Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: .17 HMR as a personal defense weapon

  1. #1
    Regular Member PincheOgro1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Perris, Ca., California, USA
    Posts
    420

    Post imported post

    Ever since I purchased my S&W .40, my wife has taken interest in getting her own. something small, and wants to get a CCW so she can carry in her purse. She wants a .22. I say "NAW"... not enough take down power. I have recently heard of and seen a few video clips on the NET pertaining to a .17 HMR. Compared to a .22 I think it is an AWSOME little weapon/round.

    Taurus sells one for $439.00, A little snub nose revolver, 8 round barrel.

    What do you think ?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    71

    Post imported post

    PincheOgro1 wrote:
    Ever since I purchased my S&W .40, my wife has taken interest in getting her own. something small, and wants to get a CCW so she can carry in her purse. She wants a .22. I say "NAW"... not enough take down power. I have recently heard of and seen a few video clips on the NET pertaining to a .17 HMR. Compared to a .22 I think it is an AWSOME little weapon/round.

    Taurus sells one for $439.00, A little snub nose revolver, 8 round barrel.

    What do you think ?
    Get her a Smith and Wesson Airlite in 38 special. Not sure of the model number. It kicks a lot with an aggressive load, but you can load it with light 38 rounds to reduce the recoil. It's very light and easy to use.

    I think thatpeople new to guns or unwilling to put in a fair amount of time in trainingwith guns should always carry a revolver. (We could argue whether or not they should even carry a gun forever). A revolver is simple to operate and you do not have to worry about safeties, magazines, clearing most malfunctions or the many other complexities of a semi auto.

    I think that the .17 is a great little rifle / varmint round, but a terrible self defensepistol round. It goes too fast and too far for in town / crowded room shooting. Not much immediate knock down power either in a 200 pound person in my opinion........

    If the Airlite is too pricy, you could probably pick up a used Air weight…….It’s one generation before the Airlite I think…..



  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Orange County, California, USA
    Posts
    90

    Post imported post

    Ditto.

    A S&W J-frame in 38 or even 357is a much betterchoice (she can always stick to 38 special +p rouns even in the 357). They even sell "Lady Smith" models. Ruger recently came up with it's LCR (light concealable revolver) models which may also be worth a look.

    Just another note: I've read that concealed carry inside a purse is not the best way to go, because the purse may not always be with her and/or can be snatched off. I don't know much about ladies' concealed holsters, but it's worth googling.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    84

    Post imported post

    Look at the Ruger SP 101 in .327

    Specs:
    [*]Weight: 2 1/4", 25 1/2 oz. (708g); 3 1/16", 27 oz.(765g). [*]Barrel lengths: 2 1/4" (57.15mm), 3 1/16" (77.79mm). [*]Double-Action/Single-Action (Double Action Only (D.A.O.), on select models). [*]5-shot (6-shot .327 Federal Magnum only).
    Compare to the Taurus .17 HMR

    Specs





    Model: 17MSSCH

    Finish: Stainless Steel

    Status: Available


    Caliber: .17 HMR

    UPC: 7-25327-35120-7

    Capacity: 8


    Weight: 22.2 oz

    Barrel Length: 1.75"

    Construction: Steel


    Height: 4.291"

    Frame: Small

    Width: 1.346"

    Obviously any gun is better than NO gun.



    I think a 22 mag would be better than .17 HMR for self defense if you were to go to a rimfire. The 17 HMR is a very small light round and is fairly frangible. Check out this comparison of the two rounds (it is based on being fired from a rifle but gives you some idea) http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_22WMR.htm

    But I just think the rimfires are marginal as a self defense round. The 327 offers a lot more firepower in a not much larger package. The question is what recoil your wife can handle comfortably. Even if it is not "rational" if your wife doesn't like the recoil she won't use it, will be afraid of it and won't carry it. Therefore I would recommend trying to get her comfortable with a bigger round but if that fails go with what makes her happy.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Vista, California, USA
    Posts
    516

    Post imported post

    I used to carry a .22 magnum as a BUG. Only had to use it once and it will cause severe brain damage (fatal) to the bg.

  6. #6
    Regular Member wewd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    664

    Post imported post

    The rimfires simply do not have the stopping power necessary to reliably disable an attacker in most cases. .22 mag would be better than .17 hmr, but I cannot recommend anything less powerful than .38 special or .380 auto. If your wife doesn't like your .40 cal, get her to try a 9mm. If she doesn't like that, try the other rounds previously mentioned. A Bersa Thunder .380 would be a good, reliable and inexpensive gun that would not have very much recoil and could still be capable of self defense use. Either that or a .38 revolver if that is more to your taste.
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

    Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

    "Live Free or Die"

  7. #7
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,629

    Post imported post

    The .327 mag is an awesome round with quite low recoil and fantastic ballistics - I want one!

    Only down side is that ammo is not readily avail. yet - think that will change as this loading catches on with the public.

    Taraus, Ruger and S & W all are into this market.

    http://www.chuckhawks.com/327_federal.htm



    Yata hey

    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    71

    Post imported post


    If she's going to do the purse carry, I would really stick with a small .38 or 357.

