• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Somewhat negative OC encounter

protector84

imported post

As I was waiting for my order, some man came up to me and said, "Is it that unsafe that you need to carry a gun?" I then gave him "the look" and said, "I don't know. I carry just about everywhere." He then said, "Isn't that the beauty of Scottsdale."I then gave him "the look" again as we were clearly not in Scottsdale but Phoenix several miles west of Scottsdale. He then corrected himself and said "Phoenix." Later when I was leaving I noticed that as I was getting in my car the man had taken the trouble to walk up to the door to look at me to see where I was going.

He was probably a California transplant or visiting snowbird. My reaction to him made it pretty clear I wasn't happy with him prying into my private business and to some level he took the hint. I don't mind discussing OC and guns to people who demonstrate they are interested in the topic. This guy was clearly prying into my private affairs. It would be as bad as me walking up to a stranger and saying "Are you so busy that you have to have a Blackberry phone with all of those features?"

I have zero tolerance for nosey people. The guy has no idea why I carry. I may have a lot of cash. I may have a restraining order on someone. I may be coming back from a shooting competition at a range. I could be an off-duty LEO, security guard, or military officer. I could be someone who simply values my safety. Either way, I don't disclose my private affairs to strangers and had the guy gotten worse I would have calmly stated, "I mind my business. You mind yours. Thanks." The nerve that people have. WOW.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Now, I would have handle that encounter differently.

In fact, I sort of did, one day.

A ladygot behind me in line at the store. She asked me if I was expecting trouble, because she saw my side arm on my hip. I told her that I wasn't, but that I suspected that no one was expecting trouble at Columbine, VT, or Ft Hood, the day all hell broke lose at those places either.

She understood completely.

If your encounter was negative, I'd say you made it that way, by cutting the guy off short.

Shame on you!

NY2AZ

imported post

Iv'e got to agree with task force, however, I do understand that sometimes people will approach an individual openly carrying, in a demeaning or irate manner rather than inquisitively, or at least respectfully. If that was the case, than you did what you must ;)

ON the topic though, I had an interesting situation as well this week. I was at AutoZone picking up a car part for an uncle. When i had finished ordering and payed, the gentleman who rang me up said, "when you first walked in some lady ran up to me scared and said a guy walked in with a gun!!! I told her its alright though; thats legal here in Arizona." We both laughed, but I was kind of disappointed that the woman didn't allow me an opportunity at a riveting an educational discourse. Oh well. maybe next time.

It sucks that these things happen here in Arizona. Keep carrying & be safe

Sonora Rebel

imported post

'Lotta noob snowbirds and 'Gem Show' types out and about. I haven't had any sort of encounter of late 'cept with some lost German tourists who thought it was 'neat'. (They took my picture)

People who think themselves 'safe' are in Condition White denial. Hopefully... none of us will ever have to use our guns... ('least I don't) but the alternative to 'none' is obvious. These encounters with others whoare unaware of Arizona's cultural norms regarding sidearms'n 'take offense' are infrequent but annoying.

GWbiker

imported post

I can't say I've experienced one negative OC encounter in the Tucson area. And I usually carry a large black evil-looking handgun..:uhoh:

I visit the usual Lib-minded people hangouts: Borders Books, Sweet Tomatoes, Bookmans, Beyond Bread, Starbucks, etc.

Guess I look like an off duty COP.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

protector84 wrote:
As I was waiting for my order, some man came up to me and said, "Is it that unsafe that you need to carry a gun?" I then gave him "the look" and said, "I don't know. I carry just about everywhere." He then said, "Isn't that the beauty of Scottsdale."I then gave him "the look" again as we were clearly not in Scottsdale but Phoenix several miles west of Scottsdale. He then corrected himself and said "Phoenix." Later when I was leaving I noticed that as I was getting in my car the man had taken the trouble to walk up to the door to look at me to see where I was going.

He was probably a California transplant or visiting snowbird. My reaction to him made it pretty clear I wasn't happy with him prying into my private business and to some level he took the hint. I don't mind discussing OC and guns to people who demonstrate they are interested in the topic. This guy was clearly prying into my private affairs. It would be as bad as me walking up to a stranger and saying "Are you so busy that you have to have a Blackberry phone with all of those features?"

I have zero tolerance for nosey people. The guy has no idea why I carry. I may have a lot of cash. I may have a restraining order on someone. I may be coming back from a shooting competition at a range. I could be an off-duty LEO, security guard, or military officer. I could be someone who simply values my safety. Either way, I don't disclose my private affairs to strangers and had the guy gotten worse I would have calmly stated, "I mind my business. You mind yours. Thanks." The nerve that people have. WOW.
You might be a little too sensitive.

Maybebetter to just shake it off. Life's too short...

