• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The long-armed side of OC

Lunie

imported post

It just occurred to me...

I have both a Gideon's Bible, and a booklet from a Vegetarian movement in my backpack right now, both handed out to me as I made my way to classes on campus.

I can still remember in recent times seeing anti-abortion activists protesting along the main highway through town, adjacent to campus.

There is a guy who walks several miles up and down that same highway, carrying a cross, though I couldn't say for sure exactly why in particular he did so.

And I still remember those meat protesters in St. Louis. One of them said something to my dad, and he mentioned we raise beef. She wanted to buy a calf, and I suppose she thought she could keep/raise/save the little bugger all in her apartment building in town...

All that to get to this; I was wondering about what it might entail to carry one of the "non-concealable" variety out and about around town. I haven't read anything that would make it different from strapping a 1911 to your side, but just because I haven't READ it...

What if, for example, I'd like to take a walk around the town's sidewalks with a long gun slung over my shoulder. Not talking doing much other than being seen in public.

Many people protest for things they believe in. Or they just demonstrate, more or less without words. This would be more toward the latter.

I dunno, what do the knowledgeable folks of opencarry think about the subject?

Superlite27

imported post

Kinda' depends on what town you refer to when you say "around the town's sidewalks".

Check the laws in the places you would do so. They often stipulate "concealable" or not. I personally wouldn't tote a rifle, although I often have my AK in the gun rack in the back window of my truck.

I wouldn't pack it around town. (My name isn't kwikrnu!) Although I wouldn't do it, I can't be judgemental on whether you do or not. I merely advocate obeying the law.

I'm not the one going to jail if I misread it.

If you do, good luck.

aadvark

imported post

It is Legal to Open Carry a Long-gun in Missouri.

Just watch out for those Open Carry Ordinances as are authorized under Missouri Law Section 21-750(3).

brolin_1911a1

imported post

Assuming you've researched the Rolla city statutes and found nothing there regulating open carry, my guess is that the local cops will accuse you of "creating a public disturbance" or something similar. You might try asking the local police chief rather than asking here. Only the most psychic forum members would be able to predict what would happen while the chief will flat out tell you.

Lunie

imported post

Thanks for the replies guys.

However, the carry of long guns is not a welcome topic here apparently, and my apologies for not noticing this before.

11) This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. Do not start OFF TOPIC threads or discussions such aspromoting the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the folks on this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

Not to be to cynical or sarcastic, but the name of the website could have fooled me.

So, can we forget I brought it up?

Misplaced Texan

imported post

Lunie wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys.

However, the carry of long guns is not a welcome topic here apparently, and my apologies for not noticing this before.

11) This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. Do not start OFF TOPIC threads or discussions such aspromoting the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the folks on this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

Not to be to cynical or sarcastic, but the name of the website could have fooled me.

So, can we forget I brought it up?

Lunie,

Rolla has their Municipal Codes online. (CHAPTER 41 -- Weapons)

Article1section23

imported post

I think we won't have a chance in hell to get the new preemption passed if somebody does this.Also, the USSC has already ruled that rifles and shotguns can be prohibited, if handguns can be carried. Sorry, I don't have the case..Pennsylvania vs..?.

No Lunie, we can't forget your brought this up. lol. Asking questions doesn't do any harm...it might even keep you out of jail.

Justin

imported post

There is nothing against the law about it in Rolla, evendone it once or twice (not up pine street at noon or anything mind you), but having to park at odd places and walk a block or two withone slung over my shoulder never raised so much as an eyebrow.

How cops would take it? Don't know. If you do try this, be SURE it is properly slung over the shoulder or across the back, not at the low ready or in your hands. Those are offensive positions that will cause you chances of getting shot to go sky high in a populated setting.

Just stop at 11th and Pine and ask after a Friday Burrito, you're already there practically. You'll probably get a "it's legal, but don't be surprised if you get stopped by some very nervous police". Pistol wise it's "it's legal, don't be surprised if you get approached, and be sure you're not doing anything else to get yourself detained" I ID'd myself as a student, so the advice was mainly a "don't be drinking".

Personally, if I see someone walking down the street with a holsteredpistol I see "smart guy being prepared", rifle i think "this guy has serious business to attend to, GTFA"

Be smart, be prudent.

Lunie

imported post

Doubt I would ever try, I was just wondering. I have never carried in public PERIOD, unless you count in gun-cases, or bringing them in to the house from the truck.

I was surprised that my neighbors in Springfield never freaked out when I carried my rifles(in hard cases, I should add) to and from the truck when I made trips home on weekends.