Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Maybe a lawyer willing to take on our cases...

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not on this website, USA
    Posts
    2,482

    Post imported post

    http://community.lawyers.com/forums/

    I look more into it when I get a minute.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Commerce Twp, ,
    Posts
    83

    Post imported post

    There are attorneys who are willing to take on member cases and Venator has posted their names on here and MGO.

    It is known that I have taken on firearms cases on pro bono basis. My one rule is that the potential client must not post any information about their case on any internet forum prior to calling me.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not on this website, USA
    Posts
    2,482

    Post imported post

    mpearce wrote:
    There are attorneys who are willing to take on member cases and Venator has posted their names on here and MGO.

    It is known that I have taken on firearms cases on pro bono basis. My one rule is that the potential client must not post any information about their case on any internet forum prior to calling me.
    I am talking about a prosecuting case against police/cities, not defense cases.

  4. #4
    Regular Member malignity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,101

    Post imported post

    Dean Greenbladt also takes OC cases.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not on this website, USA
    Posts
    2,482

    Post imported post

    malignity wrote:
    Dean Greenbladt also takes OC cases.
    For prosecuting police/cities? I'm not talking about for if/when YOU are a defendant, I am talking about attornies that will take on a civil rights violation case where the OCer is part of the "prosecution".

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Commerce Twp, ,
    Posts
    83

    Post imported post

    T Vance wrote:
    mpearce wrote:
    There are attorneys who are willing to take on member cases and Venator has posted their names on here and MGO.

    It is known that I have taken on firearms cases on pro bono basis. My one rule is that the potential client must not post any information about their case on any internet forum prior to calling me.
    I am talking about a prosecuting case against police/cities, not defense cases.
    I do that as well. Same conditions though no online posting before contacting me. I am not about giving the other side all the information to defeat a case before it is ever filed.

    Of course, clients have to be willing to pay the costs at a minimum.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Commerce Twp, ,
    Posts
    83

    Post imported post

    T Vance wrote:
    malignity wrote:
    Dean Greenbladt also takes OC cases.
    For prosecuting police/cities? I'm not talking about for if/when YOU are a defendant, I am talking about attornies that will take on a civil rights violation case where the OCer is part of the "prosecution".
    Have you looked at MCRGO v. Ferndale or perhaps the case from the west side of the state that Steve Dulan is handling in federal court. There are attorneys out there who do that. If someone's rights have been truly violated, then they need to contact an attorney long before it becomes forum fodder.

  8. #8
    Regular Member malignity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,101

    Post imported post

    Dean will defend you if you're OCing and the cops try and bust you with bogus crap.

    (He defended TheSzerdi and won once his CPL and firearm were confiscated by police for OCing.)

    He will not, however, counter sue them for being idiots. Most lawyers aren't gutsy enough to take on the PD or the city like that.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not on this website, USA
    Posts
    2,482

    Post imported post

    malignity wrote:
    He will not, however, counter sue them for being idiots. Most lawyers aren't gutsy enough to take on the PD or the city like that.
    Yes, this is what I was getting at.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Commerce Twp, ,
    Posts
    83

    Post imported post

    malignity wrote:
    Dean will defend you if you're OCing and the cops try and bust you with bogus crap.

    (He defended TheSzerdi and won once his CPL and firearm were confiscated by police for OCing.)

    He will not, however, counter sue them for being idiots. Most lawyers aren't gutsy enough to take on the PD or the city like that.
    It does not come down to being gutsy. It comes down to whether or not the client can cover the costs of such a suit in federal court. Pursuant to Rules of Professional Conduct, an attorney cannot cover the costs of litigating a case for a client. A contingency fee relates only to the attorney's fees for his/her services, not the cost of litigation (i.e. filing fees, deposition fees, copy costs, postage, expert witness fees, witness fees, etc.). The client must be able to pay those costs or have an organization behind him willing to pay for those costs.

    Criminal law and civil law are very distinct areas of law. Each has its own rules of procedure.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Commerce Twp, ,
    Posts
    83

    Post imported post

    T Vance, you claim that there are attorneys who are not willing to take on cases for OCers.

    I have a few potential clients out there. I am just waiting to hear whether or not they can pay the advance expense fee I would need to start the case. I read on here that many are in support or willing to flood a courtroom in support. And I have been asked if I would take on a case where the expenses were paid by an organization, my answer has always been "yes" with the condition that the case remain off the internet until there is a final decision (regardless of whether the case is a civil suit or a criminal defense). So far, no one has been able to pay that money off.

    This is why I state "If you are willing to be an activist by ocing in public venues, you should also be willing to open your wallet to aid in prosecuting for rights violated in via those activist actions."

    If one is willing to spend thousands of dollars on the firearms and ammunition that he wants to have, then he should also be willing to expend money on following his legal obligations in owning that firearm and protecting his civil rights by purchasing a gun safe and paying attorney fees and expenses of litigation.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not on this website, USA
    Posts
    2,482

    Post imported post

    mpearce wrote:
    T Vance, you claim that there are attorneys who are not willing to take on cases for OCers.

