• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man ruins open carry dinner meeting by bringing long gun into a Michigan Ponderosa

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Looks like some guy decided to carry a long gun to a restaurant and disrupt a planned open carry dinner meeting - if were my restaurant I would have kicked the bunch out too - just where and how are you going to secure a rifle while eating dinner?

Come on folks, we've said it before - open carry is about normalizing gun ownership through properly holstered open carry of handguns. Not scary carry of rifles which have inherent muzzle control problems and no trigger guard.

--

http://www.wilx.com/news/headlines/83486052.html

SNIP

LANSING -- Quite the scene developed outside Ponderosa Steakhouse in South Lansing this past Saturday afternoon.

About seven men walked into the restaurant, packing guns -- open for all to see in holsters on their hips. A short while later, Lansing Police showed up to show the men out.

if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write('');if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']){ document.write(plpm['Mid-Story Ad']);} else { if(self['plurp'] && plurp['97']){} else {document.write(''); } }if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write('');

A verbal argument between the gun carriers and officers ensued, caught on camera by a bystander (the video can be viewed at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzPTi8heUTQ).

"The open carriers were of course not happy, because they were minding their own business, doing a lawful activity," said Tyler Hilliker, a gun rights supporter who was at Ponderosa on Saturday.

Under Michigan law, people with legally registered handguns can openly carry them in public. The men who walked into Ponderosa, in fact, were members of the Michigan Open Carry. They were holding a meeting to discuss precisely that right.

Only thing is, private property owners can refuse them.

"My analogy would be: If you come to my home, that's private property. I can decide who I want and my home and who not," said Teresa Szymanski, captain of the Lansing Police Department's South Precinct.

Officials from Michigan Open Carry say the owner of Ponderosa greed to let them hold a meeting at the restaurant. But he says he didn't expect the meeting to be held on a busy Saturday -- and certainly didn't expect the men to bring more than handguns.

"At first, we looked the other way on the handguns," said owner Dennis Holleran. "And then some gentleman shows up with an assault rifle, and that was just too far over the top."

wally1120

imported post

Please lets not open this can of worms again, We are having enough problems here in MI as it is right now. We can`t get along with each other, And we sure as hell dont need a out of stater coming in our forum making even more of a problem. So please go away? I am trying to be nice, But I am trying to get MI back on track. So we don`t need to have salt poured into the wound.

Bailenforcer

imported post

Mike wrote:
Looks like some guy decided to carry a long gun to a restaurant and disrupt a planned open carry dinner meeting - if were my restaurant I would have kicked the bunch out too - just where and how are you going to secure a rifle while eating dinner?

Come on folks, we've said it before - open carry is about normalizing gun ownership through properly holstered open carry of handguns. Not scary carry of rifles which have inherent muzzle control problems and no trigger guard.

--

SNIP

LANSING -- Quite the scene developed outside Ponderosa Steakhouse in South Lansing this past Saturday afternoon.

About seven men walked into the restaurant, packing guns -- open for all to see in holsters on their hips. A short while later, Lansing Police showed up to show the men out.

if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write('');if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']){ document.write(plpm['Mid-Story Ad']);} else { if(self['plurp'] && plurp['97']){} else {document.write(''); } }if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write('');

A verbal argument between the gun carriers and officers ensued, caught on camera by a bystander (the video can be viewed at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzPTi8heUTQ).

"The open carriers were of course not happy, because they were minding their own business, doing a lawful activity," said Tyler Hilliker, a gun rights supporter who was at Ponderosa on Saturday.

Under Michigan law, people with legally registered handguns can openly carry them in public. The men who walked into Ponderosa, in fact, were members of the Michigan Open Carry. They were holding a meeting to discuss precisely that right.

"My analogy would be: If you come to my home, that's private property. I can decide who I want and my home and who not," said Teresa Szymanski, captain of the Lansing Police Department's South Precinct.

Officials from Michigan Open Carry say the owner of Ponderosa greed to let them hold a meeting at the restaurant. But he says he didn't expect the meeting to be held on a busy Saturday -- and certainly didn't expect the men to bring more than handguns.

"At first, we looked the other way on the handguns," said owner Dennis Holleran. "And then some gentleman shows up with an assault rifle, and that was just too far over the top."
fixed link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzPTi8heUTQ

THway

imported post

mastiff69 wrote:
Thank you for your common sense input into our Michigan Open Carry dilemma
+1

Thank you Mike for stating the obvious for some of our 'members'.

