• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter to Company for OCing at work.

Remmy

imported post

Well I am definitely still very new here and i wanted to put this out here for some feedback and or suggestions. My company currently has a no weapons at work policy and I work a grave yard shift till 3am and am requesting from upper management and the company itself permission to carry instead of leaving in my car. I for obvious reasons will XXX out the names of people and company.

XXX,

I am writing this letter to you tonight for a concern I have had and have been thinking about ever since I began working on the “Grave Yard” shift. Now let me start off by saying I have fully familiarized myself with the employee hand book in regards to this topic in this letter. I am referring to the section

“Immediately Terminable Offenses[/i][/i]
You or any 'XXX' employee may be discharged without any prior warning, regardless of the length of tenure with [/i]'XXX'[/i], for committing any of the following acts: [/i]
Possession of a weapon on [/i]'XXX'[/i] premises, unless that weapon has just been confiscated from another employee or person”[/i]

I would like to start off by stating I am a law abiding gun owner and take every opportunity to exercise my 2nd amendment rights. With Nevada being an “Open Carry” state I frequently open carry in the public as well as while I am driving my vehicle, and familiar with the gun laws here in our great state of Nevada.

I understand and have abided by the Policies of this company in regards to “weapons” as I leave my firearm in my vehicle every time I come to work. What I am requesting here in this letter that an exception be extended to myself or anyone that wishes to protect their self while at work, during this late night shift. I understand I am perfectly safe while working here inside the office however; I do stretch my legs when I can and enjoy a cigarette outside. Due to the nature of my shift I leave work anywhere from 3 am to 4 am every time I am working. I have never once felt unsafe while working at 'XXX'[/i] however once I step outside the doors the safe haven is now gone.

I have seen some questionable activity as well as many vehicles use our parking lot now more then ever for turning around and or just drive through. As well as increased amount of foot traffic on Durango due to the construction projects in the immediate vicinity being completed or on going. With the absences of grounds security patrolling the area, and every growing development of this area in general I would much rather work with piece of mind my primary defensive tool is safe and secure on my person, instead of locked in my vehicle hidden from view.

I would like to be granted the ability to carry my sidearm on my hip in full view to keep in line with the Nevada Gun laws of open carrying a loaded/unloaded firearm. Furthermore I only wish to carry my sidearm during the course of my immediate shift and will at no time feel the need to bring my sidearm into the building for company meetings and or shift changes etc. I am only asking that a prevision be made for this shift that starts at 7:00 PM and ending at 3:00 AM. I further am asking for this not to disobey any 'XXX'[/i] set forth policies that are in place for a good reason. I would like to be granted permission to utilize “OUR” second amendment rights to adequately defend ourselves and the right to bear arms. I again reaffirm that I be granted the ability to express my second amendment rights during the grave yard shift only due to the nature of leaving work at such a late hour.

I want to lastly thank you for your time and consideration into this matter. I strongly desire this and feel due to the nature of this shift, as I am not exposed to any of our customers or cliental during these out of normal business hours to perform my job functions. The reasoning behind this letter is to not change policy but be granted permission to carry my sidearm without the fear of losing my job which I would never do without prior written permission from my superiors. I would like to leave you with that I am of sound mind and absence of any illegal intent in this matter. I eagerly await yours and the companies’ position and decision in this matter.

---
Respectfully,

Daniel 'XXX' [/i]| Network Engineer | 'XXX'[/i]

Vegassteve

imported post

I would be careful with your wording. As in telling them you have been leaving your firearm in your car. If you use a parking lot for the employees then you have been breaking the rule already and they may just fire you.

Remmy

imported post

thank you for the reply, as this is a building with other companies having suites in it we lease our section and dont own so i dont believe ive been breaking company policy as there arent to my knowledge assigned parking other then under the sun shaded spaces which we do not park under. but i think ill take your advise and forgo that information just to be safe. Hopefully ill be allowed to OC here soon.