• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.17 HMR as a personal defense weapon

PincheOgro1

imported post

Ever since I purchased my S&W .40, my wife has taken interest in getting her own. something small, and wants to get a CCW so she can carry in her purse. She wants a .22. I say "NAW"... not enough take down power. I have recently heard of and seen a few video clips on the NET pertaining to a .17 HMR. Compared to a .22 I think it is an AWSOME little weapon/round.

Taurus sells one for $439.00, A little snub nose revolver, 8 round barrel.

What do you think ?

greg36f

imported post

PincheOgro1 wrote:
Ever since I purchased my S&W .40, my wife has taken interest in getting her own. something small, and wants to get a CCW so she can carry in her purse. She wants a .22. I say "NAW"... not enough take down power. I have recently heard of and seen a few video clips on the NET pertaining to a .17 HMR. Compared to a .22 I think it is an AWSOME little weapon/round.

What do you think ?
Get her a Smith and Wesson Airlite in 38 special. Not sure of the model number. It kicks a lot with an aggressive load, but you can load it with light 38 rounds to reduce the recoil. It's very light and easy to use.

I think thatpeople new to guns or unwilling to put in a fair amount of time in trainingwith guns should always carry a revolver. (We could argue whether or not they should even carry a gun forever). A revolver is simple to operate and you do not have to worry about safeties, magazines, clearing most malfunctions or the many other complexities of a semi auto.

I think that the .17 is a great little rifle / varmint round, but a terrible self defensepistol round. It goes too fast and too far for in town / crowded room shooting. Not much immediate knock down power either in a 200 pound person in my opinion........

If the Airlite is too pricy, you could probably pick up a used Air weight…….It’s one generation before the Airlite I think…..

Nopal

imported post

Ditto.

A S&W J-frame in 38 or even 357is a much betterchoice (she can always stick to 38 special +p rouns even in the 357). They even sell "Lady Smith" models. Ruger recently came up with it's LCR (light concealable revolver) models which may also be worth a look.

Just another note: I've read that concealed carry inside a purse is not the best way to go, because the purse may not always be with her and/or can be snatched off. I don't know much about ladies' concealed holsters, but it's worth googling.

sjalterego

imported post

Look at the Ruger SP 101 in .327

Specs:

[*]Weight: 2 1/4", 25 1/2 oz. (708g); 3 1/16", 27 oz.(765g).
[*]Barrel lengths: 2 1/4" (57.15mm), 3 1/16" (77.79mm).
[*]Double-Action/Single-Action (Double Action Only (D.A.O.), on select models).
[*]5-shot (6-shot .327 Federal Magnum only).
Compare to the Taurus .17 HMR

Specs

Model: 17MSSCH

Finish: Stainless Steel

Caliber: .17 HMR

UPC: 7-25327-35120-7

Capacity: 8

Weight: 22.2 oz

Barrel Length: 1.75"

Construction: Steel

Height: 4.291"

Frame: Small

Width: 1.346"

Obviously any gun is better than NO gun.

I think a 22 mag would be better than .17 HMR for self defense if you were to go to a rimfire. The 17 HMR is a very small light round and is fairly frangible. Check out this comparison of the two rounds (it is based on being fired from a rifle but gives you some idea) http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_22WMR.htm

But I just think the rimfires are marginal as a self defense round. The 327 offers a lot more firepower in a not much larger package. The question is what recoil your wife can handle comfortably. Even if it is not "rational" if your wife doesn't like the recoil she won't use it, will be afraid of it and won't carry it. Therefore I would recommend trying to get her comfortable with a bigger round but if that fails go with what makes her happy.

wewd

imported post

The rimfires simply do not have the stopping power necessary to reliably disable an attacker in most cases. .22 mag would be better than .17 hmr, but I cannot recommend anything less powerful than .38 special or .380 auto. If your wife doesn't like your .40 cal, get her to try a 9mm. If she doesn't like that, try the other rounds previously mentioned. A Bersa Thunder .380 would be a good, reliable and inexpensive gun that would not have very much recoil and could still be capable of self defense use. Either that or a .38 revolver if that is more to your taste.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The .327 mag is an awesome round with quite low recoil and fantastic ballistics - I want one!

Only down side is that ammo is not readily avail. yet - think that will change as this loading catches on with the public.

Taraus, Ruger and S & W all are into this market.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/327_federal.htm

Smith_632.jpg

Yata hey

greg36f

imported post

If she's going to do the purse carry, I would really stick with a small .38 or 357.

For purse carry (not the best carry, but if that is what she is going to do, that's what you have to work with) an internal or a shrouded hammer is essential. There are huge snag problems with an exposed hammer.

Also, the Airlite and Airweight are light weight. That gets real important as the days go by and the gun either drags her purse down or wears through the bottom because of sharp edges and weight.

Also, if she carriesit in her purse, this thing will need to be cleaned frequently.

mjones

imported post

The smallest I will personally go is .38 +P as a Primary Carry Piece. However, I will carry a .25acp Beretta Tomcat as a BUG.

As others have already mentions, I would highly recommend a S&W Airweight. For purse carry I think a bobbed hammer is a must.

Decoligny

imported post

mjones wrote:
The smallest I will personally go is .38 +P as a Primary Carry Piece. However, I will carry a .25acp Beretta Tomcat as a BUG.

