• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

India: New groups mobilize as Indians embrace the right to bear arms

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

New groups mobilize as Indians embrace the right to bear arms
Washington Post
World; A9
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/31/AR2010013102079.html
February 1, 2010

SNIP

In the land of Mahatma Gandhi, Indian gun owners are coming out of the shadows for the first time to mobilize, U.S.-style, against proposed new curbs on bearing arms.

When gunmen attacked 10 sites in Mumbai in November 2008, including two five-star hotels and a train station, Mumbai resident Kumar Verma sat at home glued to the television, feeling outraged and unsafe.

Before the end of December, Verma and his friends had applied for gun licenses. He read up on India's gun laws and joined the Web forum Indians for Guns. When he got his license seven months later, he bought a black, secondhand, snub-nose Smith & Wesson revolver with a walnut grip.

"I feel safe wearing it in my ankle holster every day," said Verma, 27, who runs a family business selling fire-protection systems. "I have a right to self-protection, because random street crime and terrorism have increased. The police cannot be there for everybody all the time. Now I am a believer in the right to keep and bear arms."

Verma said he plans to join the recently formed National Association for Gun Rights India to lobby against new gun controls that the government has proposed, blaming the proliferation of both licensed and illegal weapons for a rise in crime. . . .

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Very awesome.

When law-abiding citizens realize, and embrace, they're the 95% of the human race, while law-breaking criminals occupy the remaining 5%, they'll begin standing up to defend self, property, and loved ones against those who would deprive them of such.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

since9 wrote:
Very awesome.

When law-abiding citizens realize, and embrace, they're the 95% of the human race, while law-breaking criminals occupy the remaining 5%, they'll begin standing up to defend self, property, and loved ones against those who would deprive them of such.
I presume that 5% includes the Governments? They certainly aren't peaceful citizens... So they must be...

:p

CO-Joe

imported post

Wow, that's incredible. I thought India was one of those countries with complete prohibition. Hope they gain some steam!

BillMCyrus

imported post

Hopefully this will carry over to the Indian populations in the US and UK to cultivate them as a pro gun constituency. We need their help and they're a great community to work with.

Virginian683

imported post

This just goes to show that gun ownership is actually legal in more countries than Americans tend to think -- although there is often a good deal of red tape. 7 months for a gun license....that's almost as bad as NYC. :quirky

Also prices tend to be 50 - 100% higher than what Americans pay for the same guns.

Diocoles

imported post

3500 Indian Rupees for a .32 revolver.

That's roughly $75 american dollars.

1200-1950 Indian Rupees for a Winchester Shotgun.

$25-$42 american dollars...

Expensive.. no.

Takes time, yes.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Diocoles wrote:
3500 Indian Rupees for a .32 revolver.

That's roughly $75 american dollars.

1200-1950 Indian Rupees for a Winchester Shotgun.

$25-$42 american dollars...

Expensive.. no.

Takes time, yes.
In the local economy, that's craziness expensive. And no, that's not for a Winchester, but a local knock-off from back in the day that they were allowed to make them, and I wouldn't want it next to my face when I pulled the trigger. I'd sooner build a zip gun from toilet paper tubes.

Garp

imported post

We have Indian programmers come to our Utah based company for a few weeks a a time, and one of the first things they timidly ask about is if they can go shooting like their co-workers who rotated through before, were able to.

One thought it was a joke, til we ran down to Sportsman's warehouse to pick up some ammo for the range, and he could actually touch and hold any number of the firearms there.

Ater shouldering and firing a few rounds from my Mosin. the last one of them I took shooting looked at me with a tear wellin in his eye and said "this is what makes a free man".