• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't necessarily recommend

Kimber80

imported post

Caraway said police "don't necessarily recommend" the actions of the Dream Communications owner but added, "Everyone has the right to defend themselves."

Thwarted robbery was third in Kenner block
By Mary Sparacello, The Times-Picayune
February 01, 2010, 6:43PM
Three times in three years, merchants in the 3200 block of Williams Boulevard in Kenner have pulled guns to thwart robberies. But it wasn't until the third holdup that anyone died.

Kenner police said Monday that Angel Armando Hernandez, 34, of New Orleans was shot dead and German Alberto Hernandez Zuniga, 25, of Covington was wounded when they mugged the owner of Dream Communications & More as he leaving work. A third suspect fled and remains at large.

Dreams Communications is a wireless phone shop that also cashes checks for clients, Police Chief Steve Caraway said. It is the check-cashing business that is likely to be the motive for the robbery, Caraway said.

Detective Shaun Watson, a Police Department spokesman, said the bandits approached the owner Friday about 8:45 p.m. in the parking lot of the store at 3226 Williams. One struck him in the head with a revolver, grabbed his backpack and pushed him into the alley. But the owner pulled a pistol and shot Hernandez and Zuniga, Watson said.

Zuniga will be booked with armed robbery when he is released from University Hospital, Watson said.

Police have not identified the business owner, and he would not speak with a reporter Monday. They do not plan to file criminal charges against him because they consider the shooting was justified.

This was the second thwarted robbery at Dream Communications in eight months.

On June 5, two armed men entered the business, demanded money and were led to a back office where a victim and one of the bandits struggled, police said.

An employee in a nearby business heard noises and came to investigate. That person pulled a gun, and the would-be robbers fled.

Two suspects were arrested and are scheduled for trial in March, said detective Brian McGregor, another Police Department spokesman.

In 2007, a pawnbroker from a shop next door to Dream Communications chased an armed robber out of his own store, firing gunshots at the getaway car. That robber was never found, McGregor said.

Watson said police think the three incidents are unrelated.

Caraway said police "don't necessarily recommend" the actions of the Dream Communications owner but added, "Everyone has the right to defend themselves."

"In this particular case here, it appears the owner of the store was defending himself after he was pulled into the alleyway," Caraway said.

Kimber80

imported post

I have posted once before and kept up with this site for a couple of years now.

MEM or MARK-I have always understoodyour philosphy and this is confirmation of your philosphy towards OCand below is more for the people that do not understand the concept of a RIGHT.

Most people do not understand MEM's philosphy. HERE IT IS FOR THE SLOW ONES ON THE BOARD!

YOU DO NOT NEED PERMISSION FOR SOMETHING THAT IS A RIGHT!!

So if everyone has a right to defend themselves, why should you have to pay for thePRIVILEGE of a concealed weapons permit???

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

realist wrote:

MEM or MARK-I have always understoodyour philosphy and this is confirmation of your philosphy towards OCand below is more for the people that do not understand the concept of a RIGHT.

Most people do not understand MEM's philosphy. HERE IT IS FOR THE SLOW ONES ON THE BOARD!

So if everyone has a right to defend themselves, why should you have to pay for thePRIVILEGE of a concealed weapons permit???
Welcome to OCDO realist

You may have lurking , but have never posted "before" 8:14 PM and that was the OP on this thread - at least not posted before under this ID.

It is not good form to flame members here in your second post. Do you suggest that most on OCDO do not agree that OCing w/o or even CCing w/o a permit ought to be the standard?

If you do not allow us to get to know you first, we might jump to conclusions based on our limited first impressions.

Yata hey

barf

imported post

Oh, so the guy that got mugged in the parking lot was open carrying? I didn't read that in the article - please cite your source for this information.

That IS the premise of your post, correct? You state that this is someone's confirmation of their philosophy towards OC.

Kimber80

imported post

I have posted under "Kimber 80" in Jaunary of 2009. I really do not oc unless in a circumstance in the article posted under kimber 80 posting.

Grapeshot - I am not trying to "flame anyone here". But considering people's misunderstanding about what a "right" means in previous posts.

Barf - I did not state that the guy in the article was ocing and that was not the premise. The store owner's gun most probably was concealed, which gave him the advantage of the last surprise in the situation. I believe you have misunderstood my premise.

The words of the officer in this article reminded me about previous posts on here and people's misunderstanding of certain individuals philosphy of what a right is. Caraway said police "don't necessarily recommend" the actions of the Dream Communications owner but added, "Everyone has the right to defend themselves."

"Everyone has the right to defend themselves."

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

realist wrote:
Detective Shaun Watson, a Police Department spokesman, said the bandits approached the owner Friday about 8:45 p.m. in the parking lot of the store at 3226 Williams. One struck him in the head with a revolver, grabbed his backpack and pushed him into the alley. But the owner pulled a pistol and shot Hernandez and Zuniga, Watson said.
Good for the owner. He probably saved his own life.

realist wrote:
In 2007, a pawnbroker from a shop next door to Dream Communications chased an armed robber out of his own store, firing gunshots at the getaway car. That robber was never found, McGregor said.

I wonder ifthis pawnbroker was charged with anything? I hope so. It appears that he went from robbery victim to goof with a gun.

