• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

best open carry holsters

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Holsters are something that is different for different people... you size, the clothes you wear, wear you wear these clothes, and how comfortable you are while carrying the gun in those clothes...

Finding out your options is the key though, I would look on the S&W forum to get a better idea of what is available for your particular firearm...

Personally, I prefer something with retention so the firearm won't easily fall out of the holster, and something on the hip.

I regularly carry my G19 with a Blackhawk Serpa, however, it has given my gun some holster wear that I'm not so thrilled with. I do like the weight, easy of releasing the retention, and the paddle mount for this particular holster. Those things outweigh the holster wear issue.

I also have a Safariland Holster similar to (if not the same as) most police departments issue/require. Retention is REALLY high with this holster, while makes it more difficult to draw from, it's heavier, larger, and my particular holster doesn't have a paddle mount so it's time consuming to take the holster on and off.

Passive101

imported post

It depends on the situation and what I'm carrying. For inner city I prefer a Safariland lvl 3.

On my property and with friends I prefer a Blackhawk Serpa.

hardballer

imported post

I open carry with a holsters that I made. I've tried several including, Bianchi, Safariland, Uncle Mikes, and Crossbreed etc. with Poor to OK results or lousy quality and finally got fed up and made my own. I normally carry the very inexpensive Hi-Point C9 but on occasion, will carry my 1911.

Of all the holsters that I have tried, The Crossbreed was by far the most comfortable and allowed for a very concealable fit. At the time I purchased mine, the quality turned out to be poor and customer service was not any better. I understand it has improved now though. If Crossbreed or Tucker Gun Leather make one for your gun, you might give them a try.

This is my C9 in a thumb break, Kydex/leather hybrid and fits very close to the body with excellent retention.

This one is my 1911 and is really a concealment holster but may be worn on the belt too. As a concealment holster, it is virtually invisible with a full sized 1911.

This is my newest concealment rig and it has a more severe cant for a very nice draw. This holster is just as concealable, fitting very close to the body and stays tucked in. It is virtually invisible with a full sized 1911.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hardballer wrote:
I open carry with a holsters that I made. I've tried several including, Bianchi, Safariland, Uncle Mikes, and Crossbreed etc. with Poor to OK results or lousy quality and finally got fed up and made my own. I normally carry the very inexpensive Hi-Point C9 but on occasion, will carry my 1911.

Of all the holsters that I have tried, The Crossbreed was by far the most comfortable and allowed for a very concealable fit. At the time I purchased mine, the quality turned out to be poor and customer service was not any better. I understand it has improved now though. If Crossbreed or Tucker Gun Leather make one for your gun, you might give them a try.

This is my C9 in a thumb break, Kydex/leather hybrid and fits very close to the body with excellent retention.

This one is my 1911 and is really a concealment holster but may be worn on the belt too. As a concealment holster, it is virtually invisible with a full sized 1911.

This is my newest concealment rig and it has a more severe cant for a very nice draw. This holster is just as concealable, fitting very close to the body and stays tucked in. It is virtually invisible with a full sized 1911.
El Paso Saddlery makes very nice holsters & belt rigs for open carry.

KansasKraut

imported post

Anybody have any experience with the Galco Miami II? It's a shoulder rig. I think that's what I'd like to OC and CCW with. IWBs and OWBs just aren't that comfortable for me.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I carry the Blackhawk Serpa. It is the exact same holster used by Uniformed La Crosse County Sheriffs deputies.