• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbie to OC.org

imported post

Hi folks, My name is Kevin and I live in Wyoming, MINN. My wife and I went and got our MN and Utah carry permits last fall. I started to carry every day with a in the waist band with a Smith & Wesson Sigma .40 cal. I found it to be a big gun durning the summer so i started to carry my wife's S&W 38 special. Its only a 5 shot compared to 14+1 Sigma. I also have a Fobus HK-1 holster for when i can wear a long shirt. I have been thinking about getting a Ruger 380 that i can put in my front pocket. What are your guys thoughts? Gander MTN has them for $350. I would like to have something easy to carry and not necessarily have to show.

Anyways, This looks like a neat forum.

Superlite27

imported post

Hey, Welcome to OCDO!

Good bunch of folks here. The posting isn't hot and heavy, so if you don't get any responses, just give it a little bit, and folks will eventually respond. I've found general discussion and specific related posts are sooner addressed than particular state's forums where the dialogue is often meet up or "places to OC" locally related.

Hope to hear more from you!

Daddyo

imported post

For pocket carry, you might want to look into a Keltec PF9. I love mine with a Desantis Nemisis holster.

No fondness in my heart for lightweight snubbies, and don't see the point of a heavy one. With a good belt and holster, my 4" barrel Rossi .357 carries just fine IWB.

Ivan Sample

imported post

Daddyo-

I agree with you because I have that same set up but with a kel-tec p11. Its an awesome set up due to the fact that when you draw your weapon the holster stays in your pocket. Plus no one will ever know that you are carrying until its to late for them.:celebrate

softailguy

imported post

New to this place also. Just wanted to add my $.02 to this thread.

I carry the Ruger LCP .380 myself and love it. Very easy to conceal and draw from a front pocket. With it being rounded off it's comfortable also. The bad thing is accuracy. Concider it a 15 footer, more of an arms length pistol like any of the shorties. Right now the .380 auto ammo is still a little tough to find if you want cheap stuff for the range. The 9mm may be the way to go right now if you want range ammo.

Just a few thoughts to chew on.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

softailguy wrote:
New to this place also. Just wanted to add my $.02 to this thread.

I carry the Ruger LCP .380 myself and love it. Very easy to conceal and draw from a front pocket. With it being rounded off it's comfortable also. The bad thing is accuracy. Concider it a 15 footer, more of an arms length pistol like any of the shorties. Right now the .380 auto ammo is still a little tough to find if you want cheap stuff for the range. The 9mm may be the way to go right now if you want range ammo.

Just a few thoughts to chew on.
Welcome to OCDO.

These guys have some surplus .380 - not bad price.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=83

Yaata hey

imported post

I picked up the Ruger LCP and i like it. I tried the uncle mikes #2 holster and didn't like it due to it didn't stay in my pocket. I while i was down in Robbinsdale at bills gun range i pucked up a new holster. he called a shoot from the holster/wallet type. here is a pic. I'm 50/50 on it. I like that i can put my hand in my pocket and grab it knowing i can draw with out any problems. What i don't like is it not fully protected, no finger guard.

What do you guys think?

Any other better holsters for the Ruger LCP

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

beyondsynthetics.com wrote:
I picked up the Ruger LCP and i like it. I tried the uncle mikes #2 holster and didn't like it due to it didn't stay in my pocket. I while i was down in Robbinsdale at bills gun range i pucked up a new holster. he called a shoot from the holster/wallet type. here is a pic. I'm 50/50 on it. I like that i can put my hand in my pocket and grab it knowing i can draw with out any problems. What i don't like is it not fully protected, no finger guard.

What do you guys think?

Thumbs down on the exposed trigger - IMO if it can go wrong, it will.

DeSantis makes a very nice pocket holster - very, very good grip on your pocket - none better.
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0040091290585a.shtml

Yata hey

SBR1

imported post

What do you guys think?

There is one slight problem with a wallet holster like that... Unless I am mistaken, that would need to be a registered class III item!!! Better check it out, but i know those normally are not legal without the paperwork.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SBR1 wrote:

What do you guys think?

There is one slight problem with a wallet holster like that... Unless I am mistaken, that would need to be a registered class III item!!! Better check it out, but i know those normally are not legal without the paperwork.
I know no such restriction on this type of firearm or holster.

Please cite source for need to register.

Code:
Title 2 of the 1968 Gun Control Act is the National
Firearms Act (26 USC sec. 5801 et seq.), hence NFA.  Title 1 is
generally called the Gun Control Act, (18 USC sec. 921 et seq.). 
NFA weapons are sometimes called class 3 weapons, because a class
3 SOT (see below) is needed to deal in NFA weapons.
http://www.recguns.com/Sources/IIF1.html

Yata hey

SBR1

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
SBR1 wrote:

What do you guys think?

I know no such restriction on this type of firearm or holster.

Please cite source for need to register.

Code:
Title 2 of the 1968 Gun Control Act is the National
Firearms Act (26 USC sec. 5801 et seq.), hence NFA. Title 1 is
generally called the Gun Control Act, (18 USC sec. 921 et seq.). 
NFA weapons are sometimes called class 3 weapons, because a class
3 SOT (see below) is needed to deal in NFA weapons.
http://www.recguns.com/Sources/IIF1.html

Yata hey

I'm a Class III dealer and recalled reading it in some of the NFA documentation..... I spent all of 2 minutes googling it now..... here ya go:

Read pages 5 and 6 about "Wallet Holsters"

http://www.atf.gov/publications/newsletters/ffl/ffl-newsletter-1997-08.pdf

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SBR1 wrote:
I'm a Class III dealer and recalled reading it in some of the NFA documentation..... I spent all of 2 minutes googling it now..... here ya go:

Appreciate it - my goggle fu got up and went. :?
Obviously it is under "other weapons."

I know that some states have a category of deceptive/disguised weapons for which one must have a permit to carry - cannot OC without.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/11635.html

Any day is a good day when I learn something or get something clarified. :)

Yata hey

SBR1

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
SBR1 wrote:

Appreciate it - my goggle fu got up and went. :?
Obviously it is under "other weapons."

I know that some states have a category of deceptive/disguised weapons for which one must have a permit to carry - cannot OC without.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/11635.html

Any day is a good day when I learn something or get something clarified. :)

Yata hey

No problem. It's a goofy law I think.... I was surprised to hear it was a "special" item....

Oh well... some info on the net is good to learn, before we get ourselves in hot water! :D