• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What does your significant other feel about open carry?

bigdaddy1

imported post

This question may have been asked in the past, but the search didn't bring anything up.

My wife doesn't support it, but isn't against it. I bought mypistol in December of 01 (shortly after 9/11) with her approval, but only if it was kept under lock and key.I am pretty sure she is afraid of guns. Now that I am more involved with open carry and other constitutional rights I often wear my pistol around the house. If we go out somewhere I dont. She doesn't say anything but I know she doesnt like it. My kids (16 and 13) dont seem to give it a second thought. I was planning on sitting her down and seeing what the deal is, but would like to see how some other members handle the issue.

4angrybadgers

imported post

My wife doesn't OC, but by now she's comfortable when I'm OCing. I've had guns (loaded and quickly accessible) in my home for years before we were engaged (almost 1 year ago), and I specifically asked her what her thoughts/feelings were on guns before then. (Not that her opposition would have prevented my commitment, but I just wanted to avoid any confusion later on.)

I've taken my wife to the shooting range 3-4 times over the past year and a half, and while she's not too fond of my snappy little .40 subcompact :D, she loves plinking with my .22LR revolver. Two weeks ago she actually readied the shotgun when she was home alone - some shifty-lookin' fella kept ringing the doorbell and knocking over and over and over. He left after a couple minutes, and she never had to utilize the shotgun, thank God. I was pleased that she grabbed it when the possibility of needing it was there.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Mine is supportive of me doing it. . I am trying to nudge her into at least CC, which she has thought about if I can get the right gun for her. Other than that she is for it. And lost a bet to me and has to open carry to a meet one of these days. She has gone to a few just hasn't OC'ed yet.

Everyonce in awhile though she will come out of no where with some bizarre safety tip or worry, most likely from a friend or T.V. but as long as I am reasonable she is.

B

Bikenut

imported post

How does Yooperlady feel about OC?

I'm going broke buying OC holsters for her!:D

Sabotage70

imported post

Mines not to crazy about it either. She doesn't mind CC but would rather I don't OC with her.

When we've gone shooting, she liked the S&W j-frame, the S&W 22a. She even liked the shotgun till I put a 3" mag in it:lol:. But one she didn't like was the sc .40, Which after getting my XDm 40 I don't like much either.

I think with a little bit more prodding. I might be able to get her to take a CC class.

RogueWarrior

imported post

Mines OK but she still sometimes ask why. I just say it's better to have it and not need then to need it and not have it

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Mine first was :what: why?

Later saw the benefit first hand when I had to draw in the middle of a dark parking lot after midnight to protect her. Reported but never solved.

She has come full circle and CCs and OCs as is appropriate for where she is - her choice - every day.......and night.

Yata hey

AZkopper

imported post

Sabotage70 wrote:
Mines not to crazy about it either. She doesn't mind CC but would rather I don't OC with her.
Same here. She has her CWP, and carries herself when out by herself. She gets uneasy when I OC. She doesn't have a cow when I do it, but she really doesn't like it.

Regular_Joe

imported post

First, understand that she is going to process this differently than you. She may need more time and more discussion. Sitting her down with the goal of gaining her buy-in may not achieve the result you are hoping for.

How familiar is your wife with firearms? My wife and I spent some time in the military, so the concept of weapons as a tool was not a foreign concept. Same could be said for someone who grew up around hunting or competitive shooting. Having a gun in the home for self defense seemed logical.

What are her thoughts regarding current politics? We both tend to think conservative when it comes to politics, and she thought the idea of supporting the Second Amendment by OC'ing was an effective strategy.

How safe does she feel when the two of you are out late at night? After OC'ing a short while, my wife began asking me if I had my handgun before we left. She began to feel safer, realizing that without a firearm the bad guys get to make all the decision. As an armed citizen, we have options. The last time my wife met her friends at a local coffee shop at night, they asked *her* to walk them out!

I say we, because she has followed down both the OC and CC trail, not because I pushed, but because she had the time to think through it and make her own decision. We got to spend a lot of time together visiting ranges so that she could try out several handguns - that was a blast!