    For purse carry (not the best carry, but if that is what she is going to do, that's what you have to work with) an internal or a shrouded hammer is essential. There are huge snag problems with an exposed hammer.

    Also, the Airlite and Airweight are light weight. That gets real important as the days go by and the gun either drags her purse down or wears through the bottom because of sharp edges and weight.

    Also, if she carriesit in her purse, this thing will need to be cleaned frequently.



  9. #9
    Regular Member mjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SoCal, , USA
    Posts
    979

    Post imported post

    The smallest I will personally go is .38 +P as a Primary Carry Piece. However, I will carry a .25acp Beretta Tomcat as a BUG.

    As others have already mentions, I would highly recommend a S&W Airweight. For purse carry I think a bobbed hammer is a must.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    mjones wrote:
    The smallest I will personally go is .38 +P as a Primary Carry Piece. However, I will carry a .25acp Beretta Tomcat as a BUG.

    As others have already mentions, I would highly recommend a S&W Airweight. For purse carry I think a bobbed hammer is a must.
    I think you mean the "Bobcat", the Tomcat is the .32



  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lamma Island, HK
    Posts
    964

    Post imported post

    First and foremost get her the highest caliber she is capable and willing to handle. If she is only comfortable with a .17 or a .22 then go with that, it is still better than not being armed.

    While she may only be comfortable with those now, with time and practice she will quickly work her way up to something bigger and better.

    Although .17 or even .22 are not the most powerful rounds they can do enough damage to a person that, depending on the situation, may make them stop in their tracks and re-evaluate and they can and do kill if the shot is placed careful enough.

    There were several recent incidents, including the 11 y/o in Texas last week that protected his family with his .22 rifle after having been shot by the bad guys himself.

  12. #12
    Regular Member mjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SoCal, , USA
    Posts
    979

    Post imported post

    Decoligny wrote:
    mjones wrote:
    The smallest I will personally go is .38 +P as a Primary Carry Piece. However, I will carry a .25acp Beretta Tomcat as a BUG.

    As others have already mentions, I would highly recommend a S&W Airweight. For purse carry I think a bobbed hammer is a must.
    I think you mean the "Bobcat", the Tomcat is the .32

    Sorta correct...the 950BS often used to be called a Tomcat, but its certainly not marked anywhere in that fashion that I can remember. But I do also have a Bobcat

  13. #13
    Regular Member We-the-People's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    White City, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    2,234

    Post imported post

    A few things about"purse carry".

    FIRST: DO NOT let her just plop it into the purse she's been carrying. Spend the money and buy her a purse that is designed as a concealed carry holster. The weapon will have it's own compartment keeping it much cleaner and reducing/eliminating the chance of snagging. Have her practice (empty weapon) reaching in for her wallet but going to the gun and firing as well as getting it out for use......ensure that in this training she DISCARDS the purse as if she ever needs to use the gun, the purse is NOT important.

    As has already been said, purse carry calls for a revolver and is best with a hammerless or covered hammer design.



    SECOND: If she is going to do this (purse carry), be VERY ANAL about her sitting it down/not paying attention to where it is. Tell her that you are going to be doing this so there is less animosity created. When my wife first started carrying in her purse she would plop it down in a shopping cart and then turn her back on it only to turn back around and I would be standing between her and her purse., looking at her with "that look"....point made.

    When we would go out to eat she would get up to go to the restroom and want to leave the purse.......nope, take it with you. Her gun is her gun and she needs it WITH her.

    If she carries the purse and weapon to work she can't be leaving it at her deskto go to the water cooler, restroom, the boss's office, etc. It MUST be secured, at a minimum in a locking desk drawer which no one else has access to.

    When visiting friends or relatives, especially when kids are present, awareness is necessary and, again, can't just plop it down andn forget about the gun because you're in a safe environment. There is a gun in it and it needs to be controlled.

    Things like that need to be impressed upon her but in a way that teaches the correct behavior without causing her to hate you (or carrying).

    My wife now carries in her purse, small of back, or open on her side depending on the situation because she understands that she must maintain control of the weapon at all times or have it secured.


    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, California, USA
    Posts
    289

    Post imported post

    The biggest mistake guys make, is thinking a tiny, lightweight "girly gun" is best for a woman............

    WRONG!!!

    What is the most power, in the best carry gun YOU would carry in your jockstrap? That's where you need to think. A good handful of .357 is best. SP101, GP100, Chiefs Special etc.

    If a tiny gun hurts you to shoot it, think why would she want to?

  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lamma Island, HK
    Posts
    964

    Post imported post

    Army wrote:
    The biggest mistake guys make, is thinking a tiny, lightweight "girly gun" is best for a woman............

    WRONG!!!

    What is the most power, in the best carry gun YOU would carry in your jockstrap? That's where you need to think. A good handful of .357 is best. SP101, GP100, Chiefs Special etc.

    If a tiny gun hurts you to shoot it, think why would she want to?
    I hope you weren't insinuating that I was of that consortium. If she can handle and is comfortable with a .357 then by all means I agree. If she can't keep control of a .357 then I say she should carry what she can manage.

