• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reno Trash Pickup Thread

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

The first thing we need to do is establish a place to do a pickup. Does anyone know of a grungy looking place that has lots of trash lying around in the Reno-Sparks area that might be a good candidate?

We've had a few threads in the past where we've discussed the idea but never really came to a conclusion.

I think a day between March 13 and March 21 might be a good one to choose, if not sooner. (I pick that time period because it coincides with having a week off from classes at UNR, which is taking up most of my time.)

Reno people, what time would be good for you?

During that particular week for me probably any day would suffice if we do it early enough in the day, maybe during the general time period of 10am-2pm. My only obligation during that week is a part time job in the afternoon.

Aside from that week in March, other good times for me would probably be Saturdays, Sundays (if early enough in the day) and Fridays after 2PM.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I think I'll go drive around a bit this week days and see if I can find a good spot. I'm thinking Saturday March 13 at noon would be good. That is about six weeks away, but if we can find a good spot we might be able to do it sooner, but probably on a Saturday at noon. (Definitely not this Saturday, however.)

Mike In Reno

imported post

sats, are good for me i dont have to work until 6pm, if this deal goes through i will be OC my nw XD, woot woot!

calmp9

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
The first thing we need to do is establish a place to do a pickup. Does anyone know of a grungy looking place that has lots of trash lying around in the Reno-Sparks area that might be a good candidate?

We've had a few threads in the past where we've discussed the idea but never really came to a conclusion.

I think a day between March 13 and March 21 might be a good one to choose, if not sooner. (I pick that time period because it coincides with having a week off from classes at UNR, which is taking up most of my time.)

Reno people, what time would be good for you?

During that particular week for me probably any day would suffice if we do it early enough in the day, maybe during the general time period of 10am-2pm. My only obligation during that week is a part time job in the afternoon.

Aside from that week in March, other good times for me would probably be Saturdays, Sundays (if early enough in the day) and Fridays after 2PM.
I would like to be there but I am not sure when I can get to Nevada. It's hard for me to get away these days.

I remember that it was pretty dirty where the Sands Regency and the old Sundowner are. It's been awhile since I have been in that area.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I drove around a couple times lately. I looked for some places in Reno but had no luck. However I found a couple of spots in the North Valleys that might be acceptable

I'll post some links to some google earth trajectories through drop box soon maybe.

One potential location is near lemon valley. It is a large lot between Raley's and Scholari's. I scouted it today and it looked to have some garbage but it was quite spread out so maybe not as heavily polluted as would make convenient. Parking seems possible on a dirt road but one must walk a football field or two before they start finding garbage.

Another potential location is off the side of 395 after lemon valley and between Stead and Red Rock. There is a place to park off the side where trucks had piled up some dirt from some previous construction project. The disadvantages is that it is down the side of a hill, there is not good visibility to other people where most of the garbage is, and it is also right next to a highway. But I know there is a lot of garbage here because I lost a couple hubcaps when I hit an object on the road near it a few months ago and while looking for my hubcaps I filled at least two garbage bags full and there was plenty more to go around. I'm not entirely sure how Kosher parking off the freeway would be received though.

Near my neighborhood in Cold Springs (next to BorderTown) I also know of a place that has a decent amount of trash between one of the roads and some houses. (Its a lot bigger than I'm making it sound.) In the past I used to collect garbage there all the time, but I bet there is still a lot there.

The primary disadvantages of all three places is that they are not highly visible and not urban, and they might be farther than some of the Reno/Sparks people want to drive North to get to. The places also involve a lot of hiking around and slopes so being in decent shape would be useful for these places

Also, I went down Lemmon Valley Road and there was a KTMB road sign not far down the road where it looks like we could potentially adopt a section for litter patrol. It didn't look too messy to me but I was just driving through. http://www.ktmb.org/about.htm

Just reporting my thoughts. If we end up doing this a lot we can probably go to all sorts of places. If anyone has some other good places to suggest please post them.

In any case, I'm planning to do this on March 13 or sooner even if I can't find a good spot and only a couple of us want to get out and pickup some trash in some less than ideal locations. Some of the places I've seen will probably involve more hiking that picking up trash but it is actually fairly difficult to find a place that is in full public view, easy for us all to get to, and teaming with trash.

Mike In Reno

imported post

perhaps we can get together with ktmb and do something, i posted the event on facebook for march 13th, did u check out NV OC on fb yet?

calmp9

imported post

Mike In Reno wrote:
where do you live?
Unfortunately, the Republik of Kalifornia and in one of the most anti-gun counties, Santa Cruz. My brother lives in the Gardnerville/Minden area, so I am in Nevada a lot.

calmp9

imported post

Mike In Reno wrote:
really santa cruz? thought san fran siko is the worst?
That's bad too, but the last statistics I saw showed that thare were only 37 CCWs issued out of a population of 253,137. That's pretty bad and it's safe to say that they are either former LEO or those who take care of the current sheriff during election time.

Mike In Reno

imported post

i made an announcement about the march 13th reno/sparks trashpickup over the air on the western nevada noon net (ham radio) so about 50 or 60 people herd the announcement and i also said to check us out on opencarry.org

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Very cool Mike.

Google Earth Aproximate location of KTMB sign:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2883584/GoogleEarthSpots/KTMB Sign.kmz

Some of the possible sites I was discussing:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2883584/GoogleEarthSpots/Possible Litter Location3.kmz

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2883584/GoogleEarthSpots/Possible Litter Pickup Place1.kmz

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2883584/GoogleEarthSpots/Possible Litter Pickup Place2.kmz

Maybe later this week I'll look/call around to see if I can find out about some better places.

Mike In Reno

imported post

i also spoke with some of the admins at renotactical, they want to get involved as well, they told me to keep them posted etc

Mike In Reno

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
We're going to pick up garbage, while carrying openly.

its comming up soon, in a few weeks, so who ever would like to participate, please reply if you want to attend and help out so we can get a head count!