• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: How about we start an Open Carry band

tannerwaterbury

imported post

I am a musician, and today a random thought occurred to me: What if we put an Open Carry Band together? Maybe each month or so we get together and just have a jam session, while packing at the same time. Heck, even have a show once in a while at a park with some fellow members at a picnic. Anyways just a thought, who here plays? Oh BTW I play Bass for those of you that are wondering too...

DaemonForce

imported post

Ignoring everything like what kind of band, what level of skill and the message you're trying to send, that kind of effort depends a LOT on where your band people reside. Obviously I wouldn't be heading up to Seattle every other day of the week to practice/record regardless of how good I am. Washington State doesn't make things easy for people to get where they want without a vehicle and that kind of makes people keep to themselves. Maybe if this were Arizona or California. I want to say New York but I don't know a damn thing about this on the East Coast.

Fortunately you live in an area well populated enough for this to be feasible. Good luck.

Metalhead47

imported post

DaemonForce wrote:
Maybe if this were Arizona or California. I want to say New York but I don't know a damn thing about this on the East Coast.
If you think public transit is bad here, you don't even wanna THINK about getting around sans car in Aridzona :what:

DaemonForce

imported post

Wow did the LR make things that bad? I know I took off with their economy in my left pocket but after figuring out how toPHX> Central> Metrocenter > Peoria in less than 4 hours it wasn't that bad. Tempe had some pretty sweet bars when I was there but it turned into a yuppie town and things were going downhill after Denver shut down that one day. I remember that one place that had good burgers and waffle fries...What was that name, Stupid's? :uhoh:

Uh anyway this band guy is in Kelso. So....That's like what? Vancouver? I'm sure he can round up some local guys that can keep a beat for 4 minutes. Maybe. :?

tannerwaterbury

imported post

DaemonForce wrote:
Uh anyway this band guy is in Kelso. So....That's like what? Vancouver? I'm sure he can round up some local guys that can keep a beat for 4 minutes. Maybe. :?

Wow, nice 'tude! I am sure that 7+ years of experience here never taught me how to keep time.:cuss: (End Sarcasm) Anyways, I just thought it might be a fun idea. I am sure some others might find it fun, although maybe right now it might be somewhat hard to do.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Naysayers, the back button is at the top left corner. Please make use of it.

If it weren't for me being a college student with limited funds, I'd be all for it. I've been playing drums for 11 years, and as long as it's not country or hip hop, I'm down for it. Yes, even a jazz band, since I did jazz band throughout high school.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tannerwaterbury wrote:
DaemonForce wrote:

Wow, nice 'tude! I am sure that 7+ years of experience here never taught me how to keep time.:cuss: (End Sarcasm) Anyways, I just thought it might be a fun idea. I am sure some others might find it fun, although maybe right now it might be somewhat hard to do.

Just ignore him. He's just jealous because you're a bass player.

Myself, I'm a Bass player/ classically trained singer/ sound engineer. But Kelso's just too far.

Trigger Dr

imported post

I play bass, harmonica, rythm guitar and vocals. We were called Abilene and played for most of the local Eagles, Elks, VFW etc. Opened for The Osmonds, Johnny Cash, Air Force Band, Hoyt Axton, The Shoppeand a couple other smaller names.

I am in the front row on your right.

DaemonForce

imported post

ak56 wrote:
Just ignore him. He's just jealous because you're a bass player.
Oh @#$%! I've been found out! Eject! Eject!:what:

gogodawgs wrote:
Add a little brass section :D
Brass always sounds nice no matter what the music. I just have a problem finding anyone my age that feels comfortable enough with their skill to join a band.
I don't understand the people around my age. My generation has a bunch of lazy + insecurity. This leads to a social group that no longer has any conviction.

A friend of mine has a small band togetherand he's the lead/support guitar(he has to do both roles). He is the only one in the group that can keep a steady beat for 5 minutes. Right now he'sdealing with all kinds of social and marital pressures that are just flat out murder. I don't see how he gets anything done. He works all day, gets chewed out every night and last time I checked the wife is still prego. His band mates are scattered throughout Western Washington and they meet every two weeks or so to record. The little time he gets to practice is extremely critical and it's too important for him to throw away. He's slowly hitting a brick wall and it's going to crush him when the baby is here. Ah well. Anyway I haven't touched a guitar in years so I know I'm out.

He might be looking for someone near Vancouver to jam with but I don't know his stance on the SA. Since he's a goth-punk style Christian, it's hard to tell without asking. I'll visit him later today. Hopefully he's not all screwed up now. :)

Real Edit: Looks like he's in need of a bass player in case his band falls through. I still can't be bothered to ask him the SA question but granted he's in a bit of a slump, I'm willing to bet he wouldn't make a point in traveling all over WA post unemployment. I tried. :cool:

kschmadeka

imported post

I do some writing, and I have a few ideas for love songs... about guns...

(country beat)

I love youa…

Almost as much as my

.338 Lapua

Your icy stare can cut through someone

Like a bunch of glass shards

But not at two thousand

F****n yards!

Yeah okay, needs work...

Trigger Dr

imported post

Re Write of On The Road Again

On the range again

Launchin bullets we'll never see again

Punchin holes in paper with my friends

It's good to be on the range again

uncoolperson

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:

On the range again

you mind if I steal that?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Anything but country...ahhhh....LOL.
Although I like Willy but I think of him more of folk.
Me I like to rock out. Blues to the heavy stuff. Guess that's what you get when you go to a Hendrix concert when you are 2 weeks old.

Trigger Dr

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:

On the range again

you mind if I steal that?
Help your self. I get royalties

kschmadeka

imported post

I hate country too, but I think a band like this could do music of more than one type as long as they're about guns.

Like this, from the Wizard Of Oz:

I’d be blasting holes in road signs
As is my guaranteed right
As I drive into the sun….

I’d lay waste with firepower
From the top of a high tower
If I only had a gun

I’d be in total domination
In a traffic altercation
I’d be having fun…

I could tell the other driver
That to leave would be much wiser
If I only had a gun

Hey, it's a start. If someone tells me they'll record them I'll finish them.