    I am comfortable with a .40 SW @ 100 yards, but not all are that comfortable.

  16. #16
    Regular Member mjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SoCal, , USA
    Posts
    979

    Post imported post

    Theseus wrote:
    Army wrote:
    The biggest mistake guys make, is thinking a tiny, lightweight "girly gun" is best for a woman............

    WRONG!!!

    What is the most power, in the best carry gun YOU would carry in your jockstrap? That's where you need to think. A good handful of .357 is best. SP101, GP100, Chiefs Special etc.

    If a tiny gun hurts you to shoot it, think why would she want to?
    I hope you weren't insinuating that I was of that consortium. If she can handle and is comfortable with a .357 then by all means I agree. If she can't keep control of a .357 then I say she should carry what she can manage.

    I am comfortable with a .40 SW @ 100 yards, but not all are that comfortable.

    Ditto for me, my recomendation is the same I would give any man based on the parameters outlined by the OP.


  17. #17
    Regular Member PincheOgro1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Perris, Ca., California, USA
    Posts
    420

    Post imported post

    PincheOgro1 wrote:
    Ever since I purchased my S&W .40, my wife has taken interest in getting her own. something small, and wants to get a CCW so she can carry in her purse. She wants a .22. I say "NAW"... not enough take down power. I have recently heard of and seen a few video clips on the NET pertaining to a .17 HMR. Compared to a .22 I think it is an AWSOME little weapon/round.

    Taurus sells one for $439.00, A little snub nose revolver, 8 round barrel.

    What do you think ?
    Watch the video below. Pay attention to the Block of Clay. THEN comment. I know they are using a rifle, but at a close quarters confrontation with a pistol, tell me which round would you prefer out of the two.

    Thank You.



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc37C...eature=related

  18. #18
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lamma Island, HK
    Posts
    964

    Post imported post

    PincheOgro1 wrote:
    PincheOgro1 wrote:
    Ever since I purchased my S&W .40, my wife has taken interest in getting her own. something small, and wants to get a CCW so she can carry in her purse. She wants a .22. I say "NAW"... not enough take down power. I have recently heard of and seen a few video clips on the NET pertaining to a .17 HMR. Compared to a .22 I think it is an AWSOME little weapon/round.

    Taurus sells one for $439.00, A little snub nose revolver, 8 round barrel.

    What do you think ?
    Watch the video below. Pay attention to the Block of Clay. THEN comment. I know they are using a rifle, but at a close quarters confrontation with a pistol, tell me which round would you prefer out of the two.

    Thank You.



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc37C...eature=related
    Wow. . . the .17 had really good grouping.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Vista, California, USA
    Posts
    516

    Post imported post

    The .17HMR is in a .22 magnum cartridge. I've hunted with a .22 magnum pistol and headshots will turn the inside ofa squirrel or a rabbit's head to a mush-like substance.

    .22 magnumrevolvers are available and some come with 2 cylinders, 1 for .22lr and 1 in .22 magnum.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Modesto, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    The only thing I don't like about revolvers is the grip required to shot properly. I started out with 1911, and then moved to the glock style. Never really felt comfortable with revolvers. My muscle memory kicks in when I switch between 1911 and glock style. I watch a lot of people at the range that hold a revolver incorrectly as if it were a pistol.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Harrah, Oklahoma
    Posts
    769

    Post imported post

    SomeGuyInCali wrote:
    The only thing I don't like about revolvers is the grip required to shot properly. I started out with 1911, and then moved to the glock style. Never really felt comfortable with revolvers. My muscle memory kicks in when I switch between 1911 and glock style. I watch a lot of people at the range that hold a revolver incorrectly as if it were a pistol.
    Can you elaborate on the difference in grip. I currently own a pistol but am looking into getting a .38 special.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Vista, California, USA
    Posts
    516

    Post imported post

    I never cared for the stock grips that came with any revolver. I replaced them with Pachmayrs. Makes all the difference in the world.

  23. #23
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,629

    Post imported post

    chewy352 wrote:
    SomeGuyInCali wrote:
    The only thing I don't like about revolvers is the grip required to shot properly. I started out with 1911, and then moved to the glock style. Never really felt comfortable with revolvers. My muscle memory kicks in when I switch between 1911 and glock style. I watch a lot of people at the range that hold a revolver incorrectly as if it were a pistol.
    Can you elaborate on the difference in grip. I currently own a pistol but am looking into getting a .38 special.
    There is a difference in grip/hand position that is easier to teach one-on-one than to describe. The following may help some:

    http://www.christiangunowner.com/cor...dgun_grip.html

    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Harrah, Oklahoma
    Posts
    769

    Post imported post

    Thanks for the info Grape. It seems like I may want to take a class when I do get my revolver.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

  25. #25
    Regular Member PincheOgro1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Perris, Ca., California, USA
    Posts
    420

    Post imported post

    The problem is NOT that she doesn't like my .40, it's that she cant "cock" it. LOL. I have a small wife. scrawny even. LOL. she LOVES my gun, and has become enamored with the idea. THAT is why she wants her own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •