• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reno Trash Pickup Thread

bookem03

imported post

Do we have a place to meet for the Reno trash pick up yet? I know where most places are but may need some directions. Looking forward to meeting all of you and helping the community.:celebrate

Mike In Reno

imported post

i have spoken with maximus, we kind of have a picture of where, but we would like to get more people involved , perhaps a BBQ as well

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I have a few places in mind. Depending on the place a BBQ may or may not be suitable at the location but we could have one before or after at a different location.

I'm thinking after this first time we can do pickups on a regular scheduled basis at different places. This first time is kind of a test-run.

Thateldoo

imported post

I know this sounds stupid...but will we need a city/county permit to "assemble" a group of some size?

There is always going to be some ordinance...we need to be aware of such things so that our Open CarryTrash Pick-up goes smoothly.

Thateldoo

imported post

I'm not saying we would need a permit...

But...

Some cities/counties have ordinances that require groups of certain sizesto have a permit to gather.

I know that at the Tea Party events all last year, a permit had to be otained...not for the purpose, but because of the size of the group. I'll do a little research and find out.

Thateldoo

imported post

Was just on the phone to the City of Sparks, City Clerk and Parks & Recreation (March 2, 2010 @ 11:00AM)

I explained our desire to provide a possibleclean-up service ata, yet unknown, location (park, along the river...??) on Saturday, March 13 with a possible BBQ at said location and asked if we would need a "permit to gather".

I also explained our Open Carry concerns and said we would all have holstered guns while we performed this activity. The young lady said there would be NO PERMIT REQUIRED...and asked if she could inform her supperior and call me back.

Her return call was great...as her supperior said he/she could see no reason that our group could not continue with it's effort.

If a location in the Sparks area is selected, I will call the SparksParks and Receation and they will provide trash bags as well as gloves...!

I suggest we notify the local authorities so there is no alarm if a citizen calls in and says there is a group of armed persons walking around in the park...just as a friendly jesture to the local authorities.

Now, I'll call the City of Reno...

Thateldoo

imported post

Aurum Rabosa wrote:
What's a Reno Trash Pickup? Is it a way to gather folks to OC and maybe come out of the closet like myself?

Yes...that's what it's all about.

I'm researching places in Sparks and Reno...in contact with Sparks and Reno Parks and Recreation.

Thateldoo

imported post

I did NOT get a return call from the City of Reno in response to my questions this morning.

With that, unless others would like me to try again in the morning, I would suggest going forward witha Open Carry Trash Pick-up for the City of Sparks.

The City of Sparks Parks and Recreation was quite receptive of our efforts. Again, I informed them that we would be armed with weapons in holsters representing Open Carry.org.

The Parks and Recreation Department suggested a cleanup along the river walk. This would include Fisherman's Park at Galletti Way/Glendale Avenue and all along the walk eastward. Parks along that route would be Gateway, Rock, Glendale and Cottonwood. Our cleanup would not be focused on the parks, but the River Walk.

The City of Sparks Parks and Recreation would provide trash bags as well as gloves.

The people I spoke with also suggested we have a BBQ at the end of our cleanup and enjoy ourselves.

Just a suggestion from me...

Please share your comments...

kustomskin

imported post

Ok,

We need to get organized. Groups all over the country are making the news and raising community awareness of their right to OC. I am willing to put in what ever work necessary to get our group organized in Reno. For anyone who is serious please call me. We can set up a meeting to plan the location and time and get whatever supplies necessary for the cleanup and or BBQ. 775-846-7546.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If I may make a suggestion....just pick a date, time and place, any place, and then go. The Vegas folks recently met in a location where the litter was pretty minimal and we winded up mostly just walking around, socializing and discussing guns & laws.

We chose the location for several reasons:

1.) It was near a major intersection (Las Vegas Blvd N & Lake Mead, in North Las Vegas)
2.) It was in front of the North Las Vegas police headquarters
3.) It's near one of the only pawn shops in the Vegas area that sells firearms

Forget about the litter, you'll find litter. Just pick a location that makes sense for the group (geography, visibility, objectives) and go. If 10 people pick up only 5 full bags of garbage, it's still a success.

Another suggestion is that although we have advised the local governments of our intentions, we haven't let their response, or rather lack of response, delay our meet ups. If you feel it necessary, let them know, then just go. Circumstances and location will dictate whether pre-meeting notification is warranted.

In the past, I've made efforts to democratize the picking of location, date, time, etc. When I do so, the nature of people in a group (myself included) is to avoid making a decision.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Thateldoo wrote:
The City of Sparks Parks and Recreation was quite receptive of our efforts.  Again, I informed them that we would be armed with weapons in holsters representing Open Carry.org.

The Parks and Recreation Department suggested a cleanup along the river walk.  This would include Fisherman's Park at Galletti Way/Glendale Avenue and all along the walk eastward.  Parks along that route would be Gateway, Rock, Glendale and Cottonwood.  Our cleanup would not be focused on the parks, but the River Walk.

The City of Sparks Parks and Recreation would provide trash bags as well as gloves.

The people I spoke with also suggested we have a BBQ at the end of our cleanup and enjoy ourselves.

Just a suggestion from me...

Please share your comments...

That sounds great. I think we should do that. I think noon on March 13 would be a good time. Thanks for your efforts.

Sparks municipal code says something about no guns in parks without a concealed weapons permit http://www.ci.sparks.nv.us/governing/muni_code/Title_12/24/070.php , but law is supposedly preempted by the state so hopefully that will not be an issue. Especially with the cooperation of Sparks. http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-268.html#NRS268Sec418