Regardless, sounds like a rough hood.

barf

imported post

realist wrote:
Barf - I did not state that the guy in the article was ocing and that was not the premise. The store owner's gun most probably was concealed, which gave him the advantage of the last surprise in the situation. I believe you have misunderstood my premise.

The words of the officer in this article reminded me about previous posts on here and people's misunderstanding of certain individuals philosphy of what a right is. Caraway said police "don't necessarily recommend" the actions of the Dream Communications owner but added, "Everyone has the right to defend themselves."

You're correct - I don't understand your premise. You're on an open carry site trying to subscribe people to a philosophy that they have a right to defend themselves? Do you really think you'll find an argument here? And then the kicker is you attribute that philosophy to a certain someone on this site who has lost all credibility?

I call a big BS on this one. If you're not that certain someone himself, you're a crony.

BUSTED. Yeah, I just watched mythbusters, what's it to you?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

realist wrote:
I have posted under "Kimber 80" in Jaunary of 2009. I really do not oc unless in a circumstance in the article posted under kimber 80 posting.

Grapeshot - I am not trying to "flame anyone here". But considering people's misunderstanding about what a "right" means in previous posts.

While I see no flagrant violation here, using multiple registrations/ID is definitely not considered good form and can be reason in and of itself for sanction.

Your stated premise was that "Most people do not understand MEM's philosophy."

I disagree. Most (all?) of us would agree that "Everyone has the right to defend themselves."

What many take exception to is MEM's style of expressing himself, ridiculing others for their choice of how they express themselves. MEM's way is NOT the only way. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

Yata hey

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

realist wrote:

Perhaps, if the store owner had been OCing, the bandits would not have approached him.

I have to say, though, the victems SA wasn't very good. He should never have allowed anyone to get close enough to whak him on the head.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

realist wrote:

MEM....and those who "understand"...

03-2.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

HankT wrote:
realist wrote:

MEM....and those who "understand"...

03-2.jpg
Dang Hank gonna put a half a roll of paper towels on your bill and flog you for no beverage warning - dat was FUNNY.

Yata hey

turbodog

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Your stated premise was that "Most people do not understand MEM's philosophy."

I disagree. Most (all?) of us would agree that "Everyone has the right to defend themselves."

What many take exception to is MEM's style of expressing himself, ridiculing others for their choice of how they express themselves. MEM's way is NOT the only way. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

Yata hey
Right-O Grapeshot!

In the words of the great Don Rickles: You win a cookie!

Superlite27

imported post

Kenner police said Monday that Angel Armando Hernandez, 34, of New Orleans was shot dead and German Alberto Hernandez Zuniga, 25, of Covington was wounded

Zuniga will be booked with armed robbery when he is released

......and?

......murder?

....wasn't Hernandez killed in the commission of Zuniga's crime?

Here in Missouri, if you commit a forceable felony in which ANYONE is killed (doesn't have to be YOUR actions, it just has to occur during YOUR crime) you will be charged with murder as the death would not have occurred if you had chosen not to committhe crime.

We've had burglars get shot in commission of a burglary while their partner waited in the getaway car. Guess who went to prison for murder? Yup.

If you knowJoe is going to rob someone, it would bea good idea to call the police, or at least let Joe drive himselfinstead of helping him. You may not shoot Joe, but if he gets killed by a homeowner, guess who's going to the slammer for it?

Here in Missouri: Don't help criminals.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
Here in Missouri: Don't help criminals.
Do the politicians not help the criminals by disarming the potential victims?

Yata hey

jensen_lover

imported post

realist wrote:

Thwarted robbery was third in Kenner block
By Mary Sparacello, The Times-Picayune
February 01, 2010, 6:43PM
Three times in three years, merchants in the 3200 block of Williams Boulevard in Kenner have pulled guns to thwart robberies. But it wasn't until the third holdup that anyone died.

Kenner police said Monday that Angel Armando Hernandez, 34, of New Orleans was shot dead and German Alberto Hernandez Zuniga, 25, of Covington was wounded when they mugged the owner of Dream Communications & More as he leaving work. A third suspect fled and remains at large.

Dreams Communications is a wireless phone shop that also cashes checks for clients, Police Chief Steve Caraway said. It is the check-cashing business that is likely to be the motive for the robbery, Caraway said.

Zuniga will be booked with armed robbery when he is released from University Hospital, Watson said.

Police have not identified the business owner, and he would not speak with a reporter Monday. They do not plan to file criminal charges against him because they consider the shooting was justified.

This was the second thwarted robbery at Dream Communications in eight months.

On June 5, two armed men entered the business, demanded money and were led to a back office where a victim and one of the bandits struggled, police said.

An employee in a nearby business heard noises and came to investigate. That person pulled a gun, and the would-be robbers fled.

Two suspects were arrested and are scheduled for trial in March, said detective Brian McGregor, another Police Department spokesman.

Watson said police think the three incidents are unrelated.

"In this particular case here, it appears the owner of the store was defending himself after he was pulled into the alleyway," Caraway said.
Why would they even consider pressing charges? This man should be commended. Maybe a medal is in order. Two scum are now off of the street. I hope they find the third person.