Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: School Photo

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    202

    Post imported post

    Heard this story last night and it just had me thinking... there are a lot of uneducated people out there and there are a lot of anti gun individuals... the 2nd ammendment kept popping up in my mind...

    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9550663


    St. George parents concerned over football team photos
    February 2nd, 2010 @ 10:03pm
    ST. GEORGE -- Some parents don't like what they're seeing on a high school football team poster in St. George.
    The photo, which was taken last August, features members of the Desert Hills High School team standing and sitting around military Humvees. Even with a brief glance, it's hard to miss the semiautomatic weapons held by the captains of the team.
    Parent Carrie Leishman was shocked by the photos, in part, she says, because the teens aren't yet old enough to buy the guns.


    15-year-old Tucker Thayer was killed in 2008 when he accidentally shot himself with a gun that was to be used as a prop in the school play
    "Normally if those kids brought those to school, they'd be expelled from school. Yet their advisers, their football coaches, are telling them it's OK to hold the guns, to wave the guys, to have Rambo poses with the guns," she said
    Leishman is also concerned because of 15-year-old Tucker Thaye, a student who went to the same school and died there in 2008. He was accidentally shot and killed by a gun being used as a prop during the school musical.
    "We need to do everything we can do to avoid an accident in the future," Leishman said.


    School Principal Ray Brooks said no harm was meant by the football team's photos, which were not taken on school grounds. He said the seniors just wanted to take a memorable picture -- one they've seen similar versions of in other schools.
    "If there are some that have taken offense to that, we feel bad because that was certainly not the intent of the young men involved," Brooks said.
    Meanwhile, the school district administrators say they're just learning of the posters and are now investigating.
    "Sometimes these things are much to do about not much, and sometimes they have substantive issues to deal with it," said Washington County School District Superintendent Max Rose.
    Leishman said she's not blaming the teens in the pictures, nor does she think they are bad kids. Instead, she said she takes issue with the message she feels is being conveyed with the pictures.
    ------
    Story compiled with contributions from Sarah Dallof and Marc Giauque.

  2. #2
    Regular Member thx997303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,716

    Post imported post

    Who's the retarded moron who used a REAL firearm as a PROP for a PLAY?

    Whoever allowed such a thing should be shot.........

    With realistic looking AIRSOFT guns so easy to get and so cheap.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sandy, Utah, USA
    Posts
    215

    Post imported post

    bmeldrum wrote:
    Cool Photo I am for young man holding and taking photos with guns, in a year or 2 they can be in Iraq shooting and killing bad guys, so what is the big deal?
    The fear of guns is real and those Liberal teachers can thank their Liberal Hollywood Movie makers for demonizing guns!
    As for the kid with a real gun with access to it, why was he not following the #1 rule?
    ALWAYS Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction! and he would be alive today. Maybe he wanted the gun to be in an unsafe direction?
    Utah Certified Concealed Firearms Permit Instructor
    NRA Pistol Instructor & RSO

    Lover of Freedom

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Firestone, Colorado
    Posts
    1,189

    Post imported post

    bmeldrum wrote:
    Parent Carrie Leishman was shocked by the photos, in part, she says, because the teens aren't yet old enough to buy the guns.
    Besides all of the rest, she's factually wrong on this point. You can buy a rifle from a licensed dealer at age 18, and it's very likely that at least some of these high school seniors are 18.

    Not that whether or not they're old enough to buy the guns is in any way relevant, but I find it funny that her stated reason for being shocked is both irrelevant and simply incorrect.

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    thx997303 wrote:
    SNIP
    Glad to see you back. Its been a little quiet around here. Also, very little zombie action. :P
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  6. #6
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    Citizen wrote:
    thx997303 wrote:
    SNIP
    Glad to see you back. Its been a little quiet around here. Also, very little zombie action. :P
    Trying to get a good buffer on LEO? :P I think I found a photo of you, Citizen.


    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  7. #7
    Regular Member thx997303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,716

    Post imported post

    Aw man, but I told SGT Jensen I wouldn't bring the zombies back up



  8. #8
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    SGT Jensen wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    Glad to see you back. Its been a little quiet around here....
    Trying to get a good buffer on LEO? :P I think I found a photo of you, Citizen.





