• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School Photo

bmeldrum

imported post

Heard this story last night and it just had me thinking... there are a lot of uneducated people out there and there are a lot of anti gun individuals... the 2nd ammendment kept popping up in my mind...

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9550663

St. George parents concerned over football team photos
February 2nd, 2010 @ 10:03pm
ST. GEORGE -- Some parents don't like what they're seeing on a high school football team poster in St. George.
The photo, which was taken last August, features members of the Desert Hills High School team standing and sitting around military Humvees. Even with a brief glance, it's hard to miss the semiautomatic weapons held by the captains of the team.
Parent Carrie Leishman was shocked by the photos, in part, she says, because the teens aren't yet old enough to buy the guns.

15-year-old Tucker Thayer was killed in 2008 when he accidentally shot himself with a gun that was to be used as a prop in the school play
"Normally if those kids brought those to school, they'd be expelled from school. Yet their advisers, their football coaches, are telling them it's OK to hold the guns, to wave the guys, to have Rambo poses with the guns," she said
Leishman is also concerned because of 15-year-old Tucker Thaye, a student who went to the same school and died there in 2008. He was accidentally shot and killed by a gun being used as a prop during the school musical.
"We need to do everything we can do to avoid an accident in the future," Leishman said.

School Principal Ray Brooks said no harm was meant by the football team's photos, which were not taken on school grounds. He said the seniors just wanted to take a memorable picture -- one they've seen similar versions of in other schools.
"If there are some that have taken offense to that, we feel bad because that was certainly not the intent of the young men involved," Brooks said.
Meanwhile, the school district administrators say they're just learning of the posters and are now investigating.
"Sometimes these things are much to do about not much, and sometimes they have substantive issues to deal with it," said Washington County School District Superintendent Max Rose.
Leishman said she's not blaming the teens in the pictures, nor does she think they are bad kids. Instead, she said she takes issue with the message she feels is being conveyed with the pictures.
------
Story compiled with contributions from Sarah Dallof and Marc Giauque.

thx997303

imported post

Who's the retarded moron who used a REAL firearm as a PROP for a PLAY?

Whoever allowed such a thing should be shot.........

With realistic looking AIRSOFT guns so easy to get and so cheap. :banghead:

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
Cool Photo I am for young man holding and taking photos with guns, in a year or 2 they can be in Iraq shooting and killing bad guys, so what is the big deal?
The fear of guns is real and those Liberal teachers can thank their Liberal Hollywood Movie makers for demonizing guns!
As for the kid with a real gun with access to it, why was he not following the #1 rule?
ALWAYS Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction! and he would be alive today. Maybe he wanted the gun to be in an unsafe direction?

swillden

imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
Parent Carrie Leishman was shocked by the photos, in part, she says, because the teens aren't yet old enough to buy the guns.
Besides all of the rest, she's factually wrong on this point. You can buy a rifle from a licensed dealer at age 18, and it's very likely that at least some of these high school seniors are 18.

Not that whether or not they're old enough to buy the guns is in any way relevant, but I find it funny that her stated reason for being shocked is both irrelevant and simply incorrect.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Citizen wrote:
thx997303 wrote:
Glad to see you back. Its been a little quiet around here. Also, very little zombie action. :):p
Trying to get a good buffer on LEO? :p I think I found a photo of you, Citizen. :lol:

postwhore.jpg

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Glad to see you back. Its been a little quiet around here....
Trying to get a good buffer on LEO? :p I think I found a photo of you, Citizen. :lol:

postwhore.jpg

24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif

You nailed it. Actually, the Doug Huffmans were catching up to Citizen. They were within striking range. But they've kind of quit lately. Grapeshot is a coming on, though. He might make a move at Citizen, who is, undeniably, OCDO Poster #1.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Gonna fluff my count a little as well, and go back to the topic.

As a soldier, former high school student, and "evil black rifle" owner, I see no problem with the photo. :p

b1ack5mith

imported post

Sgt. Jensen, we need to hang out! The zombies are thick around my parts, and I would really like a teammate! Plus I need to sight in my .17 HMR ;)

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Are you adding Mr. Huffman's counts together? I thought he was trying to avoid the whore label. ;)

Well, Doug Huffman
142.jpg
has 6,955 posts.

And Master Doug Huffman
33809.jpg
has 761 posts.

I think it's fair to give them credit for being the same guy. They sure look similar....

kdt1970

imported post

HankT wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Glad to see you back. Its been a little quiet around here....

postwhore.jpg

24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif

You nailed it. Actually, the Doug Huffmans were catching up to Citizen. They were within striking range. But they've kind of quit lately. Grapeshot is a coming on, though. He might make a move at Citizen, who is, undeniably, OCDO Poster #1.
If women dont find ya handsom, they should at least find ya handy. (RED GREEN SHOW)

carrieleishman

imported post

I am Carrie Leishman, the one on the KSL story. I just wanted to set the record straight. I said in my interview atleast 3 times I totally believe in the right to bear arms, love the military and all that stands for, have a gun cabinet (locked) full of rifles at home but felt that if these kids arent old enough to buy the bullets to go in the guns, they shouldnt be photographed with them. I asked for them to PLEASE include that in the story but they are the media...they like controversy so they didnt.

Its the same to me as taking a picture with a keg and a pack of smokes...completely fine for people OF AGE, but not fine for 17 year olds.

We had the tragedy in 2008 at that school, and no, he did not kill himself, he was simply a curious boy that was messing around with his friends like any kid would and didnt understant the repercussions of a blank in a real hand gun. There should have never been a real hand gun allowed to be used in the play...ever.

My children are avid hunters, my entire extended family are avid huntersand have a deep respect for guns because they have been taught that their whole lives. I just felt with the district being sued over the death in 2008 they maybe would have wanted to stay away from any message advocating children and guns.

