• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.17 HMR as a personal defense weapon

chewy352

imported post

SomeGuyInCali wrote:
The only thing I don't like about revolvers is the grip required to shot properly. I started out with 1911, and then moved to the glock style. Never really felt comfortable with revolvers. My muscle memory kicks in when I switch between 1911 and glock style. I watch a lot of people at the range that hold a revolver incorrectly as if it were a pistol.
Can you elaborate on the difference in grip. I currently own a pistol but am looking into getting a .38 special.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

chewy352 wrote:
SomeGuyInCali wrote:
The only thing I don't like about revolvers is the grip required to shot properly. I started out with 1911, and then moved to the glock style. Never really felt comfortable with revolvers. My muscle memory kicks in when I switch between 1911 and glock style. I watch a lot of people at the range that hold a revolver incorrectly as if it were a pistol.
Can you elaborate on the difference in grip. I currently own a pistol but am looking into getting a .38 special.
There is a difference in grip/hand position that is easier to teach one-on-one than to describe. The following may help some:

http://www.christiangunowner.com/correct_handgun_grip.html

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

Yata hey

PincheOgro1

imported post

The problem is NOT that she doesn't like my .40, it's that she cant "cock" it. LOL. I have a small wife. scrawny even. LOL. she LOVES my gun, and has become enamored with the idea. THAT is why she wants her own.

aadvark

imported post

I personally have been known to Carry a .17 HMR Rifle, Loaded,for Personal Defense while in Public.

I do not live in California.