Ask her to accompany you to a range when the range is fairly quiet (call to see when this is). Rent or borrow a 22 rifle, then when she can load, shoot and clear, move her to a small caliber handgun (.22, .25, .380..). We are always nervous about stuff we don't know a lot about - she just needs some time to slowly build confidence.

I learned a lot about my wife through this process and have a lot of respect for her ability to handle herself and her Sig P239. Good luck with the adventure, and let us know how it goes!

Springfield45

imported post

Mrs. Springfield usually OC's her Sig P226 in .40S&W, when OC isn't the best option for her, she conceals her Glock 27 .40S&W instead. We also enjoy frequent range trips together when our schedules allow. We have been together for about
3 years, before we met, she never even handled a firearm, but was curious to go
shooting. After she felt comfortable handling a firearm safely, and becoming rather
accurate with it, she was eager to get her LTCF.

~~Springfield

CarryOpen

imported post

My wife comes from a country where guns are illegal and crime is low. She thinks that gun crime is high here because we have guns. When we first got married she told me that she didn't want me to own guns - it was a compromise that she had to make because I was basically born with a 22 in my hand. She doesn't believe in using a gun to defend herself - she says she'd rather die than shoot someone. It was a major feat just to get her interested in going to the range.

All that being said, my wife doesn't seem to have a problem with me OC'ing, we just decided to accept our political differences.

At some point I may have to defend her, maybe then she'll take it more seriously.

bigdaddy1

imported post

She did say she would rather I CC, butits not an option at this time in Wisconsin. She generally doesn't have any fear when we are out, I am not small, and used to be (in my younger days) a bit of a scrapper:lol:. I am not a young man anymore and cant move like I used to. If something were to happen I may not be able to defend her as well

l also believe that the right to bear arms should be exercised. I don't think she really understands the whole 2A thing. She grew up with a family that didn't have guns, and probably didn't talk about it.The funny thing is her dad decided about a year ago to get a revolver. I really didn't ask him why he felt it was time, but applauded his decision.

bigdaddy1

imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
My wife comes from a country where guns are illegal and crime is low.

What country does she come from? From what I have heard most countries that outlaw ownership of guns have skewed visions of the crime statistics because they don't get reported on in the paper and news programs.

I grew up in a quiet neighborhood, and crime happened on the "north" side of the city. It wasn't until I had moved out of my parents house and was on my own that I realized that crime isn't just what you hear about on the news.

streetdoc

imported post

My wife only gets upset when I try to carry her gun, if I am OC'ing my own its OK. If I actually tried to take it from her I'm likely to get shot :what: All kidding aside, initially she didn't like it but changed her mine after she got her own gun and started OC'ing. I OC about 90% of the time and she OC's about 30% of the time but its always with her.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

My wife OC's... and has done so from day one. She also has an AZ CWP for traveling beyond AZ into TX etc. where OC is not recognized. When I'm not home she keeps 'something' handy-by but does not carry in the house. (I do) She's a very proficient shooter as well.

Scrub

imported post

My wife's step dad is a now retired LEO so she did not make any issue about it when I started to OC, but she found it a bit odd.

She started watching the news, and decided to go with me when I took CHP class so she could have one too. We should be applying for them shortly, as soon as we have the $$. I don't see her doing much OC because of her line of work, but will CC as she thinks necessary when she gets her permit. Biggest deal is I did not push, I just let her decide for herself.

Doesn't care to shoot much, but can handle her revolver fine. She was very happy to get it when I bought it for her. She has agreed that she should make an occasional range trip to be sure she stay familiar with her S&W and on target with her shots.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
My insignificant other hates it. We are getting divorced in two weeks, thank goodness. My significant other understands it and supports it, I just haven't got her to carry yet. She loves that I took her daughter shooting at 12 and taught her about guns too!
Good hindsight is not so good. Good foresight is considerably better. You now have a considerable dose of both - welcome to the club. :)

Yata hey

Diocoles

imported post

Mine thinks CC is good, but OC is just asking for trouble.

Doesn't understand it can prevent trouble and be easier to access in very short order.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

Mine OC's as well so it's not an issue. She doesn't always carry...if she's with me, and especially now that I have my CHP; but, when I OC now, I usually have a BUG concealed on me that I can hand her, if needed.