• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What does your significant other feel about open carry?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Wife is fine with my CC.

When it comes to OC, she says "Baaaaa, Baaaaa" with maybe a bleat thrown in.

She has many other redeeming qualities, however.:D
Her selection of spousal unit is superior, right? :)

Yata hey

45acpForMe

imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
When it comes to OC, she says "Baaaaa, Baaaaa" with maybe a bleat thrown in.
So do you purposely OC in the bedroom? (forgive me... I couldn't resist)

My Ex-wife doesn't like it but understands it is the law in VA for restaurants serving alcohol. Once the law is changed I am sure she will be totally against it. She condescendingly criticizes me for OC-ing around the house. I guess in her eyes I should lock the gun away as soon as I get home and rearm when I leave the house. That is definitely not the way I see it!

CarryOpen

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
CarryOpen wrote:
My wife comes from a country where guns are illegal and crime is low.

What country does she come from? From what I have heard most countries that outlaw ownership of guns have skewed visions of the crime statistics because they don't get reported on in the paper and news programs.

I grew up in a quiet neighborhood, and crime happened on the "north" side of the city. It wasn't until I had moved out of my parents house and was on my own that I realized that crime isn't just what you hear about on the news.
Japan - you are correct that much of the crime goes unreported there, but they still have a very low incidence of violent crime. What crime they do tend to have is either criminal-on-criminal or crime against women that goes unreported/uninvestigated. Most of that is not done with weapons though, from my understanding, so I can still see where she comes from, we just don't agree about it.

She says the difference is guns, I say the difference is the way they are socialized.

bigdaddy1

imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
She says the difference is guns, I say the difference is the way they are socialized.
I agree with that. I watched a program about Japan on TLC, and they did say that the crime rate is very low. Most reported crimes are non-violent such as pick-pocket or burglary and petty theft. The Japanese culture is all about honor, and very strict. Then they tell of the Yakuza, an ultra-viloent sub-culture inJapan. Unfortunately your wife is no longer in Japan, and needs to adapt to the more western style culture. The USA is a violent culture, that is true, but as said in the past. An armed society is a polite society.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

My fiance is fine with OC, until it brings any negative attention. But she is pro CC for her self. She finds it ironic many womens groups are anti gun, when if anything a firearm would put a woman on an even plane with almost anyone. But that's another topic all together i suppose.

The best way to start anyone who is anti/afraid shooting, if you can, is with a 22, and lots of ear protection. I like the reactive targets, works very well if they are competitive.

When presented with the overwhelming statistics of how many rapes/robberies/homicides are prevented every year by legal gun use. Brandishing or firing, It should become a "no brainer" IMO

I still cannot get my sister, who lives alone with 1 child, to even own a firearm. I offered to pay at least 50% of a pistol, and all of a shotgun. But that's a work in progress i guess.

Cracker

imported post

Mine was not a fan when I started but, as she began to hear stories about poeple being robbed, beaten. stabbed, shot, etc... She started to understand why I prefer to OC. She now see OC as a deterent since most BG's look for an easy score. I also explained that OC'ers (and CC'ers) do the community a service that should be looked upon highly as we are taking others well being into our own hands and are willing to defend those around us if the need arises.

So, now, after a few months, the wife is fine with it.

cscitney87

imported post

I had a pistol before my significant other. She thought it was good to have in emergencies. A month later- in broad daylight- my neighbors house was robbed. The two house doors (mine and neighbors) are not more than 5 feet apart- needless to say- my lady was frightened by the news. She got her Bersa 9mm the next day. We shoot weekly.

Saying that- I have the up most respect for my significant other- but I wouldn't spend my time with her if she couldn't comprehend the pros (and cons) of open carry.