• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2009 Taxes

Sgt_Habz

imported post

Has anyone done their 2009 taxes yet? I took a look and compared my 2009 federal withheld to my 2008 federal withheld, and its about $800 less this year! I asked a couple of other guys I work with, and theirs are about the same.

Talked to my Mom, who has already done her taxes. She always claims "0" on her W-4 so she gets the nice return every year. This year, she's getting about $800 dollars less back. Her withholding were also much less this year. Coincidence?

So she calls her accountant at work. He explains that this is because of the "stimulus" earlier in the year that allowed us all to keep more of our money (about $15 per week). What they DIDN'T say was that we weren't going to keep it for long. They still want that federal tax, they just didn't collect during that "stimulus" period.

So I'm asking any of you to take a look and compare your 2008 to your 2009 federal withheld on your W-2's. I just want to make sure this is affecting us all. And you can bet this is going to spur one helluva response at the Tea Parties this year!

*This thread is somewhat in response to the recent references to the Declaration of Independence, specifically:
"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government..."

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Obama decided that people would be more prone to spend the extra $15 per paycheck than a one time "gift" which people tend to use to pay down debt which doesn't "stimulate" the economy.

Sgt_Habz

imported post

Yeah, that'd be fine if they said "we'll let you keep that extra $15 a week to stimulate the economy." But they're not letting us "keep" it, they're saying "we won't take that $15 a week out of your federal withholding, but we'll get that money back at the end of the year when you do your taxes!"

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This year i actually am getting back from the state 280.00 more than i have to pay the fed. nice not having to dip into your own pockets. my accountant rocks.:)
last year i paid in:? , the economy has caused a slight drop in bookings for the 2009 year. but my 2010 bookings are better right now, than this same period in 2008 so i am expecting a stellar year for a change.:)

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm one of those guys that contributes to the governments annual 0% savings account by claiming 0 on my W-4. Inow have 4 deductions and lots ofinterestto itemize which "rewards" me with substantial refunds. Last year Igot analmost five-figure refunddue to medical expenses andthe lifetime learning credit. This year was a bit less, but enough for me to purchase an almost new camper for the family. I'm not one of those guys that can put away $500-$700 a month into savings for an annual purchase, so I let Uncle Sam (and Doyle) do it for me.

anmut

imported post

Thanks to my wife being laid off and on un-taxed unemployment since June, I get to pay IN $1300.

Yeaaaa - so after I work hard all year and she sits around enjoying the summer and fall I get to pay her taxes out of my hard earned money. Why am I married again?

:cuss:

anmut

imported post

You would think, but it's even more expensive. As we are married we can file separate as married but not separate as single. Bottom line, feds get their money when we could use it most.