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

How about a 12 year old behind the steering wheel of a park car, what is the problem with that photo, infact it is cute when you see a kid or even a dog behind the steering wheel is fun to see. 17 yo with a gun is the same thing!

A young child with a "real firearm" is not a problem if they are trained and know how to handle a firearm. Maybe if School teachers and parents were not so fearful of guns, people like myself could go to a school and volunteer and teach the kids about gun safety? :celebrate

If anything the photo of the team shows how to correctly handle a firearm.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

carrieleishman wrote:
Its the same to me as taking a picture with a keg and a pack of smokes...completely fine for people OF AGE, but not fine for 17 year olds.
First of all, welcome to opencarry.org. :celebrate

I am going to disagree with you on your statement quoted above, and here's why.

There are laws prohibiting 17 year old kids from possessing tobacco and alcohol, and there are laws prohibiting 17 year old kids from possessing dangerous weapons. The difference is that the dangerous weapons law has exemptions. It is lawful for kids to possess dangerous weapons under certain conditions. Whether these conditions were met for the photo is a different story altogether.

Were some of the kids in the photo 17 or younger? Maybe...
Did the underage kids have permission from a parent or guardian to possess the firearms? Maybe...
Were some of the kids in the photo 18, and law abiding? Maybe...
Were some of the kids in the photo practicing unsafe firearm handling? Doesn't appear so. I see lots of trigger finger discipline, and muzzle awareness. I believe that this photo is promoting safe handling techniques, while at the same time sending the message that guns are not the evil devices that that some try to make them out to be.

carrieleishman

imported post

Respectfully, you're missing the point. If students are caught with a fake gun, squirt gun, leatherman, ect. according to district policy, they are to be expelled for a year! Why then is it ok to have a photo of the H.S. football team holding weapons they would be expelled for having? I am simply outraged that the right hand, meaning the administration of the school, and the left hand, meaning the school board that makes the policies are not talking to each other.

I e-mailed the school board and principal first and they all said they knew nothing about the photo and if they had, it wouldnt have been allowed to bear the DHHS name.

Some are saying I am "uneducated" because "some" of the students are 18 in the picture...that's beside the point, they are still STUDENTS of a school with a zero tolerance for any type of weapon, real or fake.

My children are not scared of guns, neither am I, I was raised that way. I just think the double standard because its the FOOTBALL TEAM instead of the DRAMA TEAM no one seems to care that it is directly against school policy. 2 weeks prior to the young man's death, he had taken home the prop gun to see if he could repair it and when he brought it back to school, someone saw him with a "gun" and the whole school was put into lockdown and him in cuffs in the back of a squad car. He apparently couudnt get it fixed, hence them using a real 38 caliber with blanks.

I want a policy change, not a outlaw of guns...no one believes in the 2nd ammendment more than my family and appreciates the sacrifice of the military and their families to protect our right to bear those arms. I think KSL just wanted a good ol' controversy.

P.S. I didnt even know it was going to be on KSL, I did the interview for our little local news channel and they did a bit of a better job not spinning me as a anti gun, anti military scared little housewife.

For those that said I need to get a hobby, I have one....it's called working a full time job and raising 4 teenage boys who love to hunt, fish and be in the outdoors...I am a Southern Utah girl afterall...which means I enjoy those things as well.

People need to realize that news stations edit about 90% of what was actually said, and attacking my husband, and children is childish.

Bottom line, if they say no weapons at school....what goes for one should go for all.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

carrieleishman wrote:
Respectfully, you're missing the point. If students are caught with a fake gun, squirt gun, leatherman, ect. according to district policy, they are to be expelled for a year! Why then is it ok to have a photo of the H.S. football team holding weapons they would be expelled for having?
Bottom line, if they say no weapons at school....what goes for one should go for all.
Respectfully, you are missing the point as well. This photo was not taken in a school zone, and none of these kids were in possession of these weapons in a school zone. Carrie, you said that your children hunt, I am assuming with firearms. Should they be expelled from school if they were in possession of a dangerous weapon in your home, while wearing a hat or shirt bearing the name of your kids high school?

Point two. You mentioned a zero tolerance district policy for students in possession of dangerous weapons. This is all fine and dandy, and the school may make that policy if they wish. However, they may not regulate what students do in their free time, off school property, and the certainly may not regulate firearms that are not brought onto school property.

53-5a-102. Uniform firearm laws.
(1) The individual right to keep and bear arms being a constitutionally protected right under Article I, Section 6 of the Utah Constitution, the Legislature finds the need to provide uniform civil and criminal firearm laws throughout the state.
(2) Except as specifically provided by state law, a local authority or state entity may not:
(a) prohibit an individual from owning, possessing, purchasing, selling, transferring, transporting, or keeping a firearm at the individual's place of residence, property, business, or in any vehicle lawfully in the individual's possession or lawfully under the individual's control; or
(b) require an individual to have a permit or license to purchase, own, possess, transport, or keep a firearm.
(3) In conjunction with Title 76, Chapter 10, Part 5, Weapons, this section is uniformly applicable throughout this state and in all its political subdivisions and municipalities.
(4) All authority to regulate firearms is reserved to the state except where the Legislature specifically delegates responsibility to local authorities or state entities.
(5) Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact, establish, or enforce any ordinance, regulation, rule, or policy pertaining to firearms that in any way inhibits or restricts the possession or use of firearms on either public or private property.
(6) As used in this section:
(a) "firearm" has the same meaning as defined in Subsection 76-10-501(9); and
(b) "local authority or state entity" includes public school districts, public schools, and state institutions of higher education.
(7) Nothing in this section restricts or expands private property rights.