Sonora Rebel

imported post

HankT wrote:
You might be a little too sensitive.

Maybebetter to just shake it off. Life's too short...
Anybody ever ask you why you carry a gun Hank? No? Oh... I know... 'cause you don't. You can't in NJ. It gets annoying... and it's intrusive. Like you.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Come to think of it, when I see people talking to themselves loudly in public, as if they may have some mental health issues, and then later notice they are speaking into some kind of blue tooth thyingy sticking our of ther ear, it really bothers me - I think they are truly scaring the public acting like this - but I would never think of confonting them over this very rude and aberrant behavior.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Anybody ever ask you why you carry a gun Hank? No? Oh... I know... 'cause you don't. You can't in NJ.
What the devil are you talking about, SR?

106.gif

Sonora Rebel

imported post

What are you doin' on the AZ forum Hank? You don't OC... 'cept in your home.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
HankT wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
Anybody ever ask you why you carry a gun Hank? No? Oh... I know... 'cause you don't. You can't in NJ.
What the devil are you talking about, SR?

106.gif
What are you doin' on the AZ forum Hank? You don't OC... 'cept in your home.

106.gif
106.gif
106.gif
106.gif

Stop not making sense, will ya?

What's this NJ thing? What's this rule about the AZ subforum? Why are you interested in my home?

Heyyyyy, are you really BobCav?????

mFonz77

imported post

I think most encounters are only as negative as you make it. If you make it a big deal, or get all huffy and raise your voice, then you're going to give the uneducated sheep another reason to think gun owners are irrational or out-of-touch with their emotions. Personally I like Task Force's answer, and I think usually a good dose of logic is enough to calm most people down.

That said, some people are just trying to start a scene (though it shows you a little about the liberal mindset -- trying to stir stuff up with someone carrying a gun), and those types of people I find it's best to just wish a good day and then withdraw to your business.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mFonz77 wrote:
I think most encounters are only as negative as you make it. If you make it a big deal, or get all huffy and raise your voice, then you're going to give the uneducated sheep another reason to think gun owners are irrational or out-of-touch with their emotions. Personally I like Task Force's answer, and I think usually a good dose of logic is enough to calm most people down.

That said, some people are just trying to start a scene (though it shows you a little about the liberal mindset -- trying to stir stuff up with someone carrying a gun), and those types of people I find it's best to just wish a good day and then withdraw to your business.

One should never pass up an oppertunity to educate someone. Even if I should run into a staunch anti-gunner, it there are by-standers around, I will attempt to show them who is really the irrational, emotionally out of control people in the debate over gun rights. I like to call it the "calateral effect."

If you remain calm and collected, speak with a normal tone and smile, while your anti-gun advisary truns red with rage, cusses, shouts, foams at the mouth, kicks and stomps, who will the bystanders believeis unstable?;)

VNVet52

imported post

Someone asked me why I carry,am I expecting trouble. I replied "I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy,and I may not have 10 minutes if something does happen.

spyderdude

imported post

The idea of open carry or even carrying concealed is still alien to many people, they have been led to believe that only the police and maybe private security guards are allowed to carry guns. It is your responsibility as a law abiding gun owner to remain calm when asked about why you carry and take the opportunity to educate them. If you have a hostile attitude towards those who would question you then they might draw the conclusion that we are all just a bunch of crazy strapped time bombs waiting to go off.

The moment you walk out the door with a gun strapped to your belt you best leave the attitude at home or leave the gun at home... preferably both until you can become mature enough to do what it takes to be an outstanding citizen.

Just my .02

old dog

imported post

The time for treating these nosey people with gentle courtesy is past. Tell them to ---- off.

Or, as has been suggested, when asked why you are armed, affect a wild-eyed, somewhat crazed look and say "it's the voices". I'm eager to try that but around here nobody cares.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

old dog wrote:
The time for treating these nosey people with gentle courtesy is past. Tell them to ---- off.

Or, as has been suggested, when asked why you are armed, affect a wild-eyed, somewhat crazed look and say "it's the voices". I'm eager to try that but around here nobody cares.
This is exactly the sort of thing the gun grabbers like to hear. It clearly demonstrates the lack of self control and responsibility of otherwise law abiding citizens carrying a firearm.

old dog

imported post

Surely Springer doesn't mean to suggest we should merely lower our eyes and perhaps tug our forelocks.

I have a right to go about my life without being called upon to explain myself. Half the world's problems could be avoided if busybodies would simply tend to their own affairs. With deference to the social contract I have some right to be left alone and that includes old ladies and cop wannabes.

Pace

imported post

Hey, you have a right to OpenCarry and be an ass, I'll protect that right-- just wish you wouldn't, it hurts our cause.

People ask me daily, and I educate them, sometimes sign them up for classes, sometimes help them buy their own weapon at local shops.