    You nailed it. Actually, the Doug Huffmans were catching up to Citizen. They were within striking range. But they've kind of quit lately. Grapeshot is a coming on, though. He might make a move at Citizen, who is, undeniably, OCDO Poster #1.

  9. #9
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    Are you adding Mr. Huffman's counts together? I thought he was trying to avoid the ***** label.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  10. #10
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    Gonna fluff my count a little as well, and go back to the topic.

    As a soldier, former high school student, and "evil black rifle" owner, I see no problem with the photo. :P
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Payson, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,146

    Post imported post

    Sgt. Jensen, we need to hang out! The zombies are thick around my parts, and I would really like a teammate! Plus I need to sight in my .17 HMR

  12. #12
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    SGT Jensen wrote:
    Are you adding Mr. Huffman's counts together? I thought he was trying to avoid the ***** label.
    Well, Doug Huffman has 6,955 posts.



    And Master Doug Huffman has 761 posts.

    I think it's fair to give them credit for being the same guy. They sure look similar....

  13. #13
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    They sure look similar....
    HA! That reminds me of some billboards I've seen here lately. You think Doug has anything to do with this??


    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    SGT Jensen wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    thx997303 wrote:
    SNIP
    Glad to see you back. Its been a little quiet around here. Also, very little zombie action. :P
    Trying to get a good buffer on LEO? :P I think I found a photo of you, Citizen. SNIP [pic]
    Ouch! :P
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Grantsville, Utah, USA
    Posts
    124

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    SGT Jensen wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    Glad to see you back. Its been a little quiet around here....
    Trying to get a good buffer on LEO? :P I think I found a photo of you, Citizen.





    You nailed it. Actually, the Doug Huffmans were catching up to Citizen. They were within striking range. But they've kind of quit lately. Grapeshot is a coming on, though. He might make a move at Citizen, who is, undeniably, OCDO Poster #1.
    If women dont find ya handsom, they should at least find ya handy. (RED GREEN SHOW)

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    I am Carrie Leishman, the one on the KSL story. I just wanted to set the record straight. I said in my interview atleast 3 times I totally believe in the right to bear arms, love the military and all that stands for, have a gun cabinet (locked) full of rifles at home but felt that if these kids arent old enough to buy the bullets to go in the guns, they shouldnt be photographed with them. I asked for them to PLEASE include that in the story but they are the media...they like controversy so they didnt.

    Its the same to me as taking a picture with a keg and a pack of smokes...completely fine for people OF AGE, but not fine for 17 year olds.

    We had the tragedy in 2008 at that school, and no, he did not kill himself, he was simply a curious boy that was messing around with his friends like any kid would and didnt understant the repercussions of a blank in a real hand gun. There should have never been a real hand gun allowed to be used in the play...ever.

    My children are avid hunters, my entire extended family are avid huntersand have a deep respect for guns because they have been taught that their whole lives. I just felt with the district being sued over the death in 2008 they maybe would have wanted to stay away from any message advocating children and guns.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sandy, Utah, USA
    Posts
    215

    Post imported post

    How about a 12 year old behind the steering wheel of a park car, what is the problem with that photo, infact it is cute when you see a kid or even a dog behind the steering wheel is fun to see. 17 yo with a gun is the same thing!

    A young child with a "real firearm" is not a problem if they are trained and know how to handle a firearm. Maybe if School teachers and parents were not so fearful of guns, people like myself could go to a school and volunteer and teach the kids about gun safety? :celebrate

    If anything the photo of the team shows how to correctly handle a firearm.
    Utah Certified Concealed Firearms Permit Instructor
    NRA Pistol Instructor & RSO

    Lover of Freedom

  18. #18
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    carrieleishman wrote:
    Its the same to me as taking a picture with a keg and a pack of smokes...completely fine for people OF AGE, but not fine for 17 year olds.
    First of all, welcome to opencarry.org. :celebrate

    I am going to disagree with you on your statement quoted above, and here's why.

    There are laws prohibiting 17 year old kids from possessing tobacco and alcohol, and there are laws prohibiting 17 year old kids from possessing dangerous weapons. The difference is that the dangerous weapons law has exemptions. It is lawful for kids to possess dangerous weapons under certain conditions. Whether these conditions were met for the photo is a different story altogether.

