• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Picky Seating

impulse

imported post

So I went to grab a bite to eat with a friend last night. We went to In-N-Out on Rural and the 202 in Tempe. We order food grab our cup, fill up and he sits down at the "bar". (Stools with a counter top). I proceed to walk to the other side of the store, and sat right by the entrance with my back to the wall. He gets up and walks over and sits down, and asks " Why did you walk to the other side of the store?". I told him I do not like people behind me if I can avoid it, and want to be as close to the exit as possible. He looked at me with a confused look, and I further explained if a SHTF situation pops up, we are closer to the exit. And we can also watch everyone entering the store. He goes " a little paranoid don't you think? Do you think like this everywhere you go?" I replied, " Paranoid, no. Prepared yes. And the only time I am not thinking this is when I am sleeping. And even at that my mind is racing in a dream"

P.S. I was OC'ing also, so I am definately not going to sit on a stool and allow people to walk behind me.

JesseL

imported post

I never sit with my back to a door. I try to site where I can see all the entrances and where nobody can get behind me, and if there's more than me on one side of a table I prefer to sit at the left end (being that I'm left handed).

protector84

imported post

As long as I can remember, it has been second-nature for me to position myself in any public place in such a way as to give me the maximum degrees of view and freedom of movement. In most layouts this results me being seated towards one of the corners of the room generally facing outward toward the room itself. If I'm in lines I generally stand parallel to the line and perpendicular to the others in the line. I never really actively thought about these things very much as most of it is just instinct and common sense for those in condition yellow.

mFonz77

imported post

protector84 wrote:
As long as I can remember, it has been second-nature for me to position myself in any public place in such a way as to give me the maximum degrees of view and freedom of movement. In most layouts this results me being seated towards one of the corners of the room generally facing outward toward the room itself. If I'm in lines I generally stand parallel to the line and perpendicular to the others in the line. I never really actively thought about these things very much as most of it is just instinct and common sense for those in condition yellow.
+1. I usually CC but ESPECIALLY when I OC I do not want someone to be behind me if my movement is in any way restricted. I guess it does come across as paranoid to someone who doesn't think that way, but I can't say I blame them. It's like how math doesn't make sense until you learn how it works... :)

JesseL

imported post

I've never been to an OC dinner, but they must look like The Last Supper with everyone sitting on one side of the table watching the door.

;)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

JesseL wrote:
I've never been to an OC dinner, but they must look like The Last Supper with everyone sitting on one side of the table watching the door.

;)
:monkey:celebrate:celebrate:celebrateLMAO! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:monkey

GWbiker

imported post

JesseL wrote:

;)

That's cute...:lol:

So why not attend our next OC dinner in Glendale on February 20. It's at Chinese Buffet, 2386 N. Alma School rd.

See first hand if you're correct on the seating.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I do this even when I have no tools on my person.

Scratch that, ESPECIALLY when I have no tools on my person.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

GWbiker wrote:
JesseL wrote:

;)
That's cute...:lol:

So why not attend our next OC dinner in Glendale on February 20. It's at Chinese Buffet, 2386 N. Alma School rd.

See first hand if you're correct on the seating.
It would seem to me that under those circumstances, you wouldn't have to sweat it. With the place being full of guns and all... It would be the only place you wouldn't have to be that 'paranoid.'

In fact, I think that'll be my point to make... When I finally get to attend one, I'll be completely unarmed, sit with my back to the door, and allow myself the luxury of "Condition White" for the first time if nearly 20 years...

Dahwg

imported post

I've even got my wife trained for this. She knows that I will ignore her seating choice if it is not tactically smart. So she picks tactically.

PavePusher

imported post

If I ever open some kind of sit-down business, it will be laid out so that no-one has to keep their back to the entrance, customers or employees.

Packer fan

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
PavePusher wrote:
If I ever open some kind of sit-down business, it will be laid out so that no-one has to keep their back to the entrance, customers or employees.
So the employees will serve the customers from behind their backs? :what:

ROFL :lol:I can see it now. All the outside walls has one big bench the tables have a few breaks in them top allow seating and thekitchen is a squarein the middle with glass proof windows. The servers going in and out the North, West, East, South, doors. The wash rooms have one way glass so as you sit on the throne you can see who comes in and out. I think I saw that on TV once.:lol:

The theme of the restaurant would be The Last Supper.:p

PavePusher

imported post

Packer fan wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
PavePusher wrote:
So the employees will serve the customers from behind their backs? :what:

ROFL :lol:I can see it now. All the outside walls has one big bench the tables have a few breaks in them top allow seating and thekitchen is a squarein the middle with glass proof windows. The servers going in and out the North, West, East, South, doors. The wash rooms have one way glass so as you sit on the throne you can see who comes in and out. I think I saw that on TV once.:lol:

The theme of the restaurant would be The Last Supper.:p

I'm going to build a restaurant inside a Klein Bottle which will be inside a tesseract. You can only enter via the fifth dimension, through a door in the back of a dis-used wardrobe, after calling ahead for reservations from an obsolete British phone box that only appears on random street-cornors on the 32nd day of January.

:p:celebrate

O.K., I may have worded my first post a little akwardly, but you get the point...Gosh, you guys are picky! :lol:

PT111

imported post

Dahwg wrote:
I've even got my wife trained for this. She knows that I will ignore her seating choice if it is not tactically smart. So she picks tactically.
I know, you sit so you can face the door and your wife with her back to the door. That way when the BG walks in and starts shooting you can use her as a shield. :p

Ltp0wer

imported post

I do this for the most part. I usually try to sit in a place where my gun isn't visible.

Like, if going to a restaurant, I'll sit on the side of the booth that makes my holster face the wall.