• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

registration question

Mike In Reno

imported post

my dad gave me his 45 for my 21st bday, he lives in CA, i live in reno, do i need to reg my handgun with the county? or am i good to go?

Sabotage70

imported post

You should be good to go. Clark county is the only one you have to register. As far as doing a firearms transfer I have no idea. Last year my mom brought up a pistol from Kali and all we did was go to the police station and register it. And she didn't even have to be there for that. Again that was for the Clark county handgun registration.

Vegassteve

imported post

Mike In Reno wrote:
ok cool, i asked this question on another site and they claim it has to go from a cali FFL to a NV FFL
I think that is true. Interstate transfers unless it was from a will do have to go through a FFL.

jfrey123

imported post

Mike In Reno wrote:
are you certain? i dont see a big deal, my dad is a retired cop, and i dont plan on doing anything illegal

It's a Federal Law. Handguns coming from one state have to be transferred through an FFL. Basically pops brings the gun to NV FFL (or mails it to one) and you'll have to pay a Brady fee and transfer fee to take possession.

Not saying it's right, but it's the way it is.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

Vegassteve

imported post

Mike In Reno wrote:
are you certain? i dont see a big deal, my dad is a retired cop, and i dont plan on doing anything illegal

None of that really matters when it comes to what the law is. Federal law bars any transfer outside of a will between state lines. If you both lived in the same state it is different but a transfer across state lines is a federal issue.

Check this link section 922. http://www.nraila.org/federalfirearms.htm#Sec. 921

Mike In Reno

imported post

dammit, i really dont feel like spending the extra money, i dont shoot it, its just a father-son hand-down. something i will give my son one day

Vegassteve

imported post

Mike In Reno wrote:
dammit, i really dont feel like spending the extra money, i dont shoot it, its just a father-son hand-down. something i will give my son one day

Gee ask dear ol dad the ex cop if thats how he felt about all the people he caught that commit a felony.

Vegassteve

imported post

Mike In Reno wrote:
i already did, he told me not to worry about it, it stays in the safe.
Well if it stays in your safe that makes it no less legal. Do as you wish though. Dads and excop and they are above the law.

jfrey123

imported post

Mike In Reno wrote:
according to the sheriffs dept, im good to go, no problems

Sheriff's are versed in local ordinances only, and there is no NRS prohibiting what you're discussing. What we're referencing is Federal code.

I had a friend who was in this exact spot, and the local ATF office verified to methat a father handing a pistol down from CA to NV resident is a no-no. Now, probably nothing bad will ever come from it, but we are just confirming what you saidyou were told in your second post. LEGALLY, it needs to be done through a NV FFL. Local ATF number is (775) 784-5251 to confirm.

We're just giving you the information. What you choose to do with it isup to you. :celebrate

Mike In Reno

imported post

well then i will leave it alone
case closed
thanks for all the feedback guys
jfrey123 wrote:
Mike In Reno wrote:
according to the sheriffs dept, im good to go, no problems

Sheriff's are versed in local ordinances only, and there is no NRS prohibiting what you're discussing. What we're referencing is Federal code.

I had a friend who was in this exact spot, and the local ATF office verified to methat a father handing a pistol down from CA to NV resident is a no-no. Now, probably nothing bad will ever come from it, but we are just confirming what you saidyou were told in your second post. LEGALLY, it needs to be done through a NV FFL. Local ATF number is (775) 784-5251 to confirm.

We're just giving you the information. What you choose to do with it isup to you. :celebrate