• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An LEO who "gets it"

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I found this posted on another website forum (officer.com) and thought I'd share what an Alabama police officer wrote regarding open carry:

"Education (a.k.a. training) is the key, and it is one of the responsibilities of a Supervisor to ensure that their subordinate officers are trained and don't arrest anyone falsely or violate a citizen's civil rights. It is, in fact, a violation of federal law to knowingly violate a citizen's civil rights under color of law.

Our system of law is based upon the premise that one is PRESUMED innocent unless proven guilty. To treat every individual who chooses to carry a handgun openly (where there is no statute forbidding it) as if they are committing a crime is as ridiculous as treating every one you may see in a store as though they are shoplifting."

:monkey

scorpio_vette

imported post

here is the cudahy, wisconsin police department code of ethics.

LAW ENFORCEMENT CODE OF ETHICS

AS A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to
safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception and the weak
against violence or disorder and to respect the Constitutional rights of all men to liberty,
equality and justice.

I WILL keep my private life unsullied as an example to all; maintain courageous calm in
the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule; develop self-restraint and be constantly mindful of
the others. Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official life, I will be
exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of my department.
Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided in me in my official
capacity will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my
duty.

I WILL never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities or
friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless
prosecution of criminals, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without
fear or favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never
accepting gratuities.

I RECOGNIZE the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a
public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will
constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself to my chosen
profession...LAW ENFORCEMENT.

assuming that the milwaukee PD code of ethics says something similiar, i think FLYNN should read this part again: "I WILL never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities or
friendships to influence my decisions"

WIG19

imported post

That's a very standard LE Code of Ethics and is found nearly indentically in the forward for the Milwaukee Police Assn's charter.

http://milwaukeepoliceassoc.com/pdfs/constitutions/mpaconstitution%20&%20bylaws%2007-27-09.pdf

Keep in mind that it's a professional organization's Code of Ethics to which its members (allegedly) subscribe, it's not a policy & procedures manual, nor an oath. If it were, Chief Flynn couldn't make it to the 3rd paragraph since his "ride-along" with Jessica McBride.

Actually the AL officer quoted in the opening post has the right attitude (toward education) and seems to be ready to do what it took way too long for the State AG to do (with limited effect).