    Were some of the kids in the photo 17 or younger? Maybe...
    Did the underage kids have permission from a parent or guardian to possess the firearms? Maybe...
    Were some of the kids in the photo 18, and law abiding? Maybe...
    Were some of the kids in the photo practicing unsafe firearm handling? Doesn't appear so. I see lots of trigger finger discipline, and muzzle awareness. I believe that this photo is promoting safe handling techniques, while at the same time sending the message that guns are not the evil devices that that some try to make them out to be.

    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    Respectfully, you're missing the point. If students are caught with a fake gun, squirt gun, leatherman, ect. according to district policy, they are to be expelled for a year! Why then is it ok to have a photo of the H.S. football team holding weapons they would be expelled for having? I am simply outraged that the right hand, meaning the administration of the school, and the left hand, meaning the school board that makes the policies are not talking to each other.

    I e-mailed the school board and principal first and they all said they knew nothing about the photo and if they had, it wouldnt have been allowed to bear the DHHS name.

    Some are saying I am "uneducated" because "some" of the students are 18 in the picture...that's beside the point, they are still STUDENTS of a school with a zero tolerance for any type of weapon, real or fake.

    My children are not scared of guns, neither am I, I was raised that way. I just think the double standard because its the FOOTBALL TEAM instead of the DRAMA TEAM no one seems to care that it is directly against school policy. 2 weeks prior to the young man's death, he had taken home the prop gun to see if he could repair it and when he brought it back to school, someone saw him with a "gun" and the whole school was put into lockdown and him in cuffs in the back of a squad car. He apparently couudnt get it fixed, hence them using a real 38 caliber with blanks.

    I want a policy change, not a outlaw of guns...no one believes in the 2nd ammendment more than my family and appreciates the sacrifice of the military and their families to protect our right to bear those arms. I think KSL just wanted a good ol' controversy.

    P.S. I didnt even know it was going to be on KSL, I did the interview for our little local news channel and they did a bit of a better job not spinning me as a anti gun, anti military scared little housewife.

    For those that said I need to get a hobby, I have one....it's called working a full time job and raising 4 teenage boys who love to hunt, fish and be in the outdoors...I am a Southern Utah girl afterall...which means I enjoy those things as well.

    People need to realize that news stations edit about 90% of what was actually said, and attacking my husband, and children is childish.

    Bottom line, if they say no weapons at school....what goes for one should go for all.

  20. #20
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    carrieleishman wrote:
    Respectfully, you're missing the point. If students are caught with a fake gun, squirt gun, leatherman, ect. according to district policy, they are to be expelled for a year! Why then is it ok to have a photo of the H.S. football team holding weapons they would be expelled for having?
    ...
    Bottom line, if they say no weapons at school....what goes for one should go for all.
    Respectfully, you are missing the point as well. This photo was not taken in a school zone, and none of these kids were in possession of these weapons in a school zone. Carrie, you said that your children hunt, I am assuming with firearms. Should they be expelled from school if they were in possession of a dangerous weapon in your home, while wearing a hat or shirt bearing the name of your kids high school?

    Point two. You mentioned a zero tolerance district policy for students in possession of dangerous weapons. This is all fine and dandy, and the school may make that policy if they wish. However, they may not regulate what students do in their free time, off school property, and the certainly may not regulate firearms that are not brought onto school property.

    53-5a-102. Uniform firearm laws.
    (1) The individual right to keep and bear arms being a constitutionally protected right under Article I, Section 6 of the Utah Constitution, the Legislature finds the need to provide uniform civil and criminal firearm laws throughout the state.
    (2) Except as specifically provided by state law, a local authority or state entity may not:
    (a) prohibit an individual from owning, possessing, purchasing, selling, transferring, transporting, or keeping a firearm at the individual's place of residence, property, business, or in any vehicle lawfully in the individual's possession or lawfully under the individual's control; or
    (b) require an individual to have a permit or license to purchase, own, possess, transport, or keep a firearm.
    (3) In conjunction with Title 76, Chapter 10, Part 5, Weapons, this section is uniformly applicable throughout this state and in all its political subdivisions and municipalities.
    (4) All authority to regulate firearms is reserved to the state except where the Legislature specifically delegates responsibility to local authorities or state entities.
    (5) Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact, establish, or enforce any ordinance, regulation, rule, or policy pertaining to firearms that in any way inhibits or restricts the possession or use of firearms on either public or private property.
    (6) As used in this section:
    (a) "firearm" has the same meaning as defined in Subsection 76-10-501(9); and
    (b) "local authority or state entity" includes public school districts, public schools, and state institutions of higher education.
    (7) Nothing in this section restricts or expands private property rights.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Payson, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,146

    Post imported post

    SGT Jensen wrote:
    carrieleishman wrote:
    Its the same to me as taking a picture with a keg and a pack of smokes...completely fine for people OF AGE, but not fine for 17 year olds.
    First of all, welcome to opencarry.org. :celebrate

    I am going to disagree with you on your statement quoted above, and here's why.

