• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Almost kicked out of Eau Claire Wal-Mart #1669

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

Just to note, as of Jan 10th, 2010, I OC EVERYWHERE I can do so legally.

After working the Wisconsin Carry Inc. booth all day at the 2010 Northern Wisconsin Whitetail, Outdoor & Ice Fishing Expo, my son and I went to Jade Garden to eat before stopping at Wal-Mart on our way out of town.

So, we were in Wal-Mart for more than an hour and had close to $300 worth of merchandise in our cart, very few of which were groceries, because I plan to stock up next week at Woodman's in Onalaska to say thank you from a Wisconsin Carry member. We were done and were heading to the registers when a CO-MNGR(that what is said on his name tag) approach me blindside and asked "Sir, can I ask you about your pistol?"

I turned to him and asked, "What do you want to know?"

He asked, "Why do you have it? Guns are not allowed to be brought back into the store. That's store policy".

At this point, I did not respond, I was a little dumbfounded and was contemplating what to say, and it must have showed on my face because after a pause, he went on to explain that they had a situation earlier in the week that was discussed in a Managers Meeting, where a customer had brought a .22 rifle into the store in an attempt to return it. But Wal-Mart has a policy that all firearm sales are final and that returns need to be handled with the manufacturer. I must have really looked dumbfounded at this point, as I may trying to figure out just HTF this applies to me. Then he gets to saying that during this meeting that is was reiterated that no guns, for whatever reason were not allowed in the store.

I was not going to debate this with him, I just simply said,"Before I leave, can I get the name and contact information for the Regional Manager?'

He said, "Certainly, I can try to get that information for you, I am sorry for your trouble, but it is our store policy that guns are not allowed?"

At this point, I decided to debate the issue with him. I responded, "From what I understand, Wal-Mart does not have a corporate policy. They delegate the responsibility to set that policy to the Regional Manager with regard to the laws in their region". I went on to say that I have OC in Wal-Mart in Onalaska and La Crosse and in this very store three times this month. I know of guys who OC in Wal-Marts all over the state.I do not believe that what you have stated is official store policy."

He said, "I will check on that. I will ask one of the other managers who has alot more experience in this store than I do"

I cut him off and said, "Please do. I will wait RIGHT HERE until you get back."

He took off in a hurry and came back in about 5 minutes and said,"The other manager is trying to reach the Regional Manager right now."

I took this time tosay that the right to bear arms is protected under the US Constitution and wasadded toour stateconstitution in 1998. I went on to add that Governor Doyle stated publicly that if you are going to carry a handgun, wear it on your hip. I then went into howWisconsin is one of only two states in there entire union where CCW is completely illegal. One CANNOT get a permit in WI.I pointed at my gun without touching it, saying that this is the only way we can legally carry in WI. I went on to list the 5 types of places that we cannot OC in WI. Then we went into the private property issue. He states this is private property. I agreed, that in thelegalsense, he is correct, but what makes Wal-Mart different is that it is OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. Wal-Mart has the legal right to have a no gun policy, but to do so would be discriminatory against the constitutional right of its customers, and that will not play out well.

At this point, the Asset Protection Manager approached theCo-Manager and said. "It is OK'.

The Co-Manager began to apologize for the situation and my inconvenience and for 'not doing his homework'. I said, "No, you did your homework and took the time to find out what the official store policy is BEFORE you kicked me out of the store and I truly appreciate that." We shook hands and my son and I were on our way.

I must say that the Co-Manager that approached me was always polite and respectful, with a genuine customer service smile on his face. I can only fault him for being misinformed, and that may have not been his fault, but anyway, that is now taken care of. Another Wal-Mart Manager has been educated.

CARRY ON!

Curmudgeon

imported post

I'm thinking you handled that pretty well. You did not have to cover or leave, the Co-Mgr was educated for the future and likely came out of it with a positive experience himself! I don't believe it gets much better than this. Not bad for a n00b!!

I had a similar experience with our local WalMart here in Pennsylvania, except the Asst Mgr claimed that a customer had complained.

He was not aware of WalMart's corporate policy, and we spent several minutes covering it. Next I asked him if this customer was still in the store. Suddenly they were unable to locate him/her!

I suggested that since WalMart's policy was to allow it, and the Mgr's only issue was the customer complaint, that I should be allowed to go about my business without having to cover it or leave, since the "complainer" could not be located.

He agreed, thanked me for my 'understanding', and we parted under relatively pleasant terms. He was pleasant throughout, and a little nervous as well as apologetic, so I took the opportunity to see how far our conversation would go.

For my part I was satisfied with how it ended, and I have not had an issue since. He said he was glad our encounter went well and that our discussion was so pleasant for him, despite the possibly confrontational nature of it. He also stated I should fell welcome to OC in his store from now on!