Please lets not open this can of worms again, We are having enough problems here in MI as it is right now. We can`t get along with each other, And we sure as hell dont need a out of stater coming in our forum making even more of a problem. So please go away? I am trying to be nice, But I am trying to get MI back on track. So we don`t need to have salt poured into the wound.
Wally,

Mike is not opening any can of worms. Mike is the co-founder of Open Carry.org. It is blatantly obvious that the owners of this site and forum, who are also the fathers of the open carry movement, disapprove of this method of open carry.

This should serve as a warning that OCDO does not condone or endorse this form of carry, and I think it is safe to say that Michigan Open Carry also feels the same way.

Bailenforcer

imported post

Mike wrote:

--

SNIP

I have a long history of support of carry both open and concealed and I would have told the man with the long gun to leave as well. There is a time and place for everything, and rubbing the managers face in sh*t, per se' after they were given the green light was over the top. Some people have their own agenda at heart and don't vcare what damage they do to others.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You surely must see the irony. You are making the exact same argument about long arm open carry that the anti-gun folks make about pistol open carry.

It is to scary.
It just "isn't right".
It is paranoid.
Who needs a long arm? That is just over doing it.
It might scare the children.

Rugerp345

imported post

Whats the problem? No difference that the stooge who painted his AK orange tip and went to the state park Rambo style.

Ain't it his "right" to bring his rifle?

"open carry is about normalizing gun ownership..."
I thought we decided to hell with that so long as it isn't illegal?

jfrenchudm

imported post

Apparently, you also missed KG's post where he said that he went with every intention of meeting the private property owner's wishes; he said that had the manager aproached him and asked him to leave his rifle in his vehicle, he would have done so. Instead, the coward called the police.

Also, so what if he is one of the founders? Apparently only the open carry of pistols is ok by him. So your right to carry a rifle is non-existent in his mind. Before you go posting, saying that I am some type of extremist, check my posts (although few), which I believe to be quite moderate.

G

imported post

I knew that MOC, Inc. was a "hangun only" organization, as it is clearly posted in their mission statement on its website. I was not aware that OCDO had a similar restriction. I had looked throughout here to ascertain it there was any position. I have seen numerous posts throughout the states areas referring to OC of rifles without admonishment for doing so. I see now that, based on Mike's starting of this thread that OC of a rifle is not condoned by OCDO either.

Thank you Mike for informing us of this.

Bailenforcer

imported post

jfrenchudm wrote:
Apparently, you also missed KG's post where he said that he went with every intention of meeting the private property owner's wishes; he said that had the manager aproached him and asked him to leave his rifle in his vehicle, he would have done so. Instead, the coward called the police.

Also, so what if he is one of the founders? Apparently only the open carry of pistols is ok by him. So your right to carry a rifle is non-existent in his mind. Before you go posting, saying that I am some type of extremist, check my posts (although few), which I believe to be quite moderate.
Coward?
No is they wanted to bring long guns it would be proper and pure common sense to do so and not blind side someone who just showed you support. It was a stupid move and not well thought out and hurt all of us. If I ask for a OC lunch gathering and the manager understand it's holstered handguns then I do just that, and not push the issue with more than I asked for. We have a social responsibility to be up front and not be deceptive.

As much as I agre with carry this one was not well thought out and not the mangers fault. What is agreed on is agreed on and they should have been warned of long guns.

Bailenforcer

imported post

jfrenchudm wrote:

Extreme is to agree on "A" then try and push "XYZ" that was never discussed.

Bailenforcer

imported post

Do people here really miss the point, or are they refusing to see the logic here?

When I knowingly agree to an event which covers open carry of hand guns, I don't BLINDSIDE they manager who's is risking their job and business to support us or me.
This is idiotic and poor thinking at the least.

Now if I asked the Manager for member of the Michigan AR-15 carry club to some there and said manager fully understands we will show up with AR-15's strapped to us them yes the manger would be an idiot.

To omit this information about long guns knowing the manager expected to only see holstered handguns is being dishonest. A lie by omission is still a lie. It made the manager look like a fool, and everyone who was part of the event. Why do people try and defend such dishonesty?

Why is this so hard for some to grasp?