    There are laws prohibiting 17 year old kids from possessing tobacco and alcohol, and there are laws prohibiting 17 year old kids from possessing dangerous weapons. The difference is that the dangerous weapons law has exemptions. It is lawful for kids to possess dangerous weapons under certain conditions. Whether these conditions were met for the photo is a different story altogether.

    Were some of the kids in the photo 17 or younger? Maybe...
    Did the underage kids have permission from a parent or guardian to possess the firearms? Maybe...
    Were some of the kids in the photo 18, and law abiding? Maybe...
    Were some of the kids in the photo practicing unsafe firearm handling? Doesn't appear so. I see lots of trigger finger discipline, and muzzle awareness. I believe that this photo is promoting safe handling techniques, while at the same time sending the message that guns are not the evil devices that that some try to make them out to be.
    ANDDDDDD Kegs are illegal in Utah!! :P

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    West Jordan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    65

    Post imported post

    carrieleishman wrote:
    Respectfully, you're missing the point. If students are caught with a fake gun, squirt gun, leatherman, ect. according to district policy, they are to be expelled for a year! Why then is it ok to have a photo of the H.S. football team holding weapons they would be expelled for having?
    I always found it interesting that in Utah our schools technically could adopt Zero Tolerance polices for fake guns but they are not allowed to make those policies regarding real guns.

    "I'm sorry Johhny, that's a fake gun. You are hereby expelled. Next time bring a real one"

    :celebrate

    Mam. I respect your right to voice your opinion though I think the point most of us on here is making is that we regard firearms as tools and inanimate objects because that is what they are. Baseball bats may cause more deaths a year than firearms but would you object to the baseball team having them in their photo? The players appeared to have treated the firearms with respect. I see no fingers on the trigger and the muzzles pointed in a safe direction.

    You ask why is it okay to have the football team take a photo with weapons they would be expelled for having. Our point is that they can not be (nor should be) because the school is legally barred from making any rule or policy regarding firearms that the state has not specifically made. I'm aware of no law the legislature has passed regarding the expulsion of high school students with regards to firearms.

    Additionally, in our society some of these boys, if they're 18, may also be allowed to carry, per Utah law, everywhere else but K-12 schools. Concealed or Open.

    In conclusion I think it's a pretty cool photo.


  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    Thanks for your thoughts...one thing you should know: Two weeks before the death of the student involving the REAL hand gun used as a prop in a play, THAT SAME STUDENT took home a prop gun to try to make adequate repairs on it for the play. As he brought it back on to school property, someone saw the gun, reported it as "Someone on school grounds with a gun", the school was put into FULL LOCKDOWN(which I applaude), however he...the student with the prop gun was cuffed and hauled off in a squad car until the thing was sorted out.

    So, to your point that schools "can't"expell students for bringing guns to school, let me tell you they do, and I am glad for it! I don't want any kid bringing a weapon of any type to school. It makes NO SENSE. You have to be of age to bear arms, I understand someof the boys were 18 but if we're going to have a school policy, lets have one!My OWN boys own rifles and hunt, but are they allowed to haul them to school? NO WAY!!! My son who is a senior can't even take his leatherman to school because it is considered a "weapon", and if he was caught with it, he would be expelled.

    I can see you're 51, at some point I imagine you had kids in school, maybe not,I dont know. Maybe you have grandkids? Would you feel better knowing weapons arent allowed at school or would it be ok because a select group of kids showed "control" over weapons they arent even allowed in regular society to own because of their age ina photo?

    All Iam trying to say is GUNS+SCHOOL= TROUBLE. That's it. No, I am not a democrat, yes I am a republican conservative, I just saw a double standard and said something about it and have caught alot of hell for it, which is fine because I am a big girl, I can take it.

    Thanks for your comments.