This was the closest I have had to a neg encounter in over a year, although my encounter with a York City cop was even more positive!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
So, we were in Wal-Mart for more than an hour and ...
Looks like you handled the situation very well, BS. And got the Co-manager edumacated.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

VERY nicely done!

A calm educational conversation with "this" manager and now he's educated as well.

It's always best if we can work these things out "in the moment." Just remember, if they actually ask us to leave, then leave, we don't want a trespassing issue.

Ine the end, VERY WELL handled.

Carry On.

turbodog

imported post

Nicely handled on all sides.

This is just the way to do it. A knowledgeable, courteous demeanor always proves superior to an angry, confrontational one. You didn't have to leave, but even if you had been asked to leave, the impression you made would have still been favorable.

Well done Brokensproket.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks for sharing this encounter. I guess people were just misinformed at their meeting. Your encounter should help clear up any future issues.

32HR MAG

imported post

It almost sounds like some at the Walmart meeting maybe misunderstood what was being discussed.Reading between the lines or thinking it also meant more.It happens.Sometimes I tell one of the kids to do, or not to do something and they think I meant something else.
I give you an" ATTA BOY" BROKENSPROCKET.I hope if I have a situation .That I handle it as well.
Thanks for posting.:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

bigdaddy1

imported post

Handled better than I would have.

I would have beat him with a brick (jfwy).

Seriously I would have asked for the store manager, not some "assistant" and asked to see the policy in writing. If they were unable to produce a written store policy I would have asked to speak to the District Manager. As to his being uninformed, I would not have accepted that as an excuse. If it wont work in court why should it work anywhere else.

That is if I were alone. If my wife was with me we would have simply left. My wife doesn't understand open carry, (she sort of accepts it, but doesn't understand it) and wouldn't have the patience to go through the conflict.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
It's always best if we can work these things out "in the moment." Just remember, if they actually ask us to leave, then leave, we don't want a trespassing issue.

What gave me the opportunity to discuss this with him is that he never asked or told me to leave the store directly. He left that IMPLIED, by repeating that guns were not allowed in the store.

If he would have asked me to leave the store, I would have.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

I do think that it went well. I keep thinking of how it coud have gone better, but I realize that it could have gone alot worse.

If he would have directly asked or told me to leave the store, it would not have gone as well as it did. He only implied that I need to leave by stating that guns were not allowed. I sensed the opening and took it and put him on the defense just enough.

Wisconsin Carry Inc.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

And you also handled it in a non confrontational manner. You stated your case or made your argument if you will, but did it POLITELY!

With all do respect to bigdaddy1, we will always, "get more flies with honey...."

I know I speak for the entire Board of Directors when I say, as a member of Wisconsin Carry, Inc. BROKENSPROKET represented ALL gunowners in a positive light.

bigdaddy1

imported post

I didn't say I would be impolite or abrasive, I guess a better term would be more direct. If someone is stating its policy that should be availble as a mater of fact. Otherwise its only an opinion. Other than that I would say I wasimpressed with the way Brokensproket handled himself.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. wrote:
And you also handled it in a non confrontational manner. You stated your case or made your argument if you will, but did it POLITELY!

With all do respect to bigdaddy1, we will always, "get more flies with honey...."

I know I speak for the entire Board of Directors when I say, as a member of Wisconsin Carry, Inc. BROKENSPROKET represented ALL gunowners in a positive light.
Now you got me blushing.

bluehighways

imported post

Goodshow, BROKENSPROCKET!!! Very nicely handled. I live in the EC area and have wondered how it would go if i OC'd at Walmart. I have yet to engage in my first OC outside of a firing range or deep in the woods where its just me, my GF and the trees.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bluehighways wrote:
Goodshow, BROKENSPROCKET!!! Very nicely handled. I live in the EC area and have wondered how it would go if i OC'd at Walmart. I have yet to engage in my first OC outside of a firing range or deep in the woods where its just me, my GF and the trees. :what:
Broken was talking about OCing a firearm, not your "other" thing. :uhoh:

proneblocked

imported post

Im a noob here so forgive me if this is a dumb question. Wisconsin law prohibits OC in automobiles so do you case your firearm after using it, say at the range,and then get it back out when you reach your destination?

That little stipulation has always confused me on how to open carry efficiently.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

proneblocked wrote:
Im a noob here so forgive me if this is a dumb question. Wisconsin law prohibits OC in automobiles so do you case your firearm after using it, say at the range,and then get it back out when you reach your destination?

That little stipulation has always confused me on how to open carry efficiently.
yup. Always cased, unloaded & out of reach when in your vehicle...always, until the law changes.