    I have a few potential clients out there. I am just waiting to hear whether or not they can pay the advance expense fee I would need to start the case. I read on here that many are in support or willing to flood a courtroom in support. And I have been asked if I would take on a case where the expenses were paid by an organization, my answer has always been "yes" with the condition that the case remain off the internet until there is a final decision (regardless of whether the case is a civil suit or a criminal defense). So far, no one has been able to pay that money off.

    This is why I state "If you are willing to be an activist by ocing in public venues, you should also be willing to open your wallet to aid in prosecuting for rights violated in via those activist actions."

    If one is willing to spend thousands of dollars on the firearms and ammunition that he wants to have, then he should also be willing to expend money on following his legal obligations in owning that firearm and protecting his civil rights by purchasing a gun safe and paying attorney fees and expenses of litigation.
    You've made valid points and I agree with you. I have donated to MOC on several occasions forthings that were needed. As of lately though I am currently a full time student, so donating for me is not really possible at this time. Hell I just sold a scope, anda ton of recordsthat I didn't want to sell, but had to in order to pay the bills.

    BTW, did MOC ever get that projector?

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    T Vance wrote:

    You've made valid points and I agree with you. I have donated to MOC on several occasions forthings that were needed. As of lately though I am currently a full time student, so donating for me is not really possible at this time. Hell I just sold a scope, andĀ*a ton of recordsĀ*that I didn't want to sell, but had to in order to pay the bills.

    BTW, did MOC ever get that projector?
    Good question. I've put forward a couple hundred toward that with my OC info card and sticker sales.

    As of yet, I'm not entirely sure where the money has gone.

  14. #14
    Activist Member hamaneggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,251

    Post imported post

    mpearce wrote:
    T Vance, you claim that there are attorneys who are not willing to take on cases for OCers.

    I have a few potential clients out there. I am just waiting to hear whether or not they can pay the advance expense fee I would need to start the case. I read on here that many are in support or willing to flood a courtroom in support. And I have been asked if I would take on a case where the expenses were paid by an organization, my answer has always been "yes" with the condition that the case remain off the internet until there is a final decision (regardless of whether the case is a civil suit or a criminal defense). So far, no one has been able to pay that money off.

    This is why I state "If you are willing to be an activist by ocing in public venues, you should also be willing to open your wallet to aid in prosecuting for rights violated in via those activist actions."

    If one is willing to spend thousands of dollars on the firearms and ammunition that he wants to have, then he should also be willing to expend money on following his legal obligations in owning that firearm and protecting his civil rights by purchasing a gun safe and paying attorney fees and expenses of litigation.
    I have a case but have no financial resources and will have to get help via donations or organizational support.It took me ten years and less than $1000 to buy the guns I have.I am poor blue collar.I will need help to get over my suffering.If I had the money I would be in court already.The working poor have little chance to get justice when they are violated by those who live off their tax money,as if it was their own personal piggy bank.Thats how I see it.I will not quit until I get justice for all those in my position.It's my duty to my fellow citizen because I AM my brothers keeper! Thats what I believe! God Bless The U.S!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

    NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Commerce Twp, ,
    Posts
    83

    Post imported post

    I agree. If someone has made donations or pays membership fees, that person is entitled to know where the money is going.

    I have been in the position that many are at. When I went to school to be an attorney, I had four children at home and was a single parent. Money was really tight for me.

    However, I never expected anyone to support or pay my bills. But if I had gotten into trouble or had rights violated, I would have hoped someone would step up to help me. I would have even agreed to repay those funds over time. I know attorneys will take cases on contingency (if there is a claim for monetary damages) and take their fees from there. But expenses can be a huge cost. Most attorneys cannot agree to take the costs from the fee at the end of the case. After all, we are in business and cannot use funds to finance a case without expectation of being paid. I also know that it is better to get expenses up front as many clients who really don't have funds won't pay the final bill, especially when it is in the thousands of dollars. Attorney bills are the last thing a person wants or has to pay.

    If members are donating to someone or the organization for legal fees on a case, you should insist on copies of receipts of the money donated being applied to the legal fees. In addition, if you donate to others, they should return the favor when you need the help.

    It would onlytake one public decision in favor of the government to create a major setback in regaining lost second amendment rights. Everyone should have an investment in regainingsecond amendmentrights the right way. In addition, the movement should be concerted, organized, and focused on one goal at a time and not divested in every way possible. Everyone trying to achieve their own agenda hurts the cause rather than helps. Even CNN reported that the Tea Partys will fail because of their disorganization.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not on this website, USA
    Posts
    2,482

    Post imported post

    I wasn't and am not accusing anyone that the projector wasn't purchased, I was just curious. If the money I donated was spent on other MOC related needs that is fine too. Brian personally handed me a HUGE stack of trifolds for the purpose of handing them out to promote MOC. Saved me money for ink and paper. So worst case I look at it like one of my donations went towards that.

    Personally I don't expect a reciept for any of my donations. I'm sure the money was spent where it was needed at the time, and to help further the knowledge of lawful carry.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •