• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need a new OC Gun

bennie1986

imported post

I am looking at getting a new gun and was hoping for suggestions. I want something from an American owned company, full size, 9mm or .45acp, and around $500. I already have a 9mm S&W Sigma, S&W MP40, and S&W 1911.

Vandal

imported post

In all seriousness though, go look around the places that sell used guns. You can find some pretty decent stuff for $500, you just have to look around a bit.

DEROS72

imported post

You could get an EAA Witness(Tanfoglio) .45 for around 460.00 Finest shooting .45 on the market.Metalhead just bought one as well.10 +1.

BobR

imported post

Maybe it is time for you to start thinking wheel gun.

There are a lot of nice ones out there. I OC a S&W 610 (10mm) with a 4" tubeand two extra moonclips on occasion. Smith made quite a few of their older guns with a 3" barrel. A K frame .357 cut for moonclips is just one of the ways to go.

bob

bennie1986

imported post

BobR wrote:
Maybe it is time for you to start thinking wheel gun.

There are a lot of nice ones out there. I OC a S&W 610 (10mm) with a 4" tubeand two extra moonclips on occasion. Smith made quite a few of their older guns with a 3" barrel. A K frame .357 cut for moonclips is just one of the ways to go.

bob
Has crossed my mind.

Metalhead47

imported post

bennie1986 wrote:
Haha f that! I want something that will shoot when i need it to.
Our "cheap" HiPoints were more reliable than the $400 "revolvers don't jam" revolver that jammed. Blast their looks & weight all you want, but don't dare say they don't work :cool:

And yes +2 on the Tanfoglio, although it's not American made (Hi-Points are:p). Awesome gun to shoot, super accurate, and nothing beats the class of a shiny steel gun:celebrate. The one I got is one step above a "base" model, got it for under $500 delivered, plus FFL transfer. Two or three hundred rounds thru it so far without so much as a burp, except for a squib reload that was my fault :what:

bennie1986

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
bennie1986 wrote:
Haha f that! I want something that will shoot when i need it to.
Our "cheap" HiPoints were more reliable than the $400 "revolvers don't jam" revolver that jammed. Blast their looks & weight all you want, but don't dare say they don't work :cool:

And yes +2 on the Tanfoglio, although it's not American made (Hi-Points are:p). Awesome gun to shoot, super accurate, and nothing beats the class of a shiny steel gun:celebrate. The one I got is one step above a "base" model, got it for under $500 delivered, plus FFL transfer. Two or three hundred rounds thru it so far without so much as a burp, except for a squib reload that was my fault :what:
Im just going off what I've seen and what people have told me. I watched some guy shooting one in each hand, and I'm not kidding, one jammed three times and the other twice... on the same mag.

Metalhead47

imported post

bennie1986 wrote:
Im just going off what I've seen and what people have told me. I watched some guy shooting one in each hand, and I'm not kidding, one jammed three times and the other twice... on the same mag.
As with another piece of hardware (gun, car, computer, etc), those who actually own and enjoy them are more reliable sources than "this guy I know, who knows this guy, who said..." We've got many hundreds of rounds thru each of our HiPoint pistols with no jams that were not user-induced. This dude you saw, was he using brand new magazines? Brand new mags will jam until they've broken in. Same can be said for many other guns, for lots of reasons. And shooting one in each hand, more likely to be limp-wristing 'em too. That will cause most semiautos to jam.

tyguy808

imported post

I know Taurus is made in Brazil, but aren't they American? You can get a PT145, kinda compact, but shoots like a dream!

amzbrady

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
bennie1986 wrote:
As with another piece of hardware (gun, car, computer, etc), those who actually own and enjoy them are more reliable sources than "this guy I know, who knows this guy, who said..." We've got many hundreds of rounds thru each of our HiPoint pistols with no jams that were not user-induced. This dude you saw, was he using brand new magazines? Brand new mags will jam until they've broken in. Same can be said for many other guns, for lots of reasons. And shooting one in each hand, more likely to be limp-wristing 'em too. That will cause most semiautos to jam.
My sisters husband has a brother-in-law who has a 9mm highpoint that has never jammed, and he sometimes uses it to OC and CC. He loves the fact that even though he knows it wont, if it does jam, he can hit someone with the brick and knock them out.