• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'd in Onalaska and LaCrosse yesterday. . .

hardballer

imported post

Had to go to Gundersen with my wife yesterday and made a stop at The King Street Kitchen where we enjoyed a very nice repast. Was greeted same as always and treated the same. Only difference is that I was carrying.

Had occasion to stop at Walmart, got a few looks but no worries there.

Jumped over to Woodman's and spoke with both managers who; one week before, had asked my wife and me to leave. One was very cordial, the other more formal. Had a funny thing happen while we were shopping there though, My wife and I are in the produce section and she sends me on a journey to acquire the finest Mangoes available.

As I turn to embark on this important mission for my wife, I turn and lock eyes with two ganstas not 20 paces away. Eventually, I am nearly run down by this duo. Big guys and very Chicago or Detroit gang like individuals.

One guy had to go 400lbs. decked out complete with gold chain around his neck and the other was a weight lifter type, dread locks and gang jacket, baggy pants etc. The big guy has a furled brow and squinty eyes while the Muscles has that dead mean look on his face, eyeballs my sidearm long and hard as he approaches. Maybe 3 or four paces worth, looks at his pard and grunts something unintelligible. They split and go around me, Muscles brushes my off side shoulder.

Long ago, I learned to stand my ground and never look away or show fear so I did my thing and they did theirs in what I am sure is a ritual that has taken place since the dawn of time.

I was on red alert as we exited the store later in the evening but nothing happened. whew. We shopped and left.

Headed to Best Buy where I picked up a digital recorder and scared the heck out of at least six blue shirts. They milled about, I imagine to get a good look at the gunslinger. I'd never seen that many blue shirts in one place at one time before.

Eyes were bugging out and fear was palpable. I asked the one who was almost trembling a few questions about digital recorders and was able to calm him down long enough to get the information I needed to make a decision. Chose my recorder, Paid and left without incident.

Stopped at the Hobby Lobby where several of the workers saw my sidearm but made no fuss about it. All women. Having my wife with me probably helped in that respect.

Finally, we were done shopping and headed home, one last stop at Kwik Trip and away we went. All in all, a good experience.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

All my La Crosse and Onalaska experiences have went very well. Ibelievethat La Crosse and Onalaska may be one of the most OC friendly areas in the state. I speculate this may be due to the honorable Mr. Hubert Hoffman.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sounds like you had a pretty successful carry day!

I've only OCed at Best Buy once...and as I was driving away from the store (driving between Kohls and Hobby Lobby) a police car and firetruck with their lights on passed me heading right towards Best Buy. My first reaction was that somebody had called a mwag call and that's why they were heading there. I should have turned around and seen where they actually went.

Anyways we do have a La Crosse Co post, so if you want to post future carries there you can. The last post on there is about you!

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/25383-11.html

hardballer

imported post

I'll re-post this over there. I agree about LaCrosse Co. So far so good. And yes, Mr. Hoffman deserves to be recognized for what appears to be a tireless effort. He has my thanks as well.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You will NOT have any issue with any of the management at any of the places listed in the OP. We have a letter from Best Buy, and verbal confirmation from Woodman's.

Sometimes people stare, sometimes they don't. I'm in WalMart in Onalaska last night. Went into Subway to get subs to go. The entire time I am there, this Walmart employee who was in there eating, kept eying me.

Well done hardballer, more people educated.

Carry On.