• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Man kills intruder with a sword

Aaron1124

imported post

No charge for Md. college student in sword slaying http://www.ap.org]
ap_logo_106.png
[/url]Buzz up! By BEN NUCKOLS, Associated Press Writer Ben Nuckols, Associated Press Writer – ThuJan28, 7:01pmET BALTIMORE – Prosecutors say a Johns Hopkins University student feared for his life when he used a samurai sword to kill an unarmed intruder and they have decided not to file any charges.
Baltimore State's Attorney Patricia C. Jessamy said Thursday that John Pontolillo will not be charged in the death of career criminal Donald D. Rice.
Jessamy says a review of the evidence and witness interviews shows Pontolillo was justified in striking Rice.
Pontolillo is a 21-year-old junior chemistry major from New Jersey. He killed Rice by creating a huge gash in his chest and nearly severing his left hand.
On the night of the slaying, two laptops and a video game system were stolen from the home Pontolillo shared with three fellow students.

DaemonForce

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Baltimore State's Attorney Patricia C. Jessamy said Thursday that John Pontolillo will not be charged in the death of career criminal Donald D. Rice.
Damn! :shock:

That's just.....Wow. Protecting his property no doubt. I'm a real fan of long blades too. I just can't picture myself doing the same thing though. A samurai sword? Who has the kind of money for hobbies like that? He must attract a lot of would be thieves. There has to be more to the story than that. ;)

DaemonForce

imported post

Uhh... I'm a fan of long straight blades. I can't handle a katana. The balance is too weird. I have a straight blade but like I said I can't picture myself doing what this other guy did. Given the chance, I'd probably just bludgeon the guy to death with the dull side. :?

DaemonForce

imported post

Hey that's some good stuff.

I just wish the competitive market would stick to really strong carbon steel instead of the cheap China crap. These days everyone is in a rush for profits when they don't give a damn about quality let alone the maintenance factor. Oddly enough, the sword I have is cheap Chinese quality but has an odd strength and balance to it. It's usable. :)

Metalhead47

imported post

Whaaaat??? Where's the public outcry over this tragedy?!? Where's the Donald D. Rice & Police Protection bill in the legislature?? Will no one stand up to the bloated special interest sword lobby and ban these lethal assault swords, that belong only in the hands of trained guards & on-duty samurai?? :cuss:

DaemonForce

imported post

Hahahahaahahahaha! Guessing from the article I'm willing to bet Chump-gashly happened to steal the guy's electronics and tried again the same night. Probably why things ended this badly for him.

He steals stuff, gets greedy and hits the same place again on the same day to cash in on something big. Never mind the possibility of confronting his really pissed off victims. Dear Diary, JACKPOT! :?

antispam540

imported post

Are there any cheap classes around for learning how to use one of these for self defense? For the price of a low-end Glock, I could buy 4 of these swords. Not that I'd choose sword over gun, if I didn't already have too many guns :lol:

heresolong

Mech

imported post

huh, this happened at my school a few months ago...surprised they're only bring it up juts now...
students at our campus were very supportive of John; many felt that he was justified in defending his life. According to the report issued by the school that was the SECOND time in the SAME DAY the career criminal had come back to the house.
Personally I would have just shot him, but to each his own heh?
Glad John's not going to get charged with anything...

alex_champ

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
No charge for Md. college student in sword slaying ]http://www.ap.org]
ap_logo_106.png
[/url]Buzz up! By BEN NUCKOLS, Associated Press Writer Ben Nuckols, Associated Press Writer – ThuJan28, 7:01pmET BALTIMORE – Prosecutors say a Johns Hopkins University student feared for his life when he used a samurai sword to kill an unarmed intruder and they have decided not to file any charges.
Jessamy says a review of the evidence and witness interviews shows Pontolillo was justified in striking Rice.
Pontolillo is a 21-year-old junior chemistry major from New Jersey. He killed Rice by creating a huge gash in his chest and nearly severing his left hand.
On the night of the slaying, two laptops and a video game system were stolen from the home Pontolillo shared with three fellow students.
Seriously, anyone who gets stabbed with katana swords will surely lose a lot of blood. Poor intruder. He broke into the wrong man's lot LOL.

killchain