• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally got to it...

cscitney87

imported post

Awesome Zack. I'm gunna try mine at Green Mountain Fam Shooting this weekend. Maybe later today but I am busy this morning. I'll post here first incase anyone wants to come try it out with me. BYOB(ullets)

mahkagari

imported post

ZackL wrote:
As far as range time, I have 40 acres and a small shooting pit that I use about twice a week (50 or more rounds every time). I've been practicing mag changes, double taps and movement.
:D Awesome. I just worry about the message we're communicating to lurkers. It bugs me when the tone of this board seems to be more about carrying for the sake of carrying and not for defense. I always say, "I have no time for people more impressed by how many guns they have and carry rather than being able to actually USE any one of them well."

I highly reccomend drills with your heartrate and adrenaline up. In a defensive situation your heartrate skyrockets in a split second and your finemotor skills totally go out the window. Strapon and take a lap around your property finishing at your shooting pit. Then draw and see what it does to your grouping. Doing a setof pushups in betweenmags is a good too.

bomber

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
I really want a Hi-Point too. I am going to get that 9mm with the suppressor- looks very cool. Echoing the previous question- Where did you get yours? I haven't found a local retailer or I would have purchased already.

i carry the hi point 9, but not the compensated one. they did stop production of that model. either look on gunbroker or other online dealers, or just get lucky and find one in a pawn shop

jensens (in loveland) always has the C9, and they have it for $125:celebrate:celebrate

thats where i bought mine. you can't beat $30 below retail for NIB.

ive got a few hundred rounds through mine and so far its been awesome. i carry it with confidence.

fobus makes a good inexpensive paddle holster for the JCP and JHP.

Gunslinger

imported post

ZackL wrote:
Ian wrote:
It's about time! What gun did you end up buying?

I got the Hi-Point JCP (.40) for now, I should be getting a Ruger P series in the next two weeks or so.
You'll find the Ruger a vast improvement over the Hi-Point. I had a P-90 that was outstanding in accuracy andreliability and built like a tank. Th Hi-Point is a decent, inexpensive gun and not a bad starter. But you'll find going to a Ruger is night and day. Practice and stay safe.

Suburban78

imported post

Here are a few pics of my new XD.45 along side of my S&W 6906 9mm. I put 300 rounds through my XD on Friday and it sure is a nice shooting pistol. It even fired 100 rounds of wolf steel case that was given to me by my father because his new S&W M&P 45. would not feed them. I love this gun!
I love my 6906 also!

cscitney87

imported post

Nice. I'll be at Green Mountain Shooting Range off Jewel between Wads and Garrison around 12:30. switching out the ammo in my clips now I'll have blue jeans and a grey t shirt on

Edit: Duh forgot to say you guys are welcome to try out the new hi point. I can't afford the 300+ rounds to break it in right now anyway so all the better

cscitney87

imported post

Something about a metal slide.. Specially stainless steel.. Really awesome looking designs. This plastic piece is a little ugly. The slide comes Over the frame too, which looks off-putting. My Taurus stainless slide sits On the poly frame so it looks much more well put together

Gunslinger

imported post

Suburban78 wrote:
Here are a few pics of my new XD.45 along side of my S&W 6906 9mm. I put 300 rounds through my XD on Friday and it sure is a nice shooting pistol. It even fired 100 rounds of wolf steel case that was given to me by my father because his new S&W M&P 45. would not feed them. I love this gun!
I love my 6906 also!
I'm surprised his Smith wouldn't feed Wolf. I've shot it in my $1000 SIGs and my $500 Taurus 24/7 with no problems. But some guns are finicky--even with FMJ ammo. I did have a Bulgarian made 9mm--sold by Seller and Belloit, that functioned flawlessly and shot lights out in my Hi-Power but would not feed at all in my Bersa Mini-9. That's why you must always be sure your carry rounds work perfectly in your PD piece.

cscitney87

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
Suburban78 wrote:
I love my 6906 also!
I'm surprised his Smith wouldn't feed Wolf. I've shot it in my $1000 SIGs and my $500 Taurus 24/7 with no problems. But some guns are finicky--even with FMJ ammo. I did have a Bulgarian made 9mm--sold by Seller and Belloit, that functioned flawlessly and shot lights out in my Hi-Power but would not feed at all in my Bersa Mini-9. That's why you must always be sure your carry rounds work perfectly in your PD piece.
Thanks for that insight. I really needed it. I just realized I have 2 full clips of hollow 9s in a Bersa Thunder Pro.. and it's never been used yet. Our local range forbids anything but ball ammo. Two much snow outside for a trip to a National Forest. Crap...

