• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ammo life expectancy

rhnhjh79

imported post

Igot one how long will ammo last? I bought a box of gold dots about a year ago. and inVA. the weather is humid. So would that make them go out (expire)sooner?

Hayashi Killian

imported post

If you are concerned about ammo then do the right thing and go and use it.

As long as the ammo isn't submerged in moisture for anything more than a second or two, you're fine. Humid environments are fine as long as you treat things fine.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Your ammo will last longer than you do if stored properly. Cool , dry and with a dessicant in a closed metal box (ammo can) and your great-grand children will be taking it to the range.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

The only honest answer is indefinetly.

I have personally seen apaperPauly-style cartridge from before the Franco-Prussian War, that still manged to fire. Not to mention the.44 Henrys.

Think of all the surplus, of grandads old 12 gauge boxes, its really quite amazing the history and longevity of ammunition.

The Wolfhound

imported post

Echoing the others, it can last almost indefinitely. Proper storage is the best way to extend its shelf life. Do your best to avoid moisture and heat. GI ammo cans or "dry boxes" are best for long storage. Dessicants help. Avoid high heat (do not store in the attic in the South or South West). 30 or 40 years? No problem at all.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

If you re-chamber your defense ammo into your auto pistol regularly (for dry-fire practice, cleaning, etc.), then you also need to be aware of bullet setback.

Regarding .40S&W specifically:

"This was first confirmed via a European cartridge maker (Hirtenberger in Austria) from information given to me by a high level Glock representative. 1/10" set back can cause pressures to double from 35,000 psi to 70,000 psi.

Note this was achieved with factory ammo and without the detrimental effect of lead build up in the barrels. I also had 'off the record' confirmations of this from two U.S. sources, one governmental and one manufacturer." - http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/kb-notes.html

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

diesel556 wrote:
If you re-chamber your defense ammo into your auto pistol regularly (for dry-fire practice, cleaning, etc.), then you also need to be aware of bullet setback.

Regarding .40S&W specifically:

"This was first confirmed via a European cartridge maker (Hirtenberger in Austria) from information given to me by a high level Glock representative. 1/10" set back can cause pressures to double from 35,000 psi to 70,000 psi.

Note this was achieved with factory ammo and without the detrimental effect of lead build up in the barrels. I also had 'off the record' confirmations of this from two U.S. sources, one governmental and one manufacturer." - http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/kb-notes.html
I'm not sure I understand from this - please explain more.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

since9 wrote:

By chambering the same round over and over it is supposedly possible to push the bullet into the casing which can increase pressure beyond SAAMI specifications.

Take a look at the link I provided previously; it has a much better explanation.

colt45ws

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
since9 wrote:

By chambering the same round over and over it is supposedly possible to push the bullet into the casing which can increase pressure beyond SAAMI specifications.

Take a look at the link I provided previously; it has a much better explanation.
What I do to avoid this is lock it back, and drop it in the hole. I know, "NOOO, the extractor!" But I push the extractor in and close it slowly. Then release the extractor and pop it open to make sure its caught correctly. Requires an external extractor, though. IIRC, the number of times an individual bullet is supposed to be chambered is two or three.

KansasMustang

imported post

During my 25 year tour of duty in the Army we regularly fired both small arms and tank cannon ammunition dated 1945 and anything in between. Ammunition if kept dry as has been stated will last for a long, long time.

Pace

imported post

My ammo life is about 2 weeks :)

rhnhjh79 wrote:
Igot one how long will ammo last? I bought a box of gold dots about a year ago. and inVA. the weather is humid. So would that make them go out (expire)sooner?

Broondog

imported post

the oldest ammo i've fired was 1938 Nazi marked 8x56r. it went bang and hit the target as planned with no problems. and might i say that it was quite hotter than modern commercial loads of the same round.

ammo will outlive you.

M1911a1lvr

imported post

Ammo can and will last you forever if stored properly. I keep mine in .30 & .50 Cal ammo cans. I place a desiccant packet in each can. I place them on heavy duty shelf system. I have some ammo that has been stored now for over 20 years in various calibers. I have some WW1 era 1917 dated .30-06 Sprgfld that is still good to shoot. Although it is corrosive so i don't really shoot it much.

As for carry ammo, and how often i rotate it out. I switched out my .45 230grn Fed Hydra-Shock circa 1995 carry ammo just last month for fresh rounds, This ammo went bang and hit POA/POI at 25 yrds with out a hitch. That was 15 years old, and carried everyday. I have a can of WW2 circa 1943 .45acp that i haven't opened yet. Im sure that will go off too.

So as long as you store your ammo properly and take certain precautions then you shouldn't have any problems at all.