• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DO SOMETHING!

Superlite27

imported post

In another thread, a new member repeated what he was told by his instructor. I have to thank him because it led me to re-examine my own thoughts. After replying, I decided to post my response in an entirely new thread, becauseI hope others can benefit from my own self examination as well. I really like new members. "Fresh meat" often opens our eyes and causes us to think about things we've lazily not even attempted to think about.

In another thread:

jensen_lover wrote:
Well said. I guess I did not think of it that way with the blue shirt example. I guess I blindly believed the guy because he seemed really knowlegeable.

Thanks. We all have a tendency to do the same thing. I used the "hook method" of using my thumb to raise my shirt when drawing from concealment because this is what my original instructor taught was "the correct way" to present.

It didn't feel natural to me, so I questioned it and he reiterated, "This is how it is done. You put your weak hand out in a "stop" gesture, and raise your shirt with your thumb to draw your weapon. It's just how it's done."

What a bunch of BS. After practicing and practicing, it still felt unnatural. (I would consistently have to "search" around to find my shirt hem or actually "look" to see if my thumb really hooked my shirt.) After much practice, I called baloney on his "right" way.

I went to what feels natural to me. I now "reach" with my strong hand while simultaneously grasping my cover garments on my strong side with my weak hand pulling them up and out of the way. Not only does this completely remove any obstructions to direct contact of my strong hand to my weapon, it ensures there is nothing there to catch, I don't have to "fiddle" with my shirt, and it also places my weak hand closer to my weapon in order to quickly pick up a two handed firing grip before extending,I don't have to worry about my weapon snagging, it also bunches up my elbow in front of my heart should the BG be on target. I'd rather "take one" through my arm before it hits my chest than stright to the thorax.....tons of benefits.

It comes with any human activity, not only in self defense. Learning from an experienced instructor is a good thing. But refusing to adapt the things we learn to our own feelings and experiences and following exactly what we're taught without question is not good.

Your instructor is perfectly fine in believing what he does. This is fine for him. But, as with what I've took away from my first instructor, active (as opposed to passive) thought is what we all need to do. Think and act for ourselves! Determine our own way of addressing problems!

The same with the OC movement. There are folks here who participate in the OC movement using different methods than I do. This is a good thing! This means that we are all promoting the same ideals, but we're all using a multifaceted approach. How can we lose? The anti-gunners have no way to oppose us other than using the same old tired methods againstour constantly evolving and ever changing tactics.

The only way we can lose is to develop static and unchanging methods and predetermined viewpoints we parrotlike we have been instructed to do. Once we build an unwavering outlook and recite a memorized stance on how we adress 2A issues, the "enemy" (anti's) will formulate an effectiveplan to attack it.

All anyone has to do to help the Brady Campaign is keep reacting to situations, keep addressing their arguments, and continue to express your right to carry in the same way you always have.

The best thing you can do for gun rights is closely examine your own method of approaching situations, expressing opinions, and participating in OC activities. Examine these methods and beliefs. Have they become stale? Have you developed a "routine" of thought or action? Think about doing something different or approaching a firmly held belief in a new direction.

OC at a friend or relative'sfuneral. Leave a "Defensive Handgun Monthly" on your dentist's coffee table. OC at that swanky liberal hangout you'd never be dragged into. Set up a shooting match with local LEO's at a nearby range. Bring up firearms at your new next door neighbor's cookout. Quit your job if they won't let you deliver while armed. Write a pro-carry letter to the local newspaper as an initiative instead of a response. Do something...........NEW!

(Edited for stupidity. "week hand" HA!)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Indeed it is good to keep an open mind to new ideas and techniques.

Appreciate your sharing your thoughts - I generally agree except reguarding the instructor. In many ways the instructor is NOT entitled to express his own opinions. Whether he is certified by NRA or DCJS, there are certain guidelines, parameters in which he must work.

His statement about others right to peace vs your right to carry would be cause for me to file a formal complaint with the sanctioning body. In fact I likely would have challanged him in class, but that is just me.

The real problem here is that I do not know in which state this occurred, so I am responding as if it were in Virginia - where we do not have to maintain concealment and printing is not a violation.

Yata hey

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I have a mission. That mission is to introduce as many responsible people as I can to the world of handgunning. To that end I've managed to get about a half dozen people to the range in the past several months who had never before shot a handgun. Once that happens, they usually end up asking questions, which I answer to the best of my knowledge. If I don't know I find out.

I'm not one for being the front man in a crowd, but I'll certainly help, quietly and steadily, to build that crowd.

jensen_lover

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
His statement about others right to peace vs your right to carry would be cause for me to file a formal complaint with the sanctioning body. In fact I likely would have challanged him in class, but that is just me.

It made so much sense at the time. The way he worded it made me think, "Why didn't I think of that." I guess since the right we gather here to improve awareness of makes some people uncomfortable, his statementseemed like a logical thought.

Bookman wrote:
I have a mission. That mission is to introduce as many responsible people as I can to the world of handgunning. To that end I've managed to get about a half dozen people to the range in the past several months who had never before shot a handgun. Once that happens, they usually end up asking questions, which I answer to the best of my knowledge. If I don't know I find out.

I'm not one for being the front man in a crowd, but I'll certainly help, quietly and steadily, to build that crowd.
I sort of do the same. I would not call it a mission. I have brought a few chicks, my sister, and my mother is about to come. My mom is 100% against me open or concealed carrying. My jaw hit the floor when she said she wanted to come to the range. My sister enjoyed it and told my mom how much fun it was. My mom is convinced I will shoot myself or somone will mug me and take my gun.