I do have hollows in my .45 too.. but I've actually only put 4 or 5 through my Taurus during the summer. Reason being- they are expensive bullets! :x I would start shooting and realize Duh I have my hollow points in and switch over when practicing outside.

Any local metro-Denver range that has reasonable fees, no membership costs, and allows hollow points?

desettle

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
Suburban78 wrote:
I love my 6906 also!
Thanks for that insight. I really needed it. I just realized I have 2 full clips of hollow 9s in a Bersa Thunder Pro.. and it's never been used yet. Our local range forbids anything but ball ammo. Two much snow outside for a trip to a National Forest. Crap...

I do have hollows in my .45 too.. but I've actually only put 4 or 5 through my Taurus during the summer. Reason being- they are expensive bullets! :x I would start shooting and realize Duh I have my hollow points in and switch over when practicing outside.

Any local metro-Denver range that has reasonable fees, no membership costs, and allows hollow points?
You could try the Firing Line in Aurora. I think they don't mind hollow points being used.

ZackL

imported post

Mahkagri: I'll have to try those drills. I'm kinda fat, so running isn't my strong suit, but I'll do my best to get my heart rate up a bit more. Thanks for the advice on how to better prepare myself.

cscitney87: I'm glad you had a good day at the range. If you find some jacketed hollow points that feed in your Hi-Point, let me know! lol. I've had reasonable success with WWB, but I do get a jam about every five mags. Like people have said, loading the mags for a week or so (mine was three days before it loosened up) is a good idea. If you still have trouble with it feeding you may need to adjust the mag itself, which is easy with needle nose pliers, depending on how it jams. If you call Iberia (the Hi-Point JCP company) they can walk you through any adjustments you may need to make.

Gunslinger: I went and handled a P-95 today... I couldn't help myself so I put a down payment on it and I'll probably pay it off next Saturday. It's a great gun and I love the way it feels, but it's a completely different feel than my Hi-Point. I'm not sure if it will agree with me as much as the Hi-Point, but I guess after a couple hundred rounds I'll know, which should go by quickly considering my brother thought it was the coolest looking gun in the shop. He also made me promise he'll get to fire the first round through it so I'm sure we're going to be shooting three or four days a week for a while. lol.

Gunslinger

imported post

ZackL wrote:
Mahkagri: I'll have to try those drills. I'm kinda fat, so running isn't my strong suit, but I'll do my best to get my heart rate up a bit more. Thanks for the advice on how to better prepare myself.

cscitney87: I'm glad you had a good day at the range. If you find some jacketed hollow points that feed in your Hi-Point, let me know! lol. I've had reasonable success with WWB, but I do get a jam about every five mags. Like people have said, loading the mags for a week or so (mine was three days before it loosened up) is a good idea. If you still have trouble with it feeding you may need to adjust the mag itself, which is easy with needle nose pliers, depending on how it jams. If you call Iberia (the Hi-Point JCP company) they can walk you through any adjustments you may need to make.

Gunslinger: I went and handled a P-95 today... I couldn't help myself so I put a down payment on it and I'll probably pay it off next Saturday. It's a great gun and I love the way it feels, but it's a completely different feel than my Hi-Point. I'm not sure if it will agree with me as much as the Hi-Point, but I guess after a couple hundred rounds I'll know, which should go by quickly considering my brother thought it was the coolest looking gun in the shop. He also made me promise he'll get to fire the first round through it so I'm sure we're going to be shooting three or four days a week for a while. lol.
You'll love the Ruger. They are a bit bulky compared to say a plastic pistol, but the grips are made well for just about any size hands to get a good, two handed hold. And the gun will outlast your great grandchildren! Really are built like tanks and yet give excellent accuracy. Ruger doesn't publish a lifetime warranty, for legal reasons, but they in fact do warrant it for life. But then, of the four Rugers I own/owned, I never had the slightest problem. Read the manual well, as they have a bit different field strip routine than most pistols and different from the Hi-Point. Enjoy it!

desettle

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
ZackL wrote:

You'll love the Ruger. They are a bit bulky compared to say a plastic pistol, but the grips are made well for just about any size hands to get a good, two handed hold. And the gun will outlast your great grandchildren! Really are built like tanks and yet give excellent accuracy. Ruger doesn't publish a lifetime warranty, for legal reasons, but they in fact do warrant it for life. But then, of the four Rugers I own/owned, I never had the slightest problem. Read the manual well, as they have a bit different field strip routine than most pistols and different from the Hi-Point. Enjoy it!

I can tell you that I really like my KP90 (.45 cal). I replaced the grip on mine, didn't like how it felt, with a Pacmyer grip and love it. The only other issue I may have with the P90 is the skinny and small sights. This makes it a bit harder to quickly get a good sight picture, much easier with my Glock 23. Other than that, I love the gun.

Anyway that is my two cents.