As others have already mentions, I would highly recommend a S&W Airweight. For purse carry I think a bobbed hammer is a must.

I think you mean the "Bobcat", the Tomcat is the .32

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

First and foremost get her the highest caliber she is capable and willing to handle. If she is only comfortable with a .17 or a .22 then go with that, it is still better than not being armed.

While she may only be comfortable with those now, with time and practice she will quickly work her way up to something bigger and better.

Although .17 or even .22 are not the most powerful rounds they can do enough damage to a person that, depending on the situation, may make them stop in their tracks and re-evaluate and they can and do kill if the shot is placed careful enough.

There were several recent incidents, including the 11 y/o in Texas last week that protected his family with his .22 rifle after having been shot by the bad guys himself.

mjones

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
mjones wrote:

I think you mean the "Bobcat", the Tomcat is the .32
Sorta correct...the 950BS often used to be called a Tomcat, but its certainly not marked anywhere in that fashion that I can remember. But I do also have a Bobcat :)

We-the-People

imported post

A few things about"purse carry".

FIRST: DO NOT let her just plop it into the purse she's been carrying. Spend the money and buy her a purse that is designed as a concealed carry holster. The weapon will have it's own compartment keeping it much cleaner and reducing/eliminating the chance of snagging. Have her practice (empty weapon) reaching in for her wallet but going to the gun and firing as well as getting it out for use......ensure that in this training she DISCARDS the purse as if she ever needs to use the gun, the purse is NOT important.

As has already been said, purse carry calls for a revolver and is best with a hammerless or covered hammer design.

SECOND: If she is going to do this (purse carry), be VERY ANAL about her sitting it down/not paying attention to where it is. Tell her that you are going to be doing this so there is less animosity created. When my wife first started carrying in her purse she would plop it down in a shopping cart and then turn her back on it only to turn back around and I would be standing between her and her purse., looking at her with "that look"....point made.

When we would go out to eat she would get up to go to the restroom and want to leave the purse.......nope, take it with you. Her gun is her gun and she needs it WITH her.

If she carries the purse and weapon to work she can't be leaving it at her deskto go to the water cooler, restroom, the boss's office, etc. It MUST be secured, at a minimum in a locking desk drawer which no one else has access to.

When visiting friends or relatives, especially when kids are present, awareness is necessary and, again, can't just plop it down andn forget about the gun because you're in a safe environment. There is a gun in it and it needs to be controlled.

Things like that need to be impressed upon her but in a way that teaches the correct behavior without causing her to hate you (or carrying).

My wife now carries in her purse, small of back, or open on her side depending on the situation because she understands that she must maintain control of the weapon at all times or have it secured.

Army

imported post

The biggest mistake guys make, is thinking a tiny, lightweight "girly gun" is best for a woman............

WRONG!!!

What is the most power, in the best carry gun YOU would carry in your jockstrap? That's where you need to think. A good handful of .357 is best. SP101, GP100, Chiefs Special etc.

If a tiny gun hurts you to shoot it, think why would she want to?

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Army wrote:
The biggest mistake guys make, is thinking a tiny, lightweight "girly gun" is best for a woman............

WRONG!!!

What is the most power, in the best carry gun YOU would carry in your jockstrap? That's where you need to think. A good handful of .357 is best. SP101, GP100, Chiefs Special etc.

I hope you weren't insinuating that I was of that consortium. If she can handle and is comfortable with a .357 then by all means I agree. If she can't keep control of a .357 then I say she should carry what she can manage.

I am comfortable with a .40 SW @ 100 yards, but not all are that comfortable.

mjones

imported post

Theseus wrote:
Army wrote:

WRONG!!!

I hope you weren't insinuating that I was of that consortium. If she can handle and is comfortable with a .357 then by all means I agree. If she can't keep control of a .357 then I say she should carry what she can manage.

I am comfortable with a .40 SW @ 100 yards, but not all are that comfortable.

Ditto for me, my recomendation is the same I would give any man based on the parameters outlined by the OP.

PincheOgro1

imported post

PincheOgro1 wrote:

What do you think ?

Watch the video below. Pay attention to the Block of Clay. THEN comment. I know they are using a rifle, but at a close quarters confrontation with a pistol, tell me which round would you prefer out of the two.

Thank You.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc37CuVgR2g&feature=related

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PincheOgro1 wrote:
PincheOgro1 wrote:

What do you think ?

Watch the video below. Pay attention to the Block of Clay. THEN comment. I know they are using a rifle, but at a close quarters confrontation with a pistol, tell me which round would you prefer out of the two.

Thank You.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc37CuVgR2g&feature=related
Wow. . . the .17 had really good grouping.

yelohamr

imported post

The .17HMR is in a .22 magnum cartridge. I've hunted with a .22 magnum pistol and headshots will turn the inside ofa squirrel or a rabbit's head to a mush-like substance.

.22 magnumrevolvers are available and some come with 2 cylinders, 1 for .22lr and 1 in .22 magnum.

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

The only thing I don't like about revolvers is the grip required to shot properly. I started out with 1911, and then moved to the glock style. Never really felt comfortable with revolvers. My muscle memory kicks in when I switch between 1911 and glock style. I watch a lot of people at the range that hold a revolver incorrectly as if it were a pistol.