  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    West Jordan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    65

    Post imported post

    carrieleishman wrote:
    Thanks for your thoughts...one thing you should know: Two weeks before the death of the student involving the REAL hand gun used as a prop in a play, THAT SAME STUDENT took home a prop gun to try to make adequate repairs on it for the play. As he brought it back on to school property, someone saw the gun, reported it as "Someone on school grounds with a gun", the school was put into FULL LOCKDOWN(which I applaude), however he...the student with the prop gun was cuffed and hauled off in a squad car until the thing was sorted out.

    So, to your point that schools "can't"expell students for bringing guns to school, let me tell you they do, and I am glad for it! I don't want any kid bringing a weapon of any type to school. It makes NO SENSE. You have to be of age to bear arms, I understand someof the boys were 18 but if we're going to have a school policy, lets have one!My OWN boys own rifles and hunt, but are they allowed to haul them to school? NO WAY!!! My son who is a senior can't even take his leatherman to school because it is considered a "weapon", and if he was caught with it, he would be expelled.
    I think you were looking at my post count . I am not 51 and I haven't had kids. Reason being is because I'm 20. I purchased my first firearm at 19 when I got married.

    I'm sure the school doesexpell a student for breaking the law and such a law we could debate whether they should be expelled or not. Though I don't think that is the purpose of this discussion.

    However, lets throw out the Federal GFSZA for a moment.

    (I think we safelycan for this hypothetical scenario because it was more or less overturned already when Lopez had brought a firearm to school with intent to hand it over to another individual who hadintentions to use it in a gang war. The supreme court still overturned it. No Federal prosecuter in their right mind would likely prosecute someone, with no criminalhistory, bringing a firearm for lawful use.)

    So we throw out the Federal GFSZA and are left with just the Utah one which all permit carriers are exempt from. Even if that permit comes from another state. So in our hypothetical scenario where the Federal GFSZA doesn't apply it's possible for a senior in High school to openly carry a loaded firearm to all his classes. The school's response. Well they would probably freak out but can they expel him? In another state yeah probably. In ours.... no. State Law prohibits public schools from enacting any rule, policy, regulation, law, etc that forbids the possession of firearms. If the school decided to expel the student for an alternate bogus reason then I suppose they could do that. However it would be the SCHOOL and not the student breaking the law at that point.



    So with that hypothetical situation out of the way let me answer your other questions. Maybe it will help to hear the viewpoint from someone who was recently in high school. Or maybe now knowing my age you can toss my comments away as someone who has not lived long enough
    Would you feel better knowing weapons arent allowed at school or would it be ok because a select group of kids showed "control" over weapons they arent even allowed in regular society to own because of their age ina photo?

    This seems like more of a two part question rather than an either/or. Would I feel better knowing weapon's aren't allowed at school? Absolutely Not. I lived through what I like to tell people is the age of school shootings. These are schools where firearm's "aren't allowed" and maybe that sentiment works and the shooters just missed the memo. Personally while I was in school, and god forbid one of my fellow students decided he wanted to take a few of us with him, when the bullets started flying I wanted my teacher and others armed. Because the sad truth is once a disturbed individual decides to commit, what I consider, the most heinous law you can break a policy or lower felony about the tool he's going to use isn't going to stop him. Worst still there is nothing any of us can do to prevent it. Minimize the risks? Maybe. Lower the death toll by letting responsible people carry? Absolutely.

    As for the second part you stated. How old were these kids. These are rifles yes? They ARE allowed to own them in regular society. Atleast Utah society, assuming their parents/guardians have knowledge of the possession. You only have to be atleast 18 to possess a handgun. All other kinds can be possessed, without supervision, much younger than that. As young as 14.
    All Iam trying to say is GUNS+SCHOOL= TROUBLE.
    No...Guns + Disturbed Individuals +Disarmed Victims = Trouble,Date Rape Drugs + DisturbedIndivdual + Disarmed TeenageGirl = Trouble

    Really the equation is <Anything>+Disturbed Individual+ Victim unable to fight back = Trouble.

