• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kalamazoo Long Gun OC Event

G

imported post

EM87 wrote:
Ok, he's not 18 yet.

Back on topic please.
Hmmm.

I find that quite interesting.

Tell us lf66, what long gun, in your experience, do you find the most appropiate to utilize for this event?

I have several different types and I can't quite decide which would provide the desired result.

B

Bikenut

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
EM87 wrote:
Ok, he's not 18 yet.

Back on topic please.
Hmmm.

Tell us lf66, what long gun, in your experience, do you find the most appropiate to utilize for this event?

I have several different types and I can't quite decide which would provide the desired result.
Just curious... what result do you desire? Just wondering what criteria folks are using to choose which long gun to carry?

mikestilly

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
EM87 wrote:
Ok, he's not 18 yet.

Back on topic please.
Hmmm.

Just curious... what result do you desire? Just wondering what criteria folks are using to choose which long gun to carry?

Here's the criteria.

B

Bikenut

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
Bikenut wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
EM87 wrote:
Ok, he's not 18 yet.

Back on topic please.
Hmmm.

Here's the criteria.
Believe it or not.. I was asking a serious question.

Small wonder folks get annoyed with discussing things on the forum.

office888

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
EM87 wrote:
Ok, he's not 18 yet.

Back on topic please.
Hmmm.

I just happened to choose the idea of the AR15, because quite frankly, it's a familiar platform that people recognize as a "patriots rifle", the "bringer of freedom", etc. Versus the AK platform, which has a very negative "idea" attached to it, hence the reason why most departments ban it's use as a patrol rifle.

However, if we could flood this event with quite a selection of firearms, I don't think the public would look down upon someone choosing an AK-type weapon. Bottom line: Heck with it, bring out your AR15s, SKSs, AK-type rifles, Mosin-Nagants, Rem 700s, Winchester 94s.

The only requirement is a sling, to allow you to either african-carry, or static carry. Choose a solid sling, that allows minimal touching of the weapon itself.

Ideally, one city would be a better idea, with a month or two advanced notice. This would give us time to notify newspapers, television stations, and such. I think if we split it amongst two cities, less people would probably show up for either because people would say "Hey, I'm only going to go to the one that's closer to me!". If we do one city, the turnout would probably be quite a bit higher.

Ideally, Lansing, because we allllll know how they feel about open-carry. :)

-Richard-

G

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
Bikenut wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
EM87 wrote:
Ok, he's not 18 yet.

Back on topic please.
Hmmm.

Here's the criteria.
Believe it or not.. I was asking a serious question.

Small wonder folks get annoyed with discussing things on the forum.
Believe it or not, so was I.

Having organized the last event in Lansing, made contact with the restaurant manager, both before and as a follow-up, I thought that he would be able to provide some experienced insight as to what rifle he considered adequate to achieve the desired objective of firearm open carry.

johnniebravo

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
Only reason I asked is you will draw much more people if you move it further east. I myself don't own a long arm yet :) Us non-long arm owners OC'ers would probably still like to join up with you guys. I dont think I can pull off another drive to Lansing or BC area for a while (4hrs of driving in all) Dont let that stop you from having it where ever is best for everyone :) I was only making suggestions.
If it happens I'm gonna go, seeing as there are a few of us right next door to each other we could carpool to the event. I got room in the Jeep for 4 and our gear

B

Bikenut

imported post

Sorry for the confusion CV67PAT... my question was for the last post by Mike because it brought up a question in my mind as to what folks thought about when choosing a long gun for carry.

Actually I should have done the -snip- thing and avoided the confusion. I goofed.:(

G

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
Sorry for the confusion CV67PAT... my question was for the last post by Mike because it brought up a question in my mind as to what folks thought about when choosing a long gun for carry.

Actually I should have done the -snip- thing and avoided the confusion. I goofed.:(
No problem. I just wanted to ensure that it was considered serious.

The OP really didn't specify any.

I know that the AR has been discussed, but I was looking for some experience OC advice.

B

Bikenut

imported post

office888 wrote:
I just happened to choose the idea of the AR15, because quite frankly, it's a familiar platform that people recognize as a "patriots rifle", the "bringer of freedom", etc. Versus the AK platform, which has a very negative "idea" attached to it, hence the reason why most departments ban it's use as a patrol rifle.

