• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry a handgun in a pickup without a CPL

Banger

imported post

A buddy of mine just asked me how he can carry a handgun in his truck with him without a CPL. I believe as long as its unloaded in a locked case out of his reach like under the backseat or something then he is fine, is this correct?

PilotPTK

MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, US
imported post

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Michigan+Transport+Pistol

MCL 750.231a A person is now permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a trunk, the pistol may be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle unloaded and inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

THway

imported post

Banger wrote:
A buddy of mine just asked me how he can carry a handgun in his truck with him without a CPL. I believe as long as its unloaded in a locked case out of his reach like under the backseat or something then he is fine, is this correct?
IF it is a single cab truck, behind the bench seat would be fine...

IF it is an ext. cab truck, the cargo netting in the back are would do

IF it is a 4 door ext. cab like my truck... i place it in the cargo netting under the rear bench seat....

OR your friend could just go get his CPL.... and would be MUCH better all around... TRUST ME....

Edit:

WOW.... pilot beat me to the response.... i must be getting slow...