    Tools are tools are tools. AFirearm ina school without an operator will do nothing. It will sit there all day. It will sit there for decades without doing anything untilsomeone picks it up. What's important is who picks it up not where they are. Maybe more importantly isthat people don'tsuddenly change who they are when they cross an invisible line called a school zone. You stated your sons use firearms. I assume you probably taught them well and responsibly. Do you have reason to believe that your son would shoot andkill another person simply because they are at school and not at home? If so why do you think that? Why do you think the other kids your sons hang out with want to murder your kids? Why do you think the teachers may murder your kids? If you think they might why do you entrust your kids to their care? Scissors can also be used to kill fairly effectively and there is likely several in every classroom. Is there reason to believe someone on their way to commit a felony (or several) would obey a misdeamenor or school rule?

    Finally, something a little closer to my heart, how do you feel about the draft?Some of these boys are18 andthe others will be shortly. My first birthday present on my 18th birthday was my draft number. Didn't even need to go down and register, they had the system down slick enough it arrived in my mailbox day of. At any point at the request of my government I could be forced, under penalty of law, to use weapons much more powerful than displayed in the picture against another human being who had not threatened me personally in anyway. Yet here at home in "regular society" that same government said I could get married, have a family, but could not purchase a firearm from a Federally licensed dealer in order to protect them. They expect me to fight for them if neeededbut deny me the tools to fight for myself. Talk about a double standard.

    Thank God for the State of Maine (that issues permits at 18) and for private party sales.

  25. #25
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    Nuttycomputer wrote:
    I'm aware of no law the legislature has passed regarding the expulsion of high school students with regards to firearms.
    While it does not specifically mention firearms, there is this one.

    From what I read in the rest of the section, I don't believe this applies to post secondary institutions.

    53A-11-904. Grounds for suspension or expulsion from a public school.
    (1) A student may be suspended or expelled from a public school for any of the following reasons:
    (a) frequent or flagrant willful disobedience, defiance of proper authority, or disruptive behavior, including the use of foul, profane, vulgar, or abusive language;
    (b) willful destruction or defacing of school property;
    (c) behavior or threatened behavior which poses an immediate and significant threat to the welfare, safety, or morals of other students or school personnel or to the operation of the school;
    (d) possession, control, or use of an alcoholic beverage as defined in Section 32A-1-105;
    (e) behavior proscribed under Subsection (2) which threatens harm or does harm to the school or school property, to a person associated with the school, or property associated with that person, regardless of where it occurs; or
    (f) possession or use of pornographic material on school property.
    (2) (a) A student shall be suspended or expelled from a public school for any of the following reasons:
    (i) any serious violation affecting another student or a staff member, or any serious violation occurring in a school building, in or on school property, or in conjunction with any school activity, including:
    (A) the possession, control, or actual or threatened use of a real weapon, explosive, or noxious or flammable material;
    (B) the actual or threatened use of a look alike weapon with intent to intimidate another person or to disrupt normal school activities; or
    (C) the sale, control, or distribution of a drug or controlled substance as defined in Section 58-37-2, an imitation controlled substance defined in Section 58-37b-2, or drug paraphernalia as defined in Section 58-37a-3; or
    (ii) the commission of an act involving the use of force or the threatened use of force which if committed by an adult would be a felony or class A misdemeanor.
    (b) A student who commits a violation of Subsection (2)(a) involving a real or look alike weapon, explosive, or flammable material shall be expelled from school for a period of not less than one year subject to the following:
    (i) within 45 days after the expulsion the student shall appear before the student's local school board superintendent, the superintendent's designee, chief administrative officer of a charter school, or the chief administrative officer's designee, accompanied by a parent or legal guardian; and
    (ii) the superintendent, chief administrator, or designee shall determine:
    (A) what conditions must be met by the student and the student's parent for the student to return to school;
    (B) if the student should be placed on probation in a regular or alternative school setting consistent with Section 53A-11-907, and what conditions must be met by the student in order to ensure the safety of students and faculty at the school the student is placed in; and
    (C) if it would be in the best interest of both the school district or charter school, and the student, to modify the expulsion term to less than a year, conditioned on approval by the local school board or governing board of a charter school and giving highest priority to providing a safe school environment for all students.
    (3) A student may be denied admission to a public school on the basis of having been expelled from that or any other school during the preceding 12 months.
    (4) A suspension or expulsion under this section is not subject to the age limitations under Subsection 53A-11-102(1).
    (5) Each local school board and governing board of a charter school shall prepare an annual report for the State Board of Education on:
    (a) each violation committed under this section; and
    (b) each action taken by the school district against a student who committed the violation.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •