back. Damn kid. Stole all of my buddy's stuff out of his house.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Post imported post

alex_champ wrote:
    Seriously, anyone who gets stabbed with katana swords will surely lose a lot of blood. Poor intruder. He broke into the wrong man's lot LOL.
    Are these by any chance the swords you're advertising?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2EQWCpnIR8