• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Overwhelmed by the Pittsburgh Police

Falcon118

Turtle Creek (outside of Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania
imported post

Cross post from PAFOA

Details will be minimal but here is what happened in a nutshell.

I was at the valet entrance to Allegheney General Hospital to pick up my step mother. Apparently while helping her to the car, someone saw my holstered GLOCK 21. As I left the hospital and proceeded down the street, I was pulled over by 5 PGH Police cars. I was removed from the car, disarmed, and berated with questions about my handgun being "registered" as I just purchased it and apparently they could not find it in whatever "Database" they were looking in. I tried to advise the officers of the fact that there is NO REGISTRATION in PA, they just ignored me and reiterated their opinion as fact. My firearm was returned.

I am in the process of writing a letter to the Chief of Police and considering my options. Further updates will be provided as the situation develops.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
For starters, sounds like an unlawful seizure (the traffic stop) - reasonable articulable suspicion of . . . what?
Helping little old ladies at the hospital without a license. Also, she could have been a Ma Barker-type, and he one of her sons or gunsels.

Sig229

imported post

I have a lot of respect for officers in the LEO community.

But I am going to be very honest here.

it seems like after the G-20 summit was held here in Pittsburgh, the local Police are completely out of control.

During the G-20 summit they were given extreme powers to the point where the constitution could have been used for toilet paper if they wanted.

And unfortunately, I think that attitude has stuck with many (NOT ALL) Pittsburgh Police officers.

Again, I am just reporting on the attitude of LEO's that I have been in contact with for the last few months.

When I would go into a store, gas station or restaurant and a LEO was standing near me, I would say "hello, how are you doing tonight?" and they would often say something back very politely.

Then, after the G20 when I greet an officer they give me a look like they want to strangle me and say nothing.

Mind you, I am a very clean cut professional looking guy and I am always very polite. So there's no need for them to be completely ignorant to me.

Something strange is going on here in this town folks.
I dont like where its heading.

aadvark

imported post

Philadelphia and Pittsburgh think they are their own Republics, but as we all know, they are not.

The only two things I can think of that would help are:

1. MakePittsburgh a City of the First Class, so that theymay require a License to Carry Firearms, for any Person who does so, within their City, OR

2. Fire all of the Police who think they are above the Laws of The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Sig229

imported post

aadvark wrote:
Philadelphia and Pittsburgh think they are their own Republics, but as we all know, they are not.

1. MakePittsburgh a City of the First Class, so that theymay require a License to Carry Firearms, for any Person who does so, within their City, OR

That means nobody could OC unless they have a LTCF then right?

Screw that.

virginiatuck

imported post

aadvark wrote:

If anything, Pittsburgh's class is on its way to being downgraded because so many people continue to move away. Now, if they based class on the number of Pittsburgh Steeler fan's throughout the country, it'd certainly be a City of the First Class. It's totally based on population over a number of years. Read the code for the details.

Besides, how would that status help our cause? Seems to me it would hurt it.

Farmer Troy

imported post

As I just posted in one other forum a few minutes ago, yesterday I visited my father in Shadyside hospital, and I decided to conceal during the visit just to avoid causing a scene. I saw no signs saying anything about firearms, but I was curious if anybody has ever had any experiences OCing in any Pittsburgh hospitals?

As for the police, I just heard an LEO on KDKA yesterday saying that the police in and around Pittsburgh are so on edge with all the recent cop shootings and killings, that they are scared for their lives, and are overreacting in situations involving firearms.

This radio show was talking about the guy that brandished a weapon against a police officer who told him to remove his "Pittsburgh chair," which in case you don't know, is a placeholder for keeping your snow shoveled parking spot.

I hear the LEO fired at the brandisher but missed, and subsequently a small firefight broke out and eventually he surrendered with nobody getting hurt.

thejax

imported post

Through my personal experience, I go to Pittsburgh all the time for work. I don't like Pittsburgh but what can ya do?

I open carry there only when I am working as the type of job i do, its recommended. I wear my permit even though I do not need a permit to OC and sometimes also call upon local PD for assistance in what i need to do.

I have personally never been hassled about my firearm in Pittsburgh but then again, I wear nice pants and a polo with my position on my shirt so there ya go.

No, I am not revealing what I do. Just saying i'm a civilian and never been hassled. For all of you that have been hassled, I hope we get that straightened out.