However, if we could flood this event with quite a selection of firearms, I don't think the public would look down upon someone choosing an AK-type weapon. Bottom line: Heck with it, bring out your AR15s, SKSs, AK-type rifles, Mosin-Nagants, Rem 700s, Winchester 94s.

The only requirement is a sling, to allow you to either african-carry, or static carry. Choose a solid sling, that allows minimal touching of the weapon itself.

Ideally, one city would be a better idea, with a month or two advanced notice. This would give us time to notify newspapers, television stations, and such. I think if we split it amongst two cities, less people would probably show up for either because people would say "Hey, I'm only going to go to the one that's closer to me!". If we do one city, the turnout would probably be quite a bit higher.

Ideally, Lansing, because we allllll know how they feel about open-carry. :)

-Richard-
Thank you... I had not considered the "image" of the AK sending a negative note.

While typing I had a thought.... check my logic please...

Folks seeing long arms carried can identify with the AR platform but just about any hunter has a deer rifle (deer rifle used as a generic hunting type rifle reference... fill in make, model, caliber of choice here_________) and could readily identify with that causing some thought and perhaps more of a readiness for someone to step up and ask questions.

Now, before another war starts... I didn't say limit the choices to any specific platform.:)

EM87

imported post

The type of long arm doesn't matter. It's education we're going for here. AR, AK, Mosin-Nagant, whatever.

When and where do you all want to have this event?

I originally suggested early to mid March in Kalamazoo. If we decide that we want it to be held somewhere else, I'll start a new thread so the title does not include "Kalamazoo".

mikestilly

imported post

johnniebravo wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
Only reason I asked is you will draw much more people if you move it further east. I myself don't own a long arm yet :) Us non-long arm owners OC'ers would probably still like to join up with you guys. I dont think I can pull off another drive to Lansing or BC area for a while (4hrs of driving in all) Dont let that stop you from having it where ever is best for everyone :) I was only making suggestions.
If it happens I'm gonna go, seeing as there are a few of us right next door to each other we could carpool to the event. I got room in the Jeep for 4 and our gear

Sounds good to me with good planning I'd go and I'm sure SprinklerGuy would join us.

EM87

imported post

When?

Where?

Early to mid March?

Don't just talk about it, help me plan it! If you're reading this and might be interested in participating, POST YOUR INPUT!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

EM87 wrote:
The type of long arm doesn't matter. It's education we're going for here. AR, AK, Mosin-Nagant, whatever.

When and where do you all want to have this event?

I originally suggested early to mid March in Kalamazoo. If we decide that we want it to be held somewhere else, I'll start a new thread so the title does not include "Kalamazoo".

Heya, EM87.

I think this is for you and LF66:

mastiff69 wrote:
Well here it is so everyone knows, i am done with the way this group is moving, i wish you all the very best.

It seems that certain new people know it all, and want to rock the boat, rock all you wantas sooner or later it will turn over..

There are many of us that were the roots of the tree, as we leave exist stage left, the tree will fall.

You guys at the top of the tree enjoy the ride !!:uhoh:

You seem to believe that there are no limits, and that you can force, &demand your rights, just remember this little saying (YOU GET MORE BEES WITH HONEY, than you get with vinegar's))

I have done my part to the best of my ability to promote positive opencarry, over the last 2 + yearsby educating & leading by gentle persuasion, not by in your face attitude, good luck with that......

To the old timers and the Battle Creek guys lets do lunch:lol:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=37523

autosurgeon

imported post

OK here is my take.... Lil made a comment about doing something with his .22 that was not a good idea... many of us told him why it was not a good idea... I think he was able to learn from that!

But there is no need to be nasty about it or flame him. We all get ideas sometimes that seem great but turn out with further thought to not be such a good idea.

Sometimes it even takes others telling us itis not a good idea for us to figure it out...

However once the lesson is learned there is no need to continue bashing!

EM87

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
SNIP

Sometimes it even takes others telling us itis not a good idea for us to figure it out...

However once the lesson is learned there is no need to continue bashing!

+1