• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally got to it...

ZackL

imported post

Okay, so I finally got my first pistol purchased. I've been carrying around the house and in the car to get used to it but hadn't done anything more than that.

Sunday, I had a lot to do and figured that there would be no better time to start carrying. I went to Wal-Mart and picked up some ammo and thought everything was going great and that I wouldn't have any problems from anyone as nobody seemed to notice. However, we had a family get together at Buffalo Wild Wings later on and I decided to carry. I walked in and the district manager (Ryan) asked me what I was carrying. I told him and he promptly informed me that I couldn't bring "that" into his store. I was taken aback and said ok and then I walked out and stored it in the car.

Anyway, after we were done eating we all left and my little brother and I went to Big 5, 7-11, Barnes & Noble and Blockbuster all without any other incidents. All in all it wasn't too bad, just one person.

I do have a question now, though. How could I contact corporate and find out their policy and file a complaint about this particular person? I've checked their website and can't seem to find anything on there as far as contact goes except for the local store telephone numbers.

desettle

imported post

ZackL wrote:
I do have a question now, though. How could I contact corporate and find out their policy and file a complaint about this particular person? I've checked their website and can't seem to find anything on there as far as contact goes except for the local store telephone numbers.

You could go back and talk with the manager or district manager to get the corporate information needed. You don't have to say anything about checking their corp policy or filing a complaint. If they give you the run around, try another place.

-desettle

ZackL

imported post

Ian wrote:
It's about time! What gun did you end up buying?

I got the Hi-Point JCP (.40) for now, I should be getting a Ruger P series in the next two weeks or so.

I would have liked to have gone somewhere else, but with my grandparents, a cousin and her 2 year old, aunt, mom and brother in tow it wouldn't have really flown over too well if I'd said that we were going somewhere else. Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can't get the information out of them today.

cscitney87

imported post

ZackL wrote:
Ian wrote:
It's about time! What gun did you end up buying?

I got the Hi-Point JCP (.40) for now, I should be getting a Ruger P series in the next two weeks or so.
Congratulations on the pistol and the carry. I hear you about putting your pistol in the car- It's not always easy to relocate the fam when there's 8 of you or sometimes a larger number. Specially when the wife/kids have their hearts set on boneless wings! lol

desettle

imported post

ZackL wrote:
Okay, so I finally got my first pistol purchased.
Congrats on your pistol purchase and your OCing. My oldest son (24 yrs old) has been looking at maybe getting a Hi-Point 45 to OC. And I'm all for him OCing. :)The more of us out there, the better.

cscitney87

imported post

I really want a Hi-Point too. I am going to get that 9mm with the suppressor- looks very cool. Echoing the previous question- Where did you get yours? I haven't found a local retailer or I would have purchased already.

ZackL

imported post

I picked mine up at Big R in Falcon, but I 've heard that Jensen has them and another gun shop in Longmont as well. Everywhere else will charge you more than MSRP for them, but if you're really bent on getting one, then it wouldn't really matter much. I love mine, but it's one of those if you don't love it you absolutely hate it things and it's easy to not love them.

cscitney87: I do believe they ceased production on all of the compensated models. If you can find one used, however, you can send it back on that awesome warranty and have Hi-Point look it over, replace worn parts and give it a clean bill of health for just the cost of shipping.

cscitney87

imported post

I was truly inspired by this post. I purchased a Hi-Point 40 JCP today from G & G Guns. I might write my thoughts on this pistol in the other section for Handgun Selection later after I try it. I haven't shot it yet. It's heavy and big- that's why I got it! It fills out my grip very well. Picture included with my Taurus .45 ACP. :lol::cool:

ZackL

imported post

Congrats on the new gun. How much, if you don't mind me asking, did you give for it?

cscitney87

imported post

$189-

Also- talked to "Warren" from G & G on the phone before I came over. I asked him if I can carry in his store. He asked if I have a conceal carry permit and said yes. I said no and he said "You better just leave the pistol in the car and bring in the holster." I complied and paid for the pistol. I came back an hour later to pickup and explained that I'm unhappy with his decision not to let me carry. I told him I won't be doing any business in the store going forward. He came over and shook my hand. He told me that he just needed to get to know me. He said I'm welcome to OC anytime,now, and that my business is appreciated. Hmmf.. Go figure

Months ago I went to G & G Guns for a Bersa 9mm Thunder Pro and was happy with the purchase. Years ago I got my Taurus from The Gun Room (around the corner, literally).

desettle

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
I was truly inspired by this post. I purchased a Hi-Point 40 JCP today from G & G Guns. I might write my thoughts on this pistol in the other section for Handgun Selection later after I try it. I haven't shot it yet. It's heavy and big- that's why I got it! It fills out my grip very well. Picture included with my Taurus .45 ACP. :lol::cool:
Congrats on the new gun purchase. How much heavier is it compaired to your Taurus .45 ACP? Also, what holster did you get for it?

cscitney87

imported post

Feels twice or even three times as heavy. Technically, though, here it is

Taurus .45
Weight: 20.8 ounces, 6 round magazine.

Hi Point .40 SW
Weight: 32 ounces, 10 round magazine.

About the holster- I tried buying a drop holster there at the shop but they were out of stock. He referred me to the police overstock off Wads north of 64th.

Here's another view-

cscitney87

imported post

On a side note to the OP

My pistol is SUPER OILED UP. Yours probably is too- this is standard from the factory because the pistols may stay shelved for long periods of time. Anyway- Make sure you clean your pistol really well and I would say re-oil it sparingly. Supposedly this frame/slide material is slippery as is.

That being said- This gun looks like a complete PITA to field strip. I'm not sure I have a 1/8" punch.. or is that a 3/32" now? (rhetorical)

PM me if you have any issues stripping your pistol. Plenty of internet Google help too

mahkagari

imported post

ZackL wrote:
Okay, so I finally got my first pistol purchased. I've been carrying around the house and in the car to get used to it but hadn't done anything more than that.
Just getting my regular broken record on here: Getting used to it has little to do with carrying it around the house and in the car and much more to do with range time with that particular pistol includingadrenaline powereddefensive drills. Anything less and you're just wearing a couple of pounds of fashion accessory that won't do you any good in a defensive situation. You may be able to get comfortable wearing it day to day to be "out and proud" about OC, but is that your ultimate goal?

ZackL

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
ZackL wrote:
Just getting my regular broken record on here: Getting used to it has little to do with carrying it around the house and in the car and much more to do with range time with that particular pistol includingadrenaline powereddefensive drills. Anything less and you're just wearing a couple of pounds of fashion accessory that won't do you any good in a defensive situation. You may be able to get comfortable wearing it day to day to be "out and proud" about OC, but is that your ultimate goal?

Okay, I should have worded that more appropriately. I had been carrying around the house and in the car to get used to having a firearm around me at all times. Getting used the the weight and feel of a gun on you isn't easy to get used to when you've never experienced anything like it. As far as range time, I have 40 acres and a small shooting pit that I use about twice a week (50 or more rounds every time). I've been practicing mag changes, double taps and movement. I understand what you're saying about why you should practice and familiarize yourself with your weapon, and I would like to think that I've been doing that fairly well, but, again, I probably should have worded the initial post better.

cscitney: I hate field stripping it, apparently you don't have to do it as often as with other firearms though, so that's a plus. I tore mine down the first day I had it and cleaned all the excess oil out and used my own and did so very sparingly as I'd read somewhere that it was advisable.

I'm going to put another 100-150 rounds through it Friday (today/tomorrow depending on how you look at it) or Sunday and then it will be time (250-300 rounds) to break it down and give it a great cleaning, I think.