• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The differnece between MOC and OCDO

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

There has been some confusion lately regarding the forum. This has been brought up before but for some reason there still seems to be an issue.

This forum is a part of Open Carry.org started by two guys out of Virginia (John and Mike). This has NOTHING to do with Michigan Open Carry, Inc. (MOC, Inc.). They are two completely separate organizations.

Further, MOC, Inc. does not necessarily endorse, support, share, or disagree with any of the posts or comments made on this forum. Nor do they necessarily represent MOC, Inc.

This forum is merely a way for people to communicate, and there are official members of MOC, Inc. that do use this forum frequently. However, as an organization we have NO CONTROL over what is said, or how people conduct themselves. We do not moderate this site nor do we have control over what people may say.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Thank you,

GeneralDET

G

imported post

Thank you for clearing that up.

I was rather confused by Warchild resigning his position as an officer of MOC, Inc as a result of my posting here. For that reason, I thought the two were related in some formal manner.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Thank you for the clarification. I also suffered under the misconception that this forum, and events informally organized through postings on the forum, had an official endorsement of MOC.

I stand corrected.:)

WARCHILD

imported post

It is an easy misconception to make. MOC is basically derived from members of this forum. Since MOC does not at this time have a discussion forum, all discussions by members and others have taken place here. Giving the idea that this is a MOC forum. If / when MOC has it's own forum up and running, I believe it will make the two forums distinct unto themselves.
JMO

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
It is an easy misconception to make. MOC is basically derived from members of this forum. Since MOC does not at this time have a discussion forum, all discussions by members and others have taken place here. Giving the idea that this is a MOC forum. If / when MOC has it's own forum up and running, I believe it will make the two forums distinct unto themselves.
JMO

I don't know. It seems particularly clear that the various state-level advocacy groups that are represented here by their members are notthe same as OCDO.

So, MOC, BFA, CCDL, et al. are all welcome at OCDO but those orgs. have different missions, goals, standards, cultures, temperments, etc.

The way I learned it was in the difference between VCDL and OCDO. VCDL is almost totallyVirginians, as one might expect. And OCDO was started by and early on dominated by the VA members in terms of activity and postings. There are LOTS of VCDL postings on OCDO.But VCDL is a different mission and goals than OCDO. For example, VCDL does not even specifically support open carry. They have stayed away from that issue. They are, of course, a very strong (and very effective) supporter of VA RKBA.

MOC, if nothing else by its name, supports open carry. So, its goals definitely overlap with OCDO. But MOC may choose to support modes of open carry, such as rifles in urban ares--if it chooses to do so. (MOC policy is a bit unclear about that at the moment.)

OCDO has been a moderatelybig tent. It has welcomed and accomodated participation from many pro-gun/rights sectors. That's why I like it so much. One can learn a lot about gun rights from hanging around here--both the good and the bad of the pro-gun/rights advocacy.

Does MOC have any plans to start a stand-alone forum, btw? Say, similar to the BFA one? I hope so. It would another interesting pro-rights effort and would be educational to read. I would join it just to keep informed and to learn what's going on in that part of the world.

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

Several new members of the forum have stated there confusion and concern in regards to some of the recent post's. Do to Michigan NOT having a moderator for this states section of this forum, hopefully will shed some light on the difference's. The information, that this is a public forum with public ideals and troll like attitudes will hopefully be understood by new members. As this is basicly a uncontrolled or should I say out of control public forum, needed to be ackowledged by MOC staff. Hopefully in the future this will be resolved. I have heard talk of a MOC official forum however I think that may be in limbo do to quiters and YES Men.

G

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
JMO
Let me be the first to say welcome back Warchild!!!

I'm glad you are here.

I knew you were a WINNER!!! And NOT a quitter!!!

WARCHILD

imported post

Thanks Pat, I've never really quit; just had to step back for a while and clear the cyclone. I look forward to more meaningful conversations.

G

imported post

This is my reply to a similar query in another thread:

CV67PAT wrote:
Bikenut wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
First MOC did NOT organize this event. A few MOC members were at the event. After the problems with the Lansing police MOC brass communicated with the Lansing PD and the situation has been resolved nicely.

MOC will be coming out with guidelines to help folks more easily organize events. One of the things that needs to be done is every event must have a designated contact for the property owner. This person needs to be at the location prior to the event and the property owner needs to know that if any concerns come up that this person will take care of it.
Please correct me if I am mistaken.... and please understand that I am asking for clarification and not complaining.

Any "events" organized by individuals using this forum for communication are not MOC events?

Odd that since reading the stickies at the top concerning the objectives and methods of MOC

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html

combined with the other sticky about planning get togethers

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/16628.html

definitely left me with the impression that any and all "events" organized on the forum were under the umbrella of MOC.

Obviously I had the wrong impression about the whole thing.:)

I suspect others may have had, or do still have, the same misunderstanding.
The first link is a posting about MOC getting their site up and an outline of their objectives etc. It doesn't make any connection therein between MOC and OCDO. That post is utilizing OCDO to diseminate information about MOC.

The second link is an undertaking by an "individual" to establish some criteria for posting events. He isn't even in Michigan. And in each of the subsequent posts in that thread there isn't even any mention of MOC at all.

Eve in this sticky:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/15478.html

It is titled as "Michigan Events Schedule Thread". It was prepared by an "individual" in an attempt to centrally locate events that are planned in Michigan.

It says... "Attention open carry members" and NOT "attention Michigan Open Carry, Inc members".

There is mention by the OP there for the MOC RTMs to forward him information about MOC events, but that is simply for inclusion of the events in the thread.

If you look throught the deliniated events you will notice that some have MOC in their title and others do not. That is a clear distinction between the two. The ones that say MOC blah blah blah are "official/sanctioned" MOC events.

The others are merely events organized by individuals for particpation by anyone interested. This not to say that non-members can not attend "official" MOC events. I believe that it just means that participation in those events shall be in accordance with the stated objections contained in the Mission Statement of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. as present on the homepage of it's website.

http://www.miopencarry.org/page.php?HomePage

I hope that this is helpful in clearing up some of the confusion.
This is the original thread I cut it from:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/reply.php?topic_id=37570&post_id=646843&quote=1

Hopefully this will help to see where there is a seperation of the organizatios, even though MOC utilizes OCDO to disseminate information in